Abolish daylight saving?

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,687
    Once upon a time it would have been easy to move to Central European Time: move to Central Europe.

I think this is just all proxy for people hating short days, and they'll never be happy, whatever the clock says. Personally I find it more depressing having to go to work in the dark than coming home in the dark. They did double BST in the late 1960s, but it didn't last.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195

I think this is just all proxy for people hating short days, and they'll never be happy...

But I get nothing done in the morning and as SB said, winter temps don't lure me out - even of we went back 2 hours in winter, if it's bad weather, i'm not pedalling outdoors first thing. I could get a 1 hour ride and a shower in before helping get the girls together IF I got up at 5.45am (it would still be dark). Fcuk that. I could however, use that hour at the end of the day after the school run, so could the girls.

As far as farming is concerned, it's irrelevant.

I suffer SAD and it would actually make a helluva difference for me and many others. So it actually might make me happier.
    Stevo_666 said:

I think you mean make daylight savings permanent Mr. P?

Yes, perhaps I should have worded it differently to avoid people going into pedant mode.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Mentioning SAD, I would have thought the days of daylight when you wake up would be better for that than having it light longer at the end of the day. I thought it was waking in darkness that was the main cause.
  • pinno
    Pross said:

Mentioning SAD, I would have thought the days of daylight when you wake up would be better for that than having it light longer at the end of the day. I thought it was waking in darkness that was the main cause.

The clocks would have to go back 2 hours for me to wake up in daylight.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    pinno said:

I think this is just all proxy for people hating short days, and they'll never be happy...

But I get nothing done in the morning and as SB said, winter temps don't lure me out - even of we went back 2 hours in winter, if it's bad weather, i'm not pedalling outdoors first thing. I could get a 1 hour ride and a shower in before helping get the girls together IF I got up at 5.45am (it would still be dark). Fcuk that. I could however, use that hour at the end of the day after the school run, so could the girls.

As far as farming is concerned, it's irrelevant.

I suffer SAD and it would actually make a helluva difference for me and many others. So it actually might make me happier.
    Stevo_666 said:

I think you mean make daylight savings permanent Mr. P?

Yes, perhaps I should have worded it differently to avoid people going into pedant mode.

I suffer from SAD too but I get more done in the morning than the rest of my day.

I also, pre corona anyway, get up at 5.45...

I don't think where the hours fall in the day makes much difference, at least not to me.

Certainly down south in the winter you usually have one leg of your commute in light/partial light, so I can see the attraction for keeping the clock change.

I think whoever said moaning about daylight saving as a proxy for the shortening of the days probably have it right.

It's miserable in the dark.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    What we really need are for scientists to invent an artificial sun for the Winter.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164
    My OH bought a SAD light and thinks it works quite well.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Stevo_666 said:

I don't think SAD exists. It is just another way of saying winter is shjt.

Personally I have found that a winter at home affords more time outside when it is good weather. Way better than night time commutes.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,485

Stevo_666 said:

Personally I have found that a winter at home affords more time outside when it is good weather. Way better than night time commutes.
    So, your saying you felt better when you were exposed to more daylight? 🤔
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    edited March 2021

Stevo_666 said:

I have various strategies: enjoy the excuse to have longer evening indoors and not feeling guilty about not getting out on the bike; when the clock goes back, tell myself it's only nine weeks until the evenings will start drawing out; make the most of the daylight when it's there and appreciate the good days, however few.

OK, maybe I'm never going to be a motivational speaker, but it helps me get through to the spring.

tl;dr Yes, winter is ABS (a bit shït), but it's not that bad, and, like wind, will pass.
  • First.Aspect
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

So, your saying you felt better when you were exposed to more daylight? 🤔
    Yup. But is it a disorder?
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah. That’s why it’s called a disorder.
  • First.Aspect

Not if it is entirely normal.
  • rick_chasey
    So you don’t experience SAD so therefore it’s not a disorder, is that the logic here?
  • pinno

Are you implying that it's quite normal to experience a degree of SAD? I think that's what your trying to say.
  • First.Aspect

So you don’t experience SAD so therefore it’s not a disorder, is that the logic here?

No
  • First.Aspect
    pinno said:

Are you implying that it's quite normal to experience a degree of SAD? I think that's what your trying to say.
    Yes
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217

I'm reading the complete opposite i.e. everyone gets it so it isn't a disorder
  • pinno

pinno said:

Yes
    I agree.
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

Me too.

I don't think anyone likes winter as whole (ignoring skiing holidays for those who like them), apart from masochists, and it's mostly a case of muddling through the relative misery the best way one can. In affluent countries, it's not the existential threat it once was (the book 'Une soupe des herbes sauvages' abut survival in the French Alps in the early 20th century makes you realise how close death was through the winter back then for many people - starvation was a real threat), but it's never going to be as easy as the other seasons.
  • rick_chasey
    edited March 2021
    Not everyone gets it.

Not liking winter is not SAD.

FA has it the wrong way around. It’s a disorder so not everyone gets it.

I’d suggest the thing he sees everyone having probably isn’t the disorder.

A bit like everyone saying they don’t get on with gluten vs coeliacs.
  • rjsterry

Pross said:

Me too.

I don't think anyone likes winter as whole (ignoring skiing holidays for those who like them), apart from masochists, and it's mostly a case of muddling through the relative misery the best way one can. In affluent countries, it's not the existential threat it once was (the book 'Une soupe des herbes sauvages' abut survival in the French Alps in the early 20th century makes you realise how close death was through the winter back then for many people - starvation was a real threat), but it's never going to be as easy as the other seasons.
    I like winter. I'm not bothered about skiing. The worst bit of the last winter was that it was too warm and therefore never stopped f***ing raining.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pinno
    edited March 2021

Not everyone gets it.

Surely it's on a spectrum depending on the severity.
    If it's effects are severe, then it could be deemed as a disorder.
    Whereas, if you feel a bit down but it doesn't hinder you in any tangible way, you can't deem it as a disorder.

And there is a huge grey area in between.

• rjsterry
    pinno said:

Not everyone gets it.

Whereas, if you feel a bit down but it doesn't hinder you in any tangible way, you can't deem it as a disorder.

This conversation sounds an awful lot like when people confuse depression with 'feeling a bit down'.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pinno
    rjsterry said:

pinno said:

Not everyone gets it.

This conversation sounds an awful lot like when people confuse depression with 'feeling a bit down'.
    The point I was making.

• First.Aspect
    pinno said:

rjsterry said:

pinno said:

Not everyone gets it.

The point I was making.

No one is suggesting that people don't get depressed. I can write you a memoir on that. But if SAD was really a light-based condition, you would see more of it the further north people live. You don't.

So treating depression with a desk lamp reminds me of treating tendinitis with a swirly pattern IR laser.

The point I was making.
  • rjsterry
    A quick Google threw up an incidence of 8% in Sweden compared with 3% in the UK. I don't think worldwide data is that robust as it is so dependent on self-reported, so who knows, but NICE seem to be convinced and I would imagine they've researched more thoroughly than both of us.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• First.Aspect
    rjsterry said:

A quick Google threw up an incidence of 8% in Sweden compared with 3% in the UK. I don't think worldwide data is that robust as it is so dependent on self-reported, so who knows, but NICE seem to be convinced and I would imagine they've researched more thoroughly than both of us.

We had homeopathy on the NHS didn't we?
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I first heard about SAD in Northern Exposure, so it must be true.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk