Re-assemble pivot bolt spacer issue

Hi, Does anyone have any tricks on how to get the spacers in for a pivot bolt on a t130? With one side in there's no space to slot the other, tried both at the same time but there's no space for that either.

Thought it could be the bearings so tried the old ones, that didn't work either, flummoxed!

Thanking anyone in advance with a miracle idea!

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    If nobody comes up with the recognised "Whyte" procedure (have you contacted them by the way?), then try this.

The suspension arm is either sprung by design or maybe by accident. So you need to lever the suspension arm outwards. Fit the spacer on one side first, then attempt the other. Get a big flat screwdriver, or a strong piece of wood to act as a lever. Protect the surfaces you are levering against. Then lever the suspension arm outwards until you can drop in the spacer. You might need helpful friend because what I am describing needs at least three hands. Best of luck and let us know how you get on.
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    My first idea would be to take the bolt back out and maybe substitute it with something shorter to keep the spacer/swingarm in place.

Screw the bolt into the swingarm from the wrong side so that all threads are engaged. You can now use the bolt as a lever to slightly open up the gap.

if that looks unlikely. cut a label panel from a plastic milk bottle and cut into two halves. If you can push the two layers into the gap where the spacer needs to go then you can put the spacer between the layers and tap it in with a screw driver/hammer. The two layers should help guide it in and protect the frame.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    please don't start levering things apart with screwdrivers unless you want to phuck everything up.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Thanks, prep work done just need to recruit some hands tomorrow.

Screwing the bolt into the swing arm definitely gives some leverage, I'm feeling confident.😁

Will report back.

• steve_sordy
    mully79 said:

...........................cut a label panel from a plastic milk bottle and cut into two halves. If you can push the two layers into the gap where the spacer needs to go then you can put the spacer between the layers and tap it in with a screw driver/hammer. The two layers should help guide it in and protect the frame.

I like that idea! :)
  • steve_sordy
    MattFalle said:

please don't start levering things apart with screwdrivers unless you want to phuck everything up.

I agree that too aggressive an approach could cause damage, but I wasn't suggesting brute force hero heaves, just enough to insert the spacer. Plus a recco to protect the surfaces.
  • steve_sordy
    So we still don't know the approved method of doing this?
  • All sorted some great advice here thank you.

Special thanks to @mully79 for these pearls: "Screw the bolt into the swingarm from the wrong side so that all threads are engaged. You can now use the bolt as a lever to slightly open up the gap.

if that looks unlikely. cut a label panel from a plastic milk bottle and cut into two halves. If you can push the two layers into the gap where the spacer needs to go then you can put the spacer between the layers and tap it in with a screw driver/hammer. The two layers should help guide it in and protect the frame."

I did both of the above, then lots of gentle tapping and persuasion. Dead chuffed!!
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    Awesome job :D
    Nice to be able to help B)