Sagan to QS

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    edited April 2021
    Do they have the money? They're not known for spending big money on stars.

I personally think Israel SN may be a possible destination. There's a link there from way back:

Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    They will if Specialized pick up most of the tab. I read somewhere over the weekend that Leferve is close to sealing a 4-6 year deal with his current two main sponsors, so I don't think he'll be short of cash, especially as only three of his current squad have a contract for next season.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,195
    Asgreen just got a bit more expensive though...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • andyp
    That's a perennial problem for Leferve though, as his team win lots of races, and share those wins out more widely than most other teams, he's always managing the demands for more money with a fixed budget. Given how few riders improve on leaving the team, I'd imagine he gets away with paying a lot of talented riders a fair bit less than they'd get elsewhere.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Suggestions another big hitter may be leaving....
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Hang on, there was a rumour* that the BH owner was planning on buying the whole QS operation just to get his hands on Remco Evanepol. Is this not the shitpost in reverse..?

(*not sure quite how serious/realistic/possible it is)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,311
    Not even sure they really need him. No slight on Sagan. QS is just already so strong at what they do. Furthermore, if they are intent on supporting Remco into a perennial GC winner, they will probably have to trim the classics squad.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,073
    Would Sagan 'fit' in with QS? Has he ever had to share leadership before?
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Can't really see him moving to QS but I think it's becoming clear the relationship between him and the bora management is fraying.

Just a thought on QS though, isn't JA out of contact at the end of this season or next season? If he were to leave I guess Sagan would be the star name that keeps the sponsors happy. Although I still think it's unlikely he will end up there.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    Sounds like agent talk to get other teams interested.
    He didn't win Green last year and his last 'big' one day win was 2018 P-R. You'd imagine his ability to command the reported 4-5m Euro salary has declined massively.
  • ddraver
    edited April 2021
    Er ist kein Deutscher...

They did the same thing with Sam B
    - @ddraver
  • Rod11
    Rod11 Posts: 293
    Agree that this doesn't seem like it would be a good move for either party. And Lefevere was saying in Het Nieuwsblad this morning that he hasn't spoken to Sagan but any more to QS would need to be on his terms... Feels like either Sagan's agent trying to drum up interest or L'Equipe giong fishing
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,216
    redvision said:

Can't really see him moving to QS but I think it's becoming clear the relationship between him and the bora management is fraying.

Just a thought on QS though, isn't JA out of contact at the end of this season or next season? If he were to leave I guess Sagan would be the star name that keeps the sponsors happy. Although I still think it's unlikely he will end up there.

Lefevre always likes to have one big french rider on his roster.

Back in the day it was Virenque, then it was Chavanel, now it's JA.

Would be surprised if they let him go.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628

redvision said:

Lefevre always likes to have one big french rider on his roster.

Back in the day it was Virenque, then it was Chavanel, now it's JA.

Would be surprised if they let him go.
    He'll need to up the salary then - recent list (always taken with a pinch of salt of course) suggested JA was on about the same money as Aru (last yr).

JA could walk into Ineos on about 3-4m, get leadership for all the 1 day classics he wants, not have to worry about GC or even pulling in the train - they don't bother with sprinters anymore so he could be their 1 wildcard for the Tour, while the other 7 riders are leaders or support.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,584
    andyp said:

They will if Specialized pick up most of the tab. I read somewhere over the weekend that Leferve is close to sealing a 4-6 year deal with his current two main sponsors, so I don't think he'll be short of cash, especially as only three of his current squad have a contract for next season.

When Sagan used Specialized in a previous team they made custom bikes for him. Long and low. It could be the little things...
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    If you were looking to spend big money on a guaranteed winner now it wouldn't be Sagan would it. In a way moving Paris Roubaix suits him as he has an opportunity to get into top form for the World's/Roubaix - but it's very late in the year to use any success he might get there to lever a big move somewhere.

The Tour is going to be big for him - a green jersey and a stage or even two would work
    wonders
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • andyp
  • joeyhalloran

If you were looking to spend big money on a guaranteed winner now it wouldn't be Sagan would it. In a way moving Paris Roubaix suits him as he has an opportunity to get into top form for the World's/Roubaix - but it's very late in the year to use any success he might get there to lever a big move somewhere.

The Tour is going to be big for him - a green jersey and a stage or even two would work
    wonders

No but a guaranteed winner doesn't seem to be how big contracts are awarded in cycling. Big paychecks seemed to be based on guaranteed press coverage and talked about. Until last year Sagan was still guaranteed to have interviews published, talk about before every race, have a TV moto on his all day every race. That's all good for sponsors. Lots of the highest paid riders seem to be on the decline in terms of results, but riding a high of media attention (e.g. Chris Froome)

Sagan is a big enough name to not sign a contract unless October but still pretty much guarantee a contract.

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    I agree about press coverage - that does tend to follow wins but yes a has been gets more coverage than a never was.

I'm not sure Sagan can afford to wait until October - I'm not saying you are wrong I'm genuinely unsure. I mean he'd get a contract but would be get a contract to reflect him winning PR or the World's were he to do that €4m or whatever? Maybe he would I don't follow the finance side of cycling as closely as some.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,195
    Remco has just signed for 5 years on what is likely to be pretty good money, so if there was budget for Sagan before there might not be now.
    I'd be looking to tie Asgreen to a long contract (great as a domestique in the GTs as well as being a top classics rider)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • m.r.m.
    ddraver said:

Er ist kein Deutscher...

Neither is Remco and reports had it, Denk was trying to sign him away from QS.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,645
    I cant see sagan getting the green again.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • m.r.m.
    That depends on who participates who isn't tied down to helping their GC captain. WVA for example will be working for Roglic, so he may not be able to chase all the points Sagan can. MvdP might not even ride the Tour every single year. Don't think that is a lock from now on. Outside of those two I don't see anyone so far above Sagan.
  • ddraver
    m.r.m. said:

ddraver said:

Er ist kein Deutscher...

Neither is Remco and reports had it, Denk was trying to sign him away from QS.
    Suspect it might be why Remco is reluctant...

Fool me once etc
    - @ddraver
  • m.r.m.
    Hahaha no. Think he is just happy where he is. Bora hasn't demonstrated to be better than QS at anything to warrant a change. Changing teams during an injury is especially hard (recovery plan, expectations etc.).
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    edited April 2021
    Cavendish had his salary paid by someone and he'll be leaving 2022 so a berth there if someone is footing the bill. remco has a 5 yr deal so funds must be in place I would presume. Sagan is coming to the back of his career and isnt the rider du jour he was. Its about the other names now MvDP/WVA/Alaphillippe/Pogace etc.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,216
    Remco > Sagan (assuming he's OK post this awful accident)
  • joeyhalloran
    amrushton said:

Cavendish had his salary paid by someone and he'll be leaving 2022 so a berth there if someone is footing the bill. remco has a 5 yr deal so funds must be in place I would presume. Sagan is coming to the back of his career and isnt the rider du jour he was. Its about the other names now MvDP/WVA/Alaphillippe/Pogace etc.

This is chicken and egg. Sponsors want to know star rides will be in place before they sign up, I suspect Remeco's 5 year deal is the carrot to attract sponsors.