Which wheels?

Morning all. My first post on BikeRadar.. :#

I have a Canyon Ultimate 8.0 on order, which comes with DT Swiss P 1800 spline (https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/components/wheels/wheel-sets/dt-swiss-p-1800-spline-wheelset-review/).

But i've already got a set of Fulcrum Racing 4s on my existing bike (https://www.fulcrumwheels.com/en/wheels/road-bike-wheels/racing-4).

I think the Fulcrums would be better than then DTs...a little heavier but a touch more aero? What do you think? (tires and tubes would be the same).

Thanks,
Dan

Comments

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    Hi Dan and welcome,

Selling the DTSwiss wheels unused and putting the fulcrums on your new bike would probably be more cost effective, if that's a significant factor - but what are you planning to do with your existing bike? Sell it?
  • Thanks singleton!
    I'll be using the old bike for winter road and a bit of gravel riding (i have an older+solid wheelset for this).
    So I could use the DTs for winter, or sell them - hadn't considered that!

Either way it sounds like the Fulcrums would be considered the better set for the new bike?

Thanks again,
    Dan
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    It depends on the condition of the fulcrums, what kind of riding you will be doing and what size tyres you might fit.

DT Swiss are good wheels (I have some ER1600 myself) and they are well known for their hubs. The PR1800 are modern rims which are wider than the fulcrums which gives better airflow around the tyre - especially if you plan to fit 25mm or wider tyres.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    If you break a spoke on the Fulcrums it’s a mayor job to replace it.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Sell both sets and buy some sweeeeet carbon deep rim tubulars that bike deserves.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    MattFalle said:

Sell both sets and buy some sweeeeet carbon deep rim tubulars that bike deserves.

Even cobbled classics are now being won on clinchers. I think you just like the smell of solvent from tubular glue. There's not really any other good reason for using them these days.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,818

MattFalle said:

Even cobbled classics are now being won on clinchers. I think you just like the smell of solvent from tubular glue. There's not really any other good reason for using them these days.
    I've raced on tubs and my old 'clubbie' mates did too but I know of no-one that uses tubs for general riding.
    If your Canyon is Ultegra equipped then someone on here is likely to tell you to buy some deep phaat carbon wheels and smash your groupset into bits as it's not worthy of such a nice frame.
    Looks like the DTs are just under 1700g and come with nice GP5000 tyres but as they are low profile at you could gain speed with a deeper rim but your Fulcrums only up it from 23 to 35 which isn't much. Something like a 50mm rim depth carbon wheelset would help drop weight and improve aero - big range of price, weight and quality wheelsets to choose from if you go down the route of an additional / alternative set if you wanted to maybe sell one the Fulcrums or new DTs.
  • Thanks for the thoughts everyone! I like the sell both = carbon wheels option *insert evil laugh here*
  • MattFalle
    its the best option.

carpe diem

why work your backside off to ride a bike with crpppy ali wheels at the weekend?

Sell the junk

buy the carbons

enjoy it

you ride tubs and carbons because its your money, its funier, cooler, they ride better, better if you puncture and if you use tape quicker and easier to replace.

Prices are more than comparable.

They look better, function better, are lighter and make better noises.

They annoy square clubbies.

Puncture? Use a can of foam or have sealant in them

Enjoy it while you can. Man, you're gone for a long time - don't save yourself for tomorrow and ifs and buts and clubbies and earningshit. After the last year we should all realise this.

#phatdeepones
  • vegas76
    vegas76 Posts: 278
    Surprised matt hasn't suggested hunt wheels. He liked those.

Infact, he gets rather excited by them.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    MattFalle said:

its the best option.

carpe diem

why work your backside off to ride a bike with crpppy ali wheels at the weekend?

Sell the junk

buy the carbons

enjoy it

you ride tubs and carbons because its your money, its funier, cooler, they ride better, better if you puncture and if you use tape quicker and easier to replace.

Enjoy it while you can. Man, you're gone for a long time - don't save yourself for tomorrow and ifs and buts and clubbies and earningshit. After the last year we should all realise this.

#phatdeepones

The sentiment is fair enough depending on your opinion.

The explanation is terrible.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    MattFalle said:

its the best option.

carpe diem

Sell the junk

buy the carbons

enjoy it

#phatdeepones

.....and of course whatever else you do, if you don't slam the stem it will all be a complete waste of time and money.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,512
    If all you want from cycling is a ride at the weekend feeling some sort of unfounded superiority -looking cool, making "better noises" and somehow "annoying square clubbies" this might be the ideal setup for you. For others there are plenty of other options.
  • MattFalle
    lesfirth said:

MattFalle said:

its the best option.

carpe diem

Sell the junk

buy the carbons

enjoy it

#phatdeepones

.....and of course whatever else you do, if you don't slam the stem it will all be a complete waste of time and money.
    nah - spacer it up - above and below the stem.

at some point, sometime he may want to sell the bike and if he has cut the stem then he may lose out on a sale, so best to leave it as is.

• MattFalle
    masjer said:

If all you want from cycling is a ride at the weekend feeling some sort of unfounded superiority -looking cool, making "better noises" and somehow "annoying square clubbies" this might be the ideal setup for you. For others there are plenty of other options.

but won't he get the same feelings if he rides in the week as well?
  • MattFalle
    lesfirth said:

MattFalle said:

its the best option.

carpe diem

Sell the junk

buy the carbons

enjoy it

#phatdeepones

agree completely 100%, and think of the potential resale loss if at some point he may or may not decide to sell the bike.
  • masjer
    MattFalle said:

masjer said:

but won't he get the same feelings if he rides in the week as well?
    You mentioned cycling at the weekend. About how someone feels- I'd hate to guess their inner thoughts.
  • MattFalle
    Let the fella have options young man. Don't restrict by constricting.
  • Thanks all.
    If i sold both sets it looks like i'd be able to afford something in the ~£500 range without spending much more. SO something like the Prime RR 50 or 38s would be affordable. Or one of the Hunt Carbon Wide Aero range if i spent next weeks pocket money too...

What are your thoughts?

I live in North Yorks. Weigh 70kg. I'm not a particularly powerful rider, but love longer steady rides, with plenty of climbing. Some good short steep stuff near me. I would have thought 50 deep rims would be a bit impractical given the decent breezes we get. Something in the 30s not more practical?

:)
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065

Thanks all.
    If i sold both sets it looks like i'd be able to afford something in the ~£500 range without spending much more. SO something like the Prime RR 50 or 38s would be affordable. Or one of the Hunt Carbon Wide Aero range if i spent next weeks pocket money too...

What are your thoughts?

I live in North Yorks. Weigh 70kg. I'm not a particularly powerful rider, but love longer steady rides, with plenty of climbing. Some good short steep stuff near me. I would have thought 50 deep rims would be a bit impractical given the decent breezes we get. Something in the 30s not more practical?

:)

Incoming................
  • masjer
    Long steady rides, climbing, some steep, and wind -I would just keep the wheels you already have -they sound ideal. 30mm won't give much/any aero advantage.
    I'd try riding your new bike before upgrading.