Boardman Hyb sizing

I'm looking at buying a Boardman Hyb 8.6 or 8.8 and would appreciate any experience folks have of sizing. I'm 178cm tall with an 82.5cm inside leg so according to the sizing chart I could fit a small or medium frame. With stock levels and restrictions being what they are I probably won't get to try both. FWIW my road bike is a 54cm Spesh Tarmac.

Comments

• JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,900
    I'm 176 cm and my Boardman MTX 8.8 is a good fit for me in a medium, so you should be good.
  • I'm 178cm with ~82cm cycling inseam (not trouser inseam, that's shorter), I would buy the small if both were in stock, for a less upright riding position.

However, I usually setup the seat height at 89-90cm from pedal top to top of saddle along line of seat tube. The small frame seat tube is only 45cm C-T and the supplied seat post is 350mm, of which 100mm will need to be inserted at a minimum. The saddle will be ~30mm rails to top so it's marginal with the 170mm cranks... It might need a longer seat post.

I'd probably replace the 90mm stem with something a little longer from the spares box, 110mm... Which then means raiding the spares box for a handlebar, due to their odd decision to supply 1-piece stem/bars on these hybrids.

The small frame geo is quite similar to a conventional road bike frame for someone our size, it could be converted to a road bike in the future.

If you fancied the medium geo but would prefer 170mm cranks, I wouldn't rule out the "womens" large HYB 8.6 which is showing stock for me locally. At a glance, the geo matches the mens medium.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Thanks for the replies both.

I'm 178cm with ~82cm cycling inseam (not trouser inseam, that's shorter), I would buy the small if both were in stock, for a less upright riding position.

Wouldn't the medium give a less upright riding position ? i.e. longer top tube so more stretched out ?
  • Thanks for the replies both.

I'm 178cm with ~82cm cycling inseam (not trouser inseam, that's shorter), I would buy the small if both were in stock, for a less upright riding position.

Wouldn't the medium give a less upright riding position ? i.e. longer top tube so more stretched out ?
    The medium gains more stack than reach compared to the small, so even with the +10mm stem in the same orientation, the bars will be higher and so make you more upright... Creating slightly more aero drag.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo