How old would you die?

Say you lived in a world with absolutely no medicine or medical care.

Say you got your illnesses etc at exactly the same time in your life as you have had.

How old would you have died / would you still be alive?

I’ll go: dead at 31. Appendicitis

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    What a cheery thread Rickchard...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited March 2021
    Still alive. I asked my wife and she sadly said in childbirth.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,623
    Immortal
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    If this is another phishing question?

If so, I’m not sure it’s the sort of question that typically gets asked.

Two incidents that I may well have survived without medical intervention but far from guaranteed.

Bad gastric bug as a teenager and 1 really bad asthma attack in late 20’s.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Tbh this thread is missing a poll
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    Most serious treatment I've ever had was for two broken wrists so I'd presumably be fine. That said, I may have caught something fatal from someone else who hadn't been treated assuming this is a world where no-one has medical treatment rather than just me.
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    PE at 55 which if not diagnosed / treated would most likely have seen me off.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Think I'd still be alive at 52. Wife and 2 youngest might have died in childbirth though.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,400

Immortal

We’ll see about that.

There can be only one
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I think I'd still be here.

Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    edited March 2021
    Chances are I'd have died at 27 of pneumonia.

Cheery thread. Looking for the positives, it means everything else is a bonus.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • emanresu
    emanresu Posts: 320
    I'm in my early 40's and I've never been treated in hospital. The worst injury I've sustained is a sprain and the worst disease I've had is chicken pox so I'd still be alive.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,312
    Think I'd be alright. Tooth infection could have got me I suppose, depends whether someone would have just ripped it out before it got bad.

Not sure wife (or daughter) would have survived her first labour, which is a weird thought.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,931
    edited March 2021
    Early childhood. Scarlet fever.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,931

Say you lived in a world with absolutely no medicine or medical care.

Say you got your illnesses etc at exactly the same time in your life as you have had.

How old would you have died / would you still be alive?

I’ll go: dead at 31. Appendicitis

Died with or died of?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    ?
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    Isn't it difficult to say if you've had any treatment with antibiotics at some point? Any one of those occasions for me could've gone south for all I know.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,944

Tbh this thread is missing a poll

Have you thought of asking people if they want one?

It's hard to say whether or not I'd have died without intervention, but I had my appendix out at around age 56. I suppose they wouldn't have taken it out if it wasn't necessary.

Other than that, I was diagnosed with high blood pressure at late 40's (fortunately I can't die of bad memory, unless I forget to take the BP medication, or I'd have gone ages ago). Again, i don't if that would have killed me yet if it hadn't been noticed.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,560
    Hmmm. Tonsil and adenoids both gone when I was about 6 I think. Appendix at 12. Pneumonia at 13.

Pick one.

Since then, fairly indestructible.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,623
    By now I may have some form of impairment from mumps, but this is unlikely, and as you can see from my Avatar, I'd likely have severe mobility issues now. In truth, I'd not have made it that far because I would have died from gangrene or a tropical disease of some sort from a minor cut (there was shiny white stuff visible) suffered when travelling age 30.

Anyone who was born via unexpected C-section may have died in childbirth, incidentally.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    Cancer 15 years ago, major bleed on the lungs 8 years ago are the obvious ones. Might have survived appendicitis in my 20s as it went down and was removed as a non emergency.
    But on the bright side presumably we wouldn't have all the deaths caused by road accidents either.
  • morstar

Isn't it difficult to say if you've had any treatment with antibiotics at some point? Any one of those occasions for me could've gone south for all I know.

This. After my post I was thinking we’re only considering the things where we experienced a severe impact and modern intervention was obvious.
    The reality is probably more the mundane stuff that is so inconsequential these days wouldn’t have been inconsequential without medicine.
    A simple infection would probably have killed loads of us from an event we don’t even recall.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,312
    I did my grandad's family tree a few years ago for his birthday. Going through old censuses it was only a couple of generations back from him where you'd see half the kids there one year and gone a few years later. Sobering.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • morstar
    And flu in 2010. Without mainlining asthma inhalers, that may well have finished me off so that’s 3 possible for me that I know of.
    Had stitches once so that’s a wound that might have been problematic for infection without.

Tetanus? Other vaccinations...

It’s a wonder people in olden days didn’t live much shorter lives.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    probably several times in my twenties from yellow fever or malaria or similar. A particularly nasty parasite picked up probably from contaminated water led to world class rapid weight loss and a spell in isolation turning myself inside out. still, 2 weeks off is 2 weeks off.

broken bones a plenty, some of which might have led to disability if not death and plenty of cuts and scrapes all of which could easily have led to gangrene or similar without good stitching.

I suspect very few people living full lives would get beyond 50 without medical support.

but what is no medical support? the evidence is Humans have treated themselves from the dawn of time. from at least 4000 years BC. albeit sometimes ineffectually.

Imhotep c2600BC became known for his powers of healing and his writing on the subject. interesting fact, it was about 2000 years after his death that he began to be acknowledged for his medical knowledge and there is no evidence he had any skills during his lifetime.

the reality is that without modern medicine most of us would have died in childhood.

• morstar
    Funny how we’re not extinct.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,560
    morstar said:

Its not, really. Only have to live long enough to reproduce, and ensure offspring survive to the point they can look after themselves. Humans can do the reproduction thing from mid teens, so living to 25 or 30 would be enough to achieve that. Best if they have multiple children to improve the odds, so perhaps 30 is the minimum age to ensure species survival?
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,628
    edited March 2021
    Almost certainly would have been stillborn, as First.Aspect mentioned.

Coincidentally, I saw this the other day, which is quite something.

More info here.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,861
    Not spent a night in hospital (yet), and no idea if I'd have deaded without the minor medical interventions such as antibiotics and inoculations.

On another tack, I suspect I'll win the prize for missing out on grandfathers: one died (heart attack) when I was six weeks old, and the other died in 1929, from TB.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    morstar said:

Wouldn't it just be like living in medieval times so high infant mortality and much shorter overall life expectancy?