How old would you die?

2»

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,687
    Pross said:

morstar said:

Funny how we’re not extinct.

Wouldn't it just be like living in medieval times so high infant mortality and much shorter overall life expectancy?

We might have evolved a bit faster/further, with greater turnover of generations.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551

Not spent a night in hospital (yet), and no idea if I'd have deaded without the minor medical interventions such as antibiotics and inoculations.

On another tack, I suspect I'll win the prize for missing out on grandfathers: one died (heart attack) when I was six weeks old, and the other died in 1929, from TB.

Both my grandfathers were long dead before I was born. One was killed by a drunk driver in 1947, the other died of heart failure at age 52, before my parents had even met. One grandmother was also long gone. Only ever knew one grandparent.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,236
    Not sure if it’s true or not but I read somewhere there are more humans alive today than have ever died.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

morstar said:

Funny how we’re not extinct.

Its not, really. Only have to live long enough to reproduce, and ensure offspring survive to the point they can look after themselves. Humans can do the reproduction thing from mid teens, so living to 25 or 30 would be enough to achieve that. Best if they have multiple children to improve the odds, so perhaps 30 is the minimum age to ensure species survival?
    I was highlighting the logical fallacy of the prior post.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited March 2021

Not sure if it’s true or not but I read somewhere there are more humans alive today than have ever died.

Have also heard this. Just googled and turns out it's utter nonsense. c.100bn people died.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593

Not spent a night in hospital (yet), and no idea if I'd have deaded without the minor medical interventions such as antibiotics and inoculations.

On another tack, I suspect I'll win the prize for missing out on grandfathers: one died (heart attack) when I was six weeks old, and the other died in 1929, from TB.

Both my grandfathers were long dead before I was born. One was killed by a drunk driver in 1947, the other died of heart failure at age 52, before my parents had even met. One grandmother was also long gone. Only ever knew one grandparent.

Same here. Different circumstances but I only knew one grandmother.
    Only one uncle too. When I was 20 my entire extended family consisted of 8 people.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    pblakeney said:

Same here. Different circumstances but I only knew one grandmother.
    Only one uncle too. When I was 20 my entire extended family consisted of 8 people.
    Similar to me, only ever knew one grandma. Lost an uncle before I was born too (who I was named after).

Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,876
    Only one grandmother was alive when I was born, and I only 'met' her when I was a baby. Paternals side not surprising as my dad was an older father.
    Mum's side were Irish Catholics, she had 2 sisters and a brother, none of whom had kids! Her dad died when she was very young.

As we all have had vaccinations pretty much since we were born, the question is totally impossible to answer.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,158
    I see the constructive criticism about Cake Stop being a bit too serious has been taken on board and is being addressed :p

I'd probably still be alive.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    Stevo_666 said:

I see the constructive criticism about Cake Stop being a bit too serious has been taken on board and is being addressed :p

I for one am forever grateful for all the light-hearted threads you start :wink:
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,158
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

I for one am forever grateful for all the light-hearted threads you start :wink:
    Aw, do posts in other peoples threads not count? :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Thinking about it I've been rather lucky really, Broken wrist when 6 or 7 which would've sucked but I don't actually think much got displaced. Recent ACL would have cut short Medieval Me's skiing career down in its prime ( 🤔 ). The most advanced Dental work I've had was encouraging a stubborn baby tooth out.

Don't think I've ever had antibiotics for anything serious. I'm sure I can remember a course but...not for what it was. Topical antibiotics for a horrible ear ache and a cream for a minor infection when I performed surgery on myself with the edge of a ski once (other time from above).

I'd still be Live & Kickin'...but I had grommets when I was young...So I might be deaf!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    Probably blood poisoning late 30s.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme