Brompton or singlespeed

A bit of a dilemma, 6 mile each way commute so trying to decide between £300/£400 singlespeed or splash the cash on a 6 speed brompton. Had a 2 speed before but my ride then was 10 mile each way-and switched between that and the road bike. My commute is flat-past hyde park/victoria/Vauxhall Bridge then just past the oval. Help!

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    Why 6 speed or single speed?

Brompton is always a winner in London, don't have to spend money on heavy locks
    left the forum March 2023
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,495
    As far as I can tell, the real benefit of a Brompton is that it folds and hence you can get in on / off trains etc easily, or you can "park" it at work easily. If you don't need these benefits then I'd question why you'd want one for general riding.

Singlespeed is low maintenance and I had a genesis flyer some years ago that I really liked riding. I'm not familiar with the route though.
  • barker70
    barker70 Posts: 8

Found the 2 speed brompton a bit"harsh and saddle bouncy on the under carriage"used to love training on fixed wheel
  • ugo.santalucia
    barker70 said:

Found the 2 speed brompton a bit"harsh and saddle bouncy on the under carriage"used to love training on fixed wheel
    Bouncy because you had the soft bung, most likely. The new ones all have the firm suspension bung, so that shouldn't be a problem. I have a 2 speed, but I've recently converted it to single speed. The mini derailleur often got jammed with dirt and with pistons like mine, the 74 inch gear is plenty... :)
    Get the single speed Brompton
  • barker70
    barker70 Posts: 8

barker70 said:

Bouncy because you had the soft bung, most likely. The new ones all have the firm suspension bung, so that shouldn't be a problem. I have a 2 speed, but I've recently converted it to single speed. The mini derailleur often got jammed with dirt and with pistons like mine, the 74 inch gear is plenty... :)
    It's a mission to find a brompton but I'll probably go for a single speed one,need to settle in my new job then get one, I'll be working in a bike shop so free servicing if needed.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,495

barker70 said:

Sorry, I realise I had misunderstood the question.
  • ugo.santalucia
    singleton said:

Sorry, I realise I had misunderstood the question.

I don't think the question is very clear...
  • If it's flat ish then consider the 3 speed, any sniff of hills and I'd go 6 speed.
    Unless you're super fit and it's really no inclines, then the single speed is going to be a liability. I've recently bought a 3 speed and I've been out on it twice, both times with achy knees, so I've gone to the expense of equipping it with a new rear wheel and all the parts for a 6 speed.