Cervelo S3 - Thru Axle - Sheared off

rjl27
rjl27 Posts: 3
Hello!

In trying to remove a tight thru axle after a puncture today, I have managed to shear off the thru axel on the rear wheel. The photos show you how both sides of this look now. Would be grateful to know if anyone has managed to repair something similar?

Rich

Comments

• rjl27
    Cervelo - Sheared Thru Axle
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    I think a trip to the bike shop and a new thru axle are in order. It'll need to be drilled out.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    You could get a large, flat-headed screw driver blade into that DS slot, I reckon.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Is it the through axle or is it the rear derailleur hanger nut system. Can you still unscrew the through axle?

The reason I ask is a mate of mine had the nut fall off a new cervelo as it hadn't been torqued as per the tech manual requirements. Could it be that you've had a similar issue here which has caused this?
  • i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    A quick google of Cervelo manuals suggests this is not a threaded thru axle and there is a pin on the drive-side end that locates into a recess on the derailleur hanger nut (this has spanner flats on it looking at your picture), have you tried undoing this (not necessarily all the way, maybe just a quarter turn or something) to see if it lets you push the axle back out?

This may be total nonsense by the way, but worth a quick look.
  • You could be right - I was looking at the wrong side. The spanner flat nut is what I mean by the hanger nut - if that is undone like you suggest then the axle should pull out as well.
  • rjl27
    Thank you for all of the tips everyone.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Did you manage to sort it?