Abolish daylight saving?

pinno
pinno Posts: 51,196
Wouldn't it be better not to be plunged into more darkness come end of October?

Kids would have an extra hour after school.

What do you do in the morning apart from prepare for work and or get the kids ready for school, so surely it's better to have the extra light at the end of the day?

https://www.change.org/p/federal-government-abolishing-daylight-saving-time?use_react=false
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Lousy farmers
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pinno
    ddraver said:

Lousy farmers

To think, it was 2 hours during the 'national effort'.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    I'd go for 2 hours during Summer - it'd be great to have light evenings - I did think with Covid it'd help us have a more outdoors lifestyle too.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Makes more of a difference up here. Without daylight savings time, it would be light after 9 am and still dark around 5 pm in December and January. So the start and finish of the day would be done in the dark. At least a lot of people get to go to school and work slightly in daylight if it is 8-4 instead.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    edited March 2021
    Annual troll thread? 😉 Nobody gets more darkness or light as the sun doesn't care.
    You are just swapping an hour of light in the evening for an hour of darkness in the morning. I blame the 9-5 mentality. I start work at 07:30, as an example.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    pinno said:

Daylight saving does not alter the amount of daylight or darkness.

If you want to make better use of daylight in the winter simply get up earlier.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    pinno said:

What do you do in the morning apart from prepare for work and or get the kids ready for school?

I (used to) go for a run or a bike ride, dark or not :smile:

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    In all fairness, the kids don't get a lot of say in their start and end times.

But seeing as Scotland will soon be a proud and independent nation, England and Wales can do what they like without worrying about the impact on Inverness schoolkids.

Ni exists in a twilight zone where it is able to stay in sync with as many differing rules as it likes simultaneously so doesn't really apply.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited March 2021
    https://www.waterstones.com/book/why-we-sleep/matthew-walker/9780141983769

If you're interested (or do a LOT of walking / driving - get the audiobook) - read this.

Some fascinating insights about our sleep, being an early riser / night owl, and DST.

The most effective performance enhancing drug that almost noone uses: sleep.
  • pinno
    wongataa said:

pinno said:

No, I know that.
    wongataa said:

Getting up earlier doesn't change school times.

• capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    wongataa said:

pinno said:

Start using a chainsaw when it gets light, see how many laughs you get from the neighbours.

The older I get, the better I was.

• pinno
    Another reason - to be more in line with European time.
    After all, we need as much trade as we can get...*

*Opens large tin of worms.

No, it's not a Troll thread Blakey - if you start work at 7.30am, it will make little difference to you.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    There's less of an argument for changing things in Winter. Kids do need to get to school and mine used to have to set off in the dark as it was (2.5 mile walk).

Summer though it's getting light about 6:30 already so we could get outdoor sport going in the evenings all the way through to when the clicks change again, sit out in beer gardens longer, etc. Basically just keep some of the outdoor activity we've seen in the last year with lock down going in the evenings.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • pblakeney
    edited March 2021
    pinno said:

No, it's not a Troll thread Blakey - if you start work at 7.30am, it will make little difference to you.

Surely we should be organising to suit the thing we cannot change, sunrise and sunset instead of timing things cos....well just cos. 😉 I time my work for that very reason. Topic seems to come up twice a year, every year.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    pblakeney said:

pinno said:

Surely we should be organising to suit the thing we cannot change, sunrise and sunset instead of timing things cos....well just cos. 😉 I time my work for that very reason. Topic seems to come up twice a year, every year.
    I really don't get why this is so hard for people to grasp. The poster boy industry for needing DST is farming which is probably the industry that most works by the sun rather than clocks
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    I would prefer income tax to be abolished , and the clocks left as they are😀
  • Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,696
    My tuppence worth:
    1.As far as I’m aware the origin of the clocks ‘moving’ was, it was said to give the farmers more daylight to work in. Yes I believe it was two hours during the war*.
    Farmers have used the daylight to their best advantage for years, no matter what the clock says. In modern times, many harvesting/farm vehicles have an array of lights that make it seem like daylight and therefore can and some do work twenty four hours day.

2.Another argument put forward more recently is children’s school hours. Where I am, school time is from 09:00 – 15:00/15:30 so moving the clocks by one hour has no real effect on this. Again in modern times many children are driven to school. In my day very few were driven, most like myself made their own way by walking, bus or bicycle. I don’t remember darkness making any impact.

The OP refers to a petition by an American. What the Americans do or don’t do means diddly squat to be quite frank.
    I’m not sure what would be best, GMT or BST. Maybe another time setting altogether but I would prefer no jumping of time at all. *Whatever happens you cannot have any more daylight/darkness
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    edited March 2021
    I think you mean make daylight savings permanent Mr. P?

I'm all for it as I prefer more light in the evening than the morning. Weekdays I've usually got my head down working on a morning and weekends I'll have a lie in, so who cares if it's a bit darker then?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    I'm with Stevo.

Plus I'm less likely to be up for some early morning activities in the winter as the temperature puts paid to that, whereas summer - the temp is more a defining factor than the light in the mornings whereas in the evenings the light is key
  • mr.b-campag
    mr.b-campag Posts: 384
    Isn't this now what is happening in the EU?
  • Scrap it!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Farmers can keep time as dictated by the sun, why do the rest of us follow suit?

Isn't this now what is happening in the EU?

That will make sure the Daily Mail types want to keep it
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    The farming argument is a load of bollocks. If they have animals then in winter they are all in barns with lighting systems. If it is crops then they are either not out in winter doing anything or there is no reason that they could not just start a bit later. Its as if they all have a horse when last time I checked tractors have pretty good lights.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    john80 said:

The farming argument is a load of bollocks. If they have animals then in winter they are all in barns with lighting systems. If it is crops then they are either not out in winter doing anything or there is no reason that they could not just start a bit later. Its as if they all have a horse when last time I checked tractors have pretty good lights.

From memory the farming argument is an old one and like you say, isn't really relevant any more.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    There was a documentary or article in a current affairs program many years ago, about the clocks changing, and why.

They talked about an accident which had happened in Scotland where a car went into a load of children who waiting for a school bus, and it killed/injured many. This apparently was an often quoted accident, brought up whenever there was a mention of changing to permanent summer time, and is even mention in Hansard, some MP would say "what about the Xxxxx affair"

The only problem was, that when the researches went to Xxxxx to get details, no-one in the place had ever heard of it happening! I recall the local paper reported was asked, and them saying "if that had happened, I would have remembered it."

I or they might have it wrong, if you know different, I'm sure you'll say.

I've always hated the clocks going back, they could leave them on summer time as far as I'm concerned. The real bug bear for me has always been why it takes until the end of March to put them forward. That's 3 months after the shortest day, whereas they go back two months before the shortest day. It's never made any sense to me.

The older I get, the better I was.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    Yeah, move UK onto Central European Time. Longer lighter summer evenings, everybody happy.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    orraloon said:

Yeah, move UK onto Central European Time. Longer lighter summer evenings, everybody happy.

How long do you want? It's dark at 11pm here In the summer. If you ever visit the Carribbean they note that the nights are getting longer at like 7 pm....
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Whilst I love the long evenings it can give me a problem for some of my work as it involves having to do site visits in daylight and darkness with the daylight visit involving otbers.

In December I just go out for about 3pm and by the end it is getting dark. Midsummer the latest I can usually get anyone to meet is 4pm and it isn't dark enough until at least 10.30pm so I either have to hang around for hours which is difficult at the moment with no pubs or restaurants open or travel home and back again which is a pain when sites are often 2 hours or more away.

Occasionally I get lucky. Last year I had one scheduled in at a site in Hampshire and needed to do another site in Lancing. It was that superb day in June just after lockdown was eased with temperatures over 30 degrees so I carried on to Brighton, did a 10k run on the seafront, grabbed some food and stopped off back in Hampshire around midnight.

It's always a joy on that first day of the year where you step out of the office at the end of the day and still have full daylight though.
  • pblakeney
    orraloon said:

Can't wait to see the Mail headlines.
    EU steals our GMT! 🤣🤣🤣
    Veronese68 wrote: