The Cake Stop

12346»

Comments

• secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Pross said:

secretsam said:

Well this went as expected.

Is there no "mute" option? Another forum that I use, there is an option for you to effectively ignore anything posted by certain users - you simply don't see them, but can still see the other discussion. Handy for those few who seem intent on causing offence.
    There used to be, it disappeared when the forum was "upgraded" more's the pity.
    Shame. Ah well, patience is a virtue.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,130
    Mute would be useful, but I imagine it just means the forum looks (to anyone new) like a place where nobody objects to unpleasantness.

I only ever muted two people, I think.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,687

Mute would be useful, but I imagine it just means the forum looks (to anyone new) like a place where nobody objects to unpleasantness.

I only ever muted two people, I think.

I might have done three. Coopster was one of them, I think, when we could.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    secretsam said:

Pross said:

secretsam said:

Is there no "mute" option? Another forum that I use, there is an option for you to effectively ignore anything posted by certain users - you simply don't see them, but can still see the other discussion. Handy for those few who seem intent on causing offence.
    it certainly is with your purile sniping
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    david37 said:

secretsam said:

Pross said:

secretsam said:

So you do understand that the thread was created to complain about trolling, right?
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    So what is the actual point of trolling?

I assume its not to actually "win" a debate because there is often not a decent point, but rather a descent into name calling and abuse. Is the point purely to get a rise?

If so, how does the troll derive pleasure from this? Is it gaining pleasure from making someone else angry or upset? Is that the win? Is there some sort of joy in being able to act like a bit of a cnut and the anonymity means they can get away with it in a way they couldn't in real life?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • First.Aspect
    elbowloh said:

I assume its not to actually "win" a debate because there is often not a decent point, but rather a descent into name calling and abuse. Is the point purely to get a rise?

If so, how does the troll derive pleasure from this? Is it gaining pleasure from making someone else angry or upset? Is that the win? Is there some sort of joy in being able to act like a bit of a cnut and the anonymity means they can get away with it in a way they couldn't in real life?

Yes
  • david37

david37 said:

secretsam said:

Pross said:

secretsam said:

So you do understand that the thread was created to complain about trolling, right?
    and yet, the op travels the forum suggesting the cancelation of the people he deems to be unworthy. he does it quite well but he's practicing the worst kind manipulation. just not very well.

hence his simultaneous posts about religion and the lamentable standards of debate.

id say he is a master debater.

• First.Aspect
    david37 said:

david37 said:

secretsam said:

Pross said:

secretsam said:

and yet, the op travels the forum suggesting the cancelation of the people he deems to be unworthy. he does it quite well but he's practicing the worst kind manipulation. just not very well.

hence his simultaneous posts about religion and the lamentable standards of debate.

id say he is a master debater.

Are you capable.of introspection?
  • david37
    elbowloh said:

im happy to call a Cnut a Cnut in real life.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    It's like when you wind someone up and take joy in their squirming - but rather than laughing it off like a mate you continue to act like a nob
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,687
    elbowloh said:

It's just to get a response. That's it. Various techniques, including insults, persistent contrariness, etc. I can only guess it gives them some sort of weird gratification from the fact that they get noticed, even if everyone thinks the troll is a complete jerk.

It's really easy once you realise that the only thing that trolls need to keep going is for people to respond.

Don't respond. And never quote.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    Trolls jerk off every time they get a response. Fact.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    edited March 2021
    secretsam said:

david37 said:

elbowloh said:

david37 said:

ddraver said:

It doesn't skew right, but equally, I suspect a majority of us have voted Tory at some point, and this isn't the leftie stronghold it's sometimes made out to be.

We don't have a single open Labour voter. Not a one! Not even a reluctant Keir Starmer voter...

Not to mention that the very youngest of us are mid-thirties, (?)married, (?)home owners with kids.

Of course it's skewed right!
    we've got full spectrum lefties, anti royalist, redistribution of wealth twunts. its just that most of the lefty contributors are also ultra privileged and live in the Home Counties, have never worked for much in their lives and feel their mental health is something others should care about but at the same time go on crusades for those who they and the popular self-indulgent people like them feel are downtrodden and can't look after themselves; this group appears to include women, black people, gay people, muslims and terrorists.

In fact everyone but them. which raises interesting questions about their own delusional egos.

Its a great place :)

You do know that the majority of people in the Home Counties, like everywhere else, are working class, low to middle wage workers right?
    I think the definition of working class may have drifted then.
    Or, given that I live in the Home Counties, perhaps you're actually wrong?
    secretsam said:

david37 said:

is that your salt of the earth working class understanding of economics

No, it's my "Degree in Economics, Accountancy qualification and 30 years' public and private sector experience" understanding of Economics.

If you earn a living using those qualifications, you’re probably not working class. Your parents might have been and you brought up as such.

I agree with you on everything else.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/