The Cake Stop

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    I've usually voted Labour, sometimes reluctantly as I've felt they've lost the plot somewhat and a couple of times I couldn't bring myself to vote for anyone. I have voted for other minor parties a couple of times.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628

So who is properly labour left wing here?

The centre of this place is skewed right as the one of the most left wing people you have on here on the right of the Lib Dem’s and has never voted labour in his life.

The issue is it's very unlikely anyone ever agrees with every policy of the party they vote for.

I doubt most Tory voters support the reduction of 20,000 Police officers that occurred from 2010-2019.

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    edited March 2021
    I'm a Labour voter. Glad that Starmer is leading and that Corbyn is gone.

Seeing as we're asking.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    Since asked, I'm socially left and economically right. I acknowledge they are incompatible so seek a central compromise. No party allegiance.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • yorkshireraw
    ddraver said:

It doesn't skew right, but equally, I suspect a majority of us have voted Tory at some point, and this isn't the leftie stronghold it's sometimes made out to be.

We don't have a single open Labour voter. Not a one! Not even a reluctant Keir Starmer voter...

Not to mention that the very youngest of us are mid-thirties, (?)married, (?)home owners with kids.

Of course it's skewed right!
    97 / 01 - Labour
    05 / 10 / 15 - Tory
    17 / 19 - Labour (would have been LD due to Brexit but they don't have a hope here in GEs even though the Mayor is LD - go figure)
    Our local Labour MP is from the town and seems to do a decent job on local issues, and doesn't appear to be in to climb the ladder.

My views have changed a lot as I've got older and met more people from different backgrounds.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164

Stevo_666 said:

I think the main problem with Cake Stop is that it's a bit too serious for its own good. Not enough banter, too much politics and too many threads disappearing up their own backsides with philosophical discussions.

I do actually appreciate the fact that there are lots of honest discussions about a wide range of topics, nearly all respectful, and, on the whole, less compartmentalised than you get in the press. The fact that not everyone adorns their comments with emoticons doesn't mean that there's not a good dose of humour lurking and ready to pounce.

I do appreciate too that a lot of you obviously have really proper jobs and families, and yet still take the time to write (sometimes lengthy) properly considered replies.
    Fair enough, but my points above still stand. The left/right thing is one factor but that's not the whole story.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • yorkshireraw
    pblakeney said:

Since asked, I'm socially left and economically right. I acknowledge they are incompatible so seek a central compromise. No party allegiance.

You are Sweden.
  • yorkshireraw
    Ben6899 said:

I'm a Labour voter. Glad that Starmer is leading and that Corbyn is gone.

Seeing as we're asking.

Agree - think Starmer is a serious, decent bloke who's in it for the right reasons.

Just wish he'd let rip a bit more at times. He's playing by the rules and BoJo et al have set fire to the rule book then p155ed all over it.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Pross said:

rjsterry said:

shortfall said:

ddraver said:

It could be worse....

That our local lib dem member is painted as the living embodiment of the marxist red scare suggests that the forum skews rather right, but I occasionally dip into a US based ski forum and that is a whole box of....

Cakestop skews right? Really? I think there's only Stevo who admits to voting Tory and have you seen the hate the Conservatives get across a number of threads? Not to mention the bile aimed at GB News before it's even launched. Where are all the right wing posters? There's me I suppose, but I'm one of the few to be concerned with liberty and the increasing authoritarian actions of the government, and I also support nationalised railways, I'm not a free markets hawk and I've been against most of the foreign wars and interventions in recent memory from Iraq, to Afghanistan, to Lybia.
    There are quite a few who at least used to vote Tory before the party lost its mind.
    This. I voted Tory in every GE from 1992 to 2015 but it then became apparent that they were becoming controlled from the fringes.

More odd is someone who is concerned about authoritarianism and civil liberties voting for a right of centre party and the very party introducing the laws they are so opposed to then complaining about liberals.
    If you were worried about control from the fringes please tell me you didn't vote labour?
  • Ben6899

Agree - think Starmer is a serious, decent bloke who's in it for the right reasons.

Just wish he'd let rip a bit more at times. He's playing by the rules and BoJo et al have set fire to the rule book then p155ed all over it.

I hope I'm right in thinking he's just biding his time. He is serious and in it for the right reasons... also doesn't have his head in the far left clouds (despite his name!).

Decent bloke as well - drinks in my local. :smile:
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596

pblakeney said:

You are Sweden.
    Covid aside. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    It's funny isn't it? I can think of one prolific poster who would be to the left of Millie Tant of Viz fame and many is the time I come away from debates in here feeling like I've listened to a 3 hour monologue by James O'Brien. I would say Blairite is a reasonable description of the prevailing standpoint of your average cakestopper though.
  • yorkshireraw
    Ben6899 said:

I hope I'm right in thinking he's just biding his time. He is serious and in it for the right reasons... also doesn't have his head in the far left clouds (despite his name!).

Decent bloke as well - drinks in my local. :smile:
    Ah, Islington resident then... ;-)

I think the problem with him biding his time is he's being rational about it, and thinks the more the Govt mess up, the less support they will have.
    The issue is voters seem to like hearing things that may not be true, but suit their thinking, and ignore or dismiss things they shouldn't like.
  • Stevo_666
    shortfall said:

It's funny isn't it? I can think of one prolific poster who would be to the left of Millie Tant of Viz fame and many is the time I come away from debates in here feeling like I've listened to a 3 hour monologue by James O'Brien. I would say Blairite is a reasonable description of the prevailing standpoint of your average cakestopper though.

:D
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    shortfall said:

And there's one who likes to position himself to the right of Genghis Khan (but probably wouldn't like the comparison).

James O'Brien isn't far left is he? Left of centre, sure. Far to the left of some others on the same station, sure.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    ddraver said:

Neither Brown nor Miliband were tories...

and yet Boris has borrowed huge chunks of their manifestos. JC wanted to raise corporation tax to an eye bleedingly high 26% and was denounced as a deranged trot trying to destroy the UK economy. Why do the same denouncers not denounce Boris/Rishi as deranged trots trying to destroy the UK economy?

Blair was not a Tory yet his economic policies were way to the right of the current Govt.

Imagine if Starmer introduced a manifesto promising fiscal prudence and a rolling back of the State to leave individuals with more freedom to make their own decisions?

Insanely millions would vote for the blue rosette because that is what they always do even though that rosette now stands for all of the things they pasionately argued against ten years ago
  • Ben6899

Ah, Islington resident then... ;-)

I think the problem with him biding his time is he's being rational about it, and thinks the more the Govt mess up, the less support they will have.
    The issue is voters seem to like hearing things that may not be true, but suit their thinking, and ignore or dismiss things they shouldn't like.

Camden, but actually will be Islington soon!

Yeh that's the danger with his tactic and we've actually seen that confidence in the current government is high. Incredibly.
    Ben

• surrey_commuter
    shortfall said:

I can not think of anybody further left than Ric

I broadly agree with your Blairite description but would call it Blair/Cameron because compared tothe fringes of their parties their is very little between them.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

If you're far enough to the left, everything looks right wing :smile:

Whilst being true, the converse is also true.
    True.

I think the main problem with Cake Stop is that it's a bit too serious for its own good. Not enough banter, too much politics and too many threads disappearing up their own backsides with philosophical discussions.
    It used to be fun, it's rarely that these days.

The older I get, the better I was.

• yorkshireraw

shortfall said:

I broadly agree with your Blairite description but would call it Blair/Cameron because compared tothe fringes of their parties their is very little between them.
    Think you're probably right on that.

Was just thinking about how in 97 Blair and Major probably weren't that far apart in a lot of policies (although that could be the mists of time) - when compared to Johnson vs. Corbyn in '19. Hence why the Tories swung right under Hague - Blair had taken the centre (even centre-right) ground from them.

Someone like Major would appear very unlikely to become Tory leader these days. We now have a Conservative party that isn't conservative and a Labour party that struggles to align with a lot of those who do 'labour'.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348

which...as said...is the problem.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288

shortfall said:

And there's one who likes to position himself to the right of Genghis Khan (but probably wouldn't like the comparison).

James O'Brien isn't far left is he? Left of centre, sure. Far to the left of some others on the same station, sure.
    Who could you possibly mean? 😊
  • surrey_commuter
    ddraver said:

which...as said...is the problem.
    But who does Shortfall consider to be hard left??
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Are you asking me..?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • surrey_commuter

shortfall said:

Was just thinking about how in 97 Blair and Major probably weren't that far apart in a lot of policies (although that could be the mists of time) - when compared to Johnson vs. Corbyn in '19. Hence why the Tories swung right under Hague - Blair had taken the centre (even centre-right) ground from them.

Someone like Major would appear very unlikely to become Tory leader these days. We now have a Conservative party that isn't conservative and a Labour party that struggles to align with a lot of those who do 'labour'.
    Not really sure what Major stood for but Blair was close to what Thatcher called a “Tory wet” Brown was certainly a lurch left and then Cameron lurched back right to where Blair was. May probably to the right of Cameron. On that scale I would put Boris closer to Brown than Blair
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,485

shortfall said:

Not the actual Labour voters?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • yorkshireraw

shortfall said:

Not really sure what Major stood for but Blair was close to what Thatcher called a “Tory wet” Brown was certainly a lurch left and then Cameron lurched back right to where Blair was. May probably to the right of Cameron. On that scale I would put Boris closer to Brown than Blair
    Not sure Boris has any beliefs or convictions that aren't purely around his own self interest, and supporting those who got him into No10, or who know what other skeletons / kids etc he has in his closet. His entire life experience is so far removed from the majority of low / middle earners in the UK. I don't think he's ever really come into contact with 'normal' people outside of political photo ops.

Yes I couldn't really think of much that stands out about Major's policies, so it's mainly based on him now seeming to be a sensible and considered voice, and a huge contrast to the current Govt - look at the likes of Ken Clarke, Heseltine etc vs Raab, Patel and Truss. Portillo was viewed as some sort of uber- right winger back then.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    Up to recently, you could be a Conservative mp and think the current regime is a Brexit induced kakistocracy led by an inveterate liar.
  • Stevo_666
    edited March 2021
    shortfall said:

shortfall said:

Who could you possibly mean? 😊
    I think I know who he means.

But its more than left/right etc. There is also the PC/wokey dokey wars. Aside fom the general lack of humour in here.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193
    edited March 2021
    I just asked Alexa for a joke:

How do trees feel in the spring?

Re-leaved.