BB30 BB into a carbon frame - grease or no grease?

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,538
Morning all,

waiting for the tool to arrive to carry this out.

Frame is PX Exocet 2, full carbon.

Should I look to grease the area the bearings will sit in?

It's the setup with the retaining clips etc.
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• daniel_b
    Just checked the frame, and it has a metal sleeve so grease it is I assume.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Copperslip if you're going that route.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • daniel_b
    MattFalle said:

Copperslip if you're going that route.

Along these lines?

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Perfecto my man.

Copperslip for things that don't move, moly for that those that does
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    edited April 2021
    i dont use copperslip for bb30. I use a bearing seating compound. loctite 641 is the stuff for the job.

This will help ensure the bearing sits without creaking but when the time comes to replace you can knock them out.

The yellow (641) is the one for that application. this is the medium strength one.

On a bike I would use copperslip on threaded fittings that arent going to move such as threaded bottom bracket shells.

Key to the job youre doing is thorough cleaning / degreasing of the the surfaces before installation of the bearings
  • david37
    david37 said:

i dont use copperslip for bb30. I use a bearing seating compound. loctite 641 is the stuff for the job.

This will help ensure the bearing sits without creaking but when the time comes to replace you can knock them out.

The yellow (641) is the one for that application. this is the medium strength one.

On a bike I would use copperslip on threaded fittings that arent going to move such as threaded bottom bracket shells.

Key to the job youre doing is thorough cleaning / degreasing of the the surfaces before installation of the bearings

i havent had any, not one, creaking BB30 BB doing it that way.

I personally used bb30 for years before moving on to PF30 and I also run a bike repair / maintenance business for what its worth. perhaps I'm just lucky.

• lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    david37 said:

If everybody did this press fit bottom brackets would not have the reputation they have.
  • daniel_b
    Intriguing - so the idea is it bonds to a reasonable degree, but when sharply tapped/hit the bond breaks?

I never knew there was such a massive array of options out there.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • nibnob21
    nibnob21 Posts: 207
    Yeah Loctite 641 is used for press fits to account for any teeny tiny variations in the curvature between the male and female surfaces, such that these gaps are taken up and the load transfer is even around the circumference. I use it for the pivot bearings in the swingarm of my MTB, for example.
  • david37
    daniel_b said:

Intriguing - so the idea is it bonds to a reasonable degree, but when sharply tapped/hit the bond breaks?

I never knew there was such a massive array of options out there.

for sharply tapped read T waatted :)

• amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    you are Hambini and I claim my £5
  • daniel_b
    edited April 2021
    Surely there would be loads of censored words if that was true.

P.S I watched one of his videos from 3 years ago, and there was no swearing, and it was all quite normal - shame his style has changed drastically, generates more views overall I guess.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474

I use these - fit and ride in golden silence
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu