Hybrid forks rattling

Hi
I've just switched a stem riser from a Btwin to an Orbea. It fits fine but the forks on the Orbea are now rattling slightly at the crown.

Any ideas ?

And the Orbea doesn't feel as quick. It's lighter, which is great for the hills, but seems more effort than the Btwin

Comments

• mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    The top cap on the stem tensions the bearings in the headset.
    You need to tension the bearings correctly before tightening the stem clamp bolts .
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    whats the gearing on the Orbea compared to the BTwin?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • mully79 said:

You need to tension the bearings correctly before tightening the stem clamp bolts .

So top stem bolt ( long vertical one ) first before the horizontal clamp ones ?

• MattFalle said:

It's an 18 speed, whereas the the Btwin was 24, but the drivetrain just doesn't feel as smooth. Like there's that lovely feeing in the right gear on the right incline and yet this just feels / sounds different
  • MattFalle

mully79 said:

yes

put stem on but don't do up bolts

tighten vertical bolt - go to finger tight plus half a turn

apply front brake to make sure no forward/backward movement. if movement do 1/2 turn more until no movement.

make sure bars flick left to right with no issues

i then do a 1/4 turn extra for paranoia reasons but make sure all still flicks with no problem

then do stem bolts.
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

It's an 18 speed, whereas the the Btwin was 24, but the drivetrain just doesn't feel as smooth. Like there's that lovely feeing in the right gear on the right incline and yet this just feels / sounds different
    could be you just have to get used to different gearing....

is it all clean? bike looks gopping in that other piccie you have posted?
  • MattFalle

mully79 said:

is that conical spacer flush in? looks like a gap in that piccie

is it the proper spacer than came with tbe headset?
  • MattFalle said:

mully79 said:

yes

put stem on but don't do up bolts

tighten vertical bolt - go to finger tight plus half a turn

apply front brake to make sure no forward/backward movement. if movement do 1/2 turn more until no movement.

make sure bars flick left to right with no issues

i then do a 1/4 turn extra for paranoia reasons but make sure all still flicks with no problem

then do stem bolts.
    Thanks. I'll try that process - I went through it again and it was tighter but still not right.
  • MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

could be you just have to get used to different gearing....

is it all clean? bike looks gopping in that other piccie you have posted?
    Hahaha. Yes, that was after I'd been out to test how it felt with the riser - it was a new drive train and normally clean as...
  • MattFalle said:

mully79 said:

is that conical spacer flush in? looks like a gap in that piccie

is it the proper spacer than came with tbe headset?
    There's a gap in the pic as I took it during the check - it was just to illustrate what was there without the riser.

I presumed it was the spacer which came with the bike; fiddly black plastic ring underneath it.
  • This is the bike as standard, with the cone spacer but not the discs