New wheels on allez elite

I’m thinking of upgrading the wheels on my allez elite the stock wheels which are dtSwiss r460 are ok but I’m after something a bit lighter ive seen the prime rr carbon 50’s from wiggle for £499 but after hearing bad things about carbon rim brake wheels I’ve seen some hunt aero race wheels aluminium for £369 out of the 2 sets I do prefer the look of the carbon rims but after hearing about exploding wheels on descents etc I’m put of any advice greatly appreciated

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    The carbon rims that explode are usually unbranded Chinese imports. Get the wiggle carbon ones with some wiggle blue carbon brake blocks and you will be fine.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    I have Primes and haven't had a problem

Have run Chinese carbons for years and never had a problem be it training, commuting, racing, Etaping, riding in the mountains for days.

There is nothing wrong with carbon rim brakes

Buy the Primes with, as above, the carbon pads and all will be lush.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Ok cheers matt. I don’t do any mountain descents but some of my routes there is a few steep short descents would they be ok because I have read that rim braked carbon rims are no good going down hill as the carbon melts and rim explodes
  • webboo
    oxoman said:

Carbon rim brakes tend to be pants in the rain even with decent blocks. I'd go with aluminium and possibly even look at handbuilts.

Have you ever ridden carbon rims in the rain Oxo. You just need to clear the water off the rims with a couple of squeezes on the brake leavers and your good to go.
    However if you don’t do this and are heading in a hairpin bend at 30 mph it a bit of a trouser filler moment.
  • webboo

Ok cheers matt. I don’t do any mountain descents but some of my routes there is a few steep short descents would they be ok because I have read that rim braked carbon rims are no good going down hill as the carbon melts and rim explodes

I know most of the pros are now on discs but trying watching mountain races of 3 or 4 years ago and see if you can spot any rims melting.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333

Ok cheers matt. I don’t do any mountain descents but some of my routes there is a few steep short descents would they be ok because I have read that rim braked carbon rims are no good going down hill as the carbon melts and rim explodes

I would say though if you're the kind of cyclist who drags their brakes down an incline then carbon rim brake wheels may not be for you.

However, it would be very rare if the carbon melts and explodes.

• womack
    womack Posts: 566
    Full carbon wheels including brake track and rim brakes rider here and never had a problem.

Sometimes I just despair at some of the stories put about. I'm sure somewhere a Tesla has caught fire and there are similar forums discussing "should I buy a Tesla because I've heard they all catch fire and fry the occupants alive"
  • Think I’m going to pull the trigger and get the prime rr carbons
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

ciao!

they will be perfect - so long as you don't drag your brakes down alpine descents for km after km after km after km after km all is groovy sauce - nice smooth descending and braking as necessary.

Tbh, even if you do go massive ham fisted you've got to be doing something utterly mega to make a rim explode.

Wiggle/Prime are excellent as well, so no worries there.

And deep rim carbons sound utterly mega as well, so no reason not to.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    I have the Prime 50mm Black version and they have been fantastic no problem stopping them in the wet or dry, I had to do a very quick stop just after I had them and they stopped on a dime 70kph to zero in a few seconds
    Also when in the wet as with any rims alu or carbon you have to clear the water off the rim to stop effectively, as others have said just a couple of light squeezes on the brakes and that clears the water.
    I tend to put my Alu wheels on when wet ( Change your brake pads as well when you go from Carbon Wheels to Alu and vice versa ) and use the Carbon rims in the dry but only due to using them as Best wheels and and not wanting to wear the rims out in the wet gritty weather
    Ive covered 10,000 km on them and no wear so far I'm sure you won't regret the purchase 👍
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport