Ronde van Vlaanderen 2021 ***Spoilers***

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,348
edited April 2021 in Pro race
Holy week may have been postponed to October but we still get Holy Weekend.

On the plus side I am tied to my desk this weekend meaning I have nothing to do but watch the race.

Don't think there's a map cos 'rona but they only ever look like a spider has walked across a map of flanders and I'm sure we all know the ins and outs of the route by now

Food & Drink
The downside of being tied to my desk is that I can't drink so you can all sod off!. There's literally a whole thread on it anyway.

Oh and Valaamse Stoverij...

Fry 1 large white onion in a whole load of butter. Add 1500g Beef to brown. Slowly pour in 2 bottles of Westmalle Dubble - no there is no other option - Fast boil it for 5 mins to burn off all the alcohol (this is important!). Throw in some bay leaves and sundry other herbs and cook on as lower heat as possible for as long as possible. In the oven or on the stove will depend on how your imaginary Belgian Grandmother did it and you will defend this method more than your own life.

1 hour from finishing cover some thick brown bread with whole grain mustard and let it dissolve.

Serve with chips and mayonnaise - again, no other option - and beer of your choice

Favourites - Probably still the vans and JA innit. Another random OPQS team mate.

Sub-favourites - a classic rider who can sneak away on the Kwaremont and then TT like a beast for the last 10-15 km.
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,503
    Interesting to see just how the favourites have change over the last couple of years. Sagan, Gilbert and GVA are long odds at the bookies.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,549
    Gilbert isn’t even riding is he? Needs a break.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    Stybar out, issues with his heart.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137

Interesting to see just how the favourites have change over the last couple of years. Sagan, Gilbert and GVA are long odds at the bookies.

Gilbert was long odds when he won.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TheBigBean
    RichN95. said:

Gilbert was long odds when he won.
    Yes, and I was in the sceptical camp, but usually previous winners are subsequently considered more likely.
  • Bad news. Dan Lloyd's preview tweet has Carlton tagged in it, along with Maggy and Blythe.

No Rob Hatch, as I assume he will be doing the world feed that you see on Ronde Treasures
  • TheBigBean
    I've backed Sagan and Vanmarcke at 26 and 110 respectively.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741

Bad news. Dan Lloyd's preview tweet has Carlton tagged in it, along with Maggy and Blythe.

No Rob Hatch, as I assume he will be doing the world feed that you see on Ronde Treasures

Not sure which is the worse news: 7 hours of Kirby giggling and hyperventilating or Paris-Roubaix being cancelled.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,311

Maybe you can hedge those bets with a "Vanmarcke will get a puncture" certainty bet! 😉
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.

I got some (small) each way action on Sagan, Matthews and Turgis
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Staying away from the obvious three, I'll say Pidcock with an each way on Matthews and Turgis
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,123

Sagan and Stuyven have my small wagers. Both look value even if I don't expect them to win.
  • blazing_saddles
    The race due to begin in a minute.
    Kirby has started the live broadcast, so if you need to find the mute option....
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218

Sep’s been ill. Hence the long odds.

Good luck! (EW I presume)
  • rick_chasey
    Asgreen cutting a nervous figure at the sign on and fiddling about with his kit at the fake start
  • blazing_saddles
    Looks as if the gate might be closed and we have our BOTD.
  • rick_chasey
    Unusually slow start.

Peloton going very slowly for quite a while.

Most of us could keep up though it looks like at 211km to go jumbo finally take some responsibility
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    edited April 2021

Unusually slow start.

Peloton going very slowly for quite a while.

Most of us could keep up though it looks like at 211km to go jumbo finally take some responsibility

I've never seen the start before and wondered if 25kph was normal. It was slower than most neutralised zones.

MvdP loses a rider to a DQ for dealing with dodgy riding by an Astana rider. Astana rider gone too. Ludicrous behaviour when they were basically on a club run at the time.
  • RichN95.
    edited April 2021
  • Pross
    RichN95. said:
    Pulled his brakes on unnecessarily. Most of the other riders at the front had words with him rather than the Alpecin rider.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    whats the expected time for this to finish today?
  • Pross
    192km to go so at a guess about 3.15
  • Pross
    MvdP already off the back. PTP carnage!

:wink:
  • david37
    riding on seatpost with no saddle ooooft potential for pain
  • david37
    Sep having his puncture 159k to go
  • david37
    very quick wheel change for warren bargueil.
    front wheel disc no slower than a rim brake!
  • blazing_saddles
    It's very nearly beer o'clock as we approach the pointy end of affairs.
  • blazing_saddles
    Eerie Oude Kwaremont
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    ES audio problems somewhat irritating
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • david37
    where are the crowds.......... most odd