• shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    edited March 2021

Whoa there Shortfall, you cheeky censored . I'm a Tory :D

Shush 😄
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    You say 'admits' as if it's a crime. :)
    But seriously, you are 'right', it is preposterous to say CS skews right.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,400

Whoa there Shortfall, you cheeky censored . I'm a Tory :D

About time you came off the fence.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,861
    It doesn't skew right, but equally, I suspect a majority of us have voted Tory at some point, and this isn't the leftie stronghold it's sometimes made out to be.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    More people have professed to vote Tory on here than any other party.
    The only other clear vote intention shared regularly has been Rick and Lib Dem’s.
    Personally I am very centrist.
    I agree in both free markets and an active state and am probably one of the more left posters on here. I work in free markets driving efficiency and believe passionately in competition where it is appropriate.

I actually align to many Tory economic policies but having the ability to separate self interest from national needs, I can never bring myself to vote for them.
    I have to hold my nose come elections but am thankful that at least our constituency MP is a very proactive local champion and not at an extreme end of any bodies policies.

FPTP enforced a two party dominance which brings safe seats. Safe seats rewards incompetence. I couldn’t imagine being represented by someone like JRM.
    If I’m a wokey dokey lefty, some of you lot need to get out a bit more.
  • briantrumpet
    morstar said:

More people have professed to vote Tory on here than any other party.
    The only other clear vote intention shared regularly has been Rick and Lib Dem’s.
    Personally I am very centrist.
    I agree in both free markets and an active state and am probably one of the more left posters on here. I work in free markets driving efficiency and believe passionately in competition where it is appropriate.

I actually align to many Tory economic policies but having the ability to separate self interest from national needs, I can never bring myself to vote for them.
    I have to hold my nose come elections but am thankful that at least our constituency MP is a very proactive local champion and not at an extreme end of any bodies policies.

FPTP enforced a two party dominance which brings safe seats. Safe seats rewards incompetence. I couldn’t imagine being represented by someone like JRM.
    If I’m a wokey dokey lefty, some of you lot need to get out a bit more.

I feel a poll coming on...
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,628
    shortfall said:

ddraver said:

It could be worse....

That our local lib dem member is painted as the living embodiment of the marxist red scare suggests that the forum skews rather right, but I occasionally dip into a US based ski forum and that is a whole box of....

Cakestop skews right? Really? I think there's only Stevo who admits to voting Tory and have you seen the hate the Conservatives get across a number of threads? Not to mention the bile aimed at GB News before it's even launched. Where are all the right wing posters? There's me I suppose, but I'm one of the few to be concerned with liberty and the increasing authoritarian actions of the government, and I also support nationalised railways, I'm not a free markets hawk and I've been against most of the foreign wars and interventions in recent memory from Iraq, to Afghanistan, to Lybia.
    There are quite a few who at least used to vote Tory before the party lost its mind.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,459
    shortfall said:

ddraver said:

It could be worse....

That our local lib dem member is painted as the living embodiment of the marxist red scare suggests that the forum skews rather right, but I occasionally dip into a US based ski forum and that is a whole box of....

Cakestop skews right? Really? I think there's only Stevo who admits to voting Tory and have you seen the hate the Conservatives get across a number of threads? Not to mention the bile aimed at GB News before it's even launched. Where are all the right wing posters? There's me I suppose, but I'm one of the few to be concerned with liberty and the increasing authoritarian actions of the government, and I also support nationalised railways, I'm not a free markets hawk and I've been against most of the foreign wars and interventions in recent memory from Iraq, to Afghanistan, to Lybia.
    If you're far enough to the left, everything looks right wing :smile:

And I think he's confusing Marxist with irritating ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    rjsterry said:

shortfall said:

ddraver said:

It could be worse....

There are quite a few who at least used to vote Tory before the party lost its mind.
    This. I voted Tory in every GE from 1992 to 2015 but it then became apparent that they were becoming controlled from the fringes.

More odd is someone who is concerned about authoritarianism and civil liberties voting for a right of centre party and the very party introducing the laws they are so opposed to then complaining about liberals.
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Whilst being true, the converse is also true.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Whilst being true, the converse is also true.
    True.

I think the main problem with Cake Stop is that it's a bit too serious for its own good. Not enough banter, too much politics and too many threads disappearing up their own backsides with philosophical discussions.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    So who is properly labour left wing here?

The centre of this place is skewed right as the one of the most left wing people you have on here on the right of the Lib Dem’s and has never voted labour in his life.

• briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

I think the main problem with Cake Stop is that it's a bit too serious for its own good. Not enough banter, too much politics and too many threads disappearing up their own backsides with philosophical discussions.

I do actually appreciate the fact that there are lots of honest discussions about a wide range of topics, nearly all respectful, and, on the whole, less compartmentalised than you get in the press. The fact that not everyone adorns their comments with emoticons doesn't mean that there's not a good dose of humour lurking and ready to pounce.

I do appreciate too that a lot of you obviously have really proper jobs and families, and yet still take the time to write (sometimes lengthy) properly considered replies.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    The universal condemnation of Corbyn here is definitely a sign it’s very left wing.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I'd say i'm pretty centrist.

I am not tied to any particular party, in GE's i have voted for candidates from 3 different parties over the years, depending on a) the current polices of each party at the time of the election, b) who the candidate was and whether i liked them or not
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,623

The universal condemnation of Corbyn here is definitely a sign it’s very left wing.

People in the UK have always been a bit ashamed to admit they vote Tory. The forum is more.right wing than you think.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    edited March 2021

It doesn't skew right, but equally, I suspect a majority of us have voted Tory at some point, and this isn't the leftie stronghold it's sometimes made out to be.

We don't have a single open Labour voter. Not a one! Not even a reluctant Keir Starmer voter...

Not to mention that the very youngest of us are mid-thirties, (?)married, (?)home owners with kids.

Of course it's skewed right!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • elbowloh

People in the UK have always been a bit ashamed to admit they vote Tory. The forum is more.right wing than you think.
    Not so sure.

Looking at my FB, i'd say there are a lot of people who express some lefty views, but don't often (if ever) mention who their vote for.

On the otherside, i have a lot of people who are very forthright in their support of to Tory Party and very vocal about supporting Bojo.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I have never voted Tory in my life however I have spent the last 35 years always living in Conservative strong holds. It’s similar to reading Cake stop ;)
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,224
    ddraver said:

We don't have a single open Labour voter. Not a one! Not even a reluctant Keir Starmer voter...

There's one registered Labour supporter though.

• Stevo_666

ddraver said:

There's one registered Labour supporter though.

You sure about that? ;)
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,612
    I also frequent the Singletrack forum from time to time.

The overt hatred and venom towards anything Tory over there is quite shocking at times. I would say the debate here is far more balanced as a rule.
  • kingstongraham
    I think most people on here would vote for almost anything to keep a proper leftist party out. Too much to lose.

Doesn't mean it skews right though. Definitely left of centre, but quite central because there are views from left and right of centre (plus agreeing with whatever the Tories are doing at any time which can be left or right).

But then very few people think of themselves as anything other than reasonable. and centrist, regardless of where others see them.
  • elbowloh
    webboo said:

I have never voted Tory in my life however I have spent the last 35 years always living in Conservative strong holds. It’s similar to reading Cake stop ;)

Same. Only time i didn't live in a Tory stronghold was for 4 years at Uni and a couple of years in Swindon.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ddraver

l because there are views from left and right of centre

No...there aren't...

That's the point
    - @ddraver
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Surprised that Rick is going along with this left/right Tory/Labour labelling.

If we had a multi party system then you would have the right wing loons (JRM, Farage) in one party the middle middle right (May, Hammond) centre right (Cameron), centre left (Blair) left of centre (Brown, Miliband) and so on until you reach Corbyn.

I would argue that most on here are in the centre hovering between Cameron and Blair.

Why I think the rosette is irrelevant is that Tory could mean anything between hard right and the big statism of Brown/Miliband.
  • ddraver
    Neither Brown nor Miliband were tories...
    - @ddraver
  • kingstongraham
    ddraver said:

l because there are views from left and right of centre

No...there aren't...

That's the point
    There are - only speaking for myself, on some issues, I would definitely be left of centre. Others, I go with the flow because I don't care too much. Can't think of many I'd say I was right of centre.

There's nobody who is paricularly far left, or vaguely in the bounds of what fleet street would call "out and out wokeism".
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,144

the middle middle right (May, Hammond)

Are you talking Teresa and Phil or James and Richard?