The Cake Stop

The cake stop:
The place for more serious off-topic questions, light-hearted banter and friendly chat

Or is it? Some of the debate on here is toxic. On all sides.

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,908
    IIRC the distinction between cake stop and bottom bracket is that bottom bracket was solely created so that the women in lycra thread could be kept.

Sometimes there are some light hearted moments here!
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,400
    secretsam said:

The cake stop:
    The place for more serious off-topic questions, light-hearted banter and friendly chat

But this is what cake stoppers enjoy about cake stop. It takes balls and persistence to win the internet, some have the right stuff, some don’t. So stop being a pansy* and man up. Or get out of the kitchen.

*context applicable
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    seanoconn said:

So stop being a pansy* and man up. Or get out of the kitchen.

*context applicable

Wow, so it's really not about light-hearted debate, rather all out war? For "men" only?

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,400
    secretsam said:

seanoconn said:

So stop being a pansy* and man up. Or get out of the kitchen.

*context applicable

Wow, so it's really not about light-hearted debate, rather all out war? For "men" only?

Exactly, but the all out war is on behalf of the ladies.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    secretsam said:

The cake stop:

Did you miss the "more serious off-topic questions" part? Other than one or two exceptions I would say people debate some serious questions in a grown up manner most of the time. I learn a lot on here and have even been known to change my opinion based on some well-reasoned debates. I'd actually only ever voted Tory before I started using this site!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    secretsam said:

The cake stop:
    The place for more serious off-topic questions, light-hearted banter and friendly chat.

Pertinent part now in bold.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,459
    Pross said:

I'd actually only ever voted Tory before I started using this site!

Now we see the real damage that Cake Stop inflicts on people.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    I wouldn't say it's toxic. I'm not sure what toxic means in this context though.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,224
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

You worried you might see the light?
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

But think of the boost it gives the sandal making industry.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

But think of the boost it gives the sandal making industry.
    Is that more serious or light hearted?

Maybe all comments need flagging with a context letter.
    L for Levity
    S for silly.

A bit like the toilets in an Irish Bar.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,224
    Bring on ai and we can just have take bots trotting out predictable positions for each of us.
  • Stevo_666
    I think Sams point is that there too much of the serious stuff and not enough of the light hearted banter etc. Seem to remember Commuting Chat had more than its fair share of serious types and ended up dying off.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    Stevo_666 said:

I think Sams point is that there too much of the serious stuff and not enough of the light hearted banter etc. Seem to remember Commuting Chat had more than its fair share of serious types and ended up dying off.

Hardly surprising when the hottest debates were about bananas or wearing underwear.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • secretsam
    Stevo_666 said:

Nope, not really. My point is that the debate of the serious stuff is quite often polarised and unpleasant - the thread on "Women's Safety", for example. On the other hand, the thread about the Census and Religion is quite reasoned and intelligent.

• Stevo_666
    secretsam said:

Stevo_666 said:

Nope, not really. My point is that the debate of the serious stuff is quite often polarised and unpleasant - the thread on "Women's Safety", for example. On the other hand, the thread about the Census and Religion is quite reasoned and intelligent.
    OK, it's my point then :)
  • secretsam
    Stevo_666 said:

secretsam said:

Stevo_666 said:

OK, it's my point then :)
    Yeah, own it... :D

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    secretsam said:

Stevo_666 said:

Identity politics innit.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

Commuting is so 2019

I did wonder if he had missed another reason why the thread had died a death
  • Stevo_666

Commuting is so 2019

I did wonder if he had missed another reason why the thread had died a death
    It was dead before Covid came along. Pretty much.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    edited March 2021

Commuting is so 2019

I swear the noises of Microsoft Teams notifications is going to trigger some PTSD in the future.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,623
    edited March 2021

secretsam said:

Stevo_666 said:

Identity politics innit.
    Many of the threads are enlightening and fairly polite. There really are quite a lot of smart people on here who aren't afraid to disagree and so we get a range of well articulated views.

Once in a while though, a topic comes up that a bunch of largely white middle class men shouldn't really have too many strong opinions about. Such as, how it feels to be female or how it feels to be black.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,626
    edited March 2021
    Stevo_666 said:

Nah, that was just because DDD got married and settled down.

That's what this place is missing: gratuitously detailed posts about hair removal.

Also we all got 10 years older.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DeVlaeminck

secretsam said:

Stevo_666 said:

Identity politics innit.
    Many of the threads are enlightening and fairly polite. There really are quite a lot of smart people on here who aren't afraid to disagree and so we get a range of well articulated views.

Once in a while though, a topic comes up that a bunch of largely white middle class men shouldn't really have too many strong opinions about. Such as, how it feels to be female or how it feels to be black.
    Can't remember either being discussed tbh.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,623
    edited March 2021

secretsam said:

Stevo_666 said:

Identity politics innit.

Referring to a BLM thread a while ago, and the thread about women's safety on p1 at the moment.

Reminds me of a conversation at work recently. Looking for something to get involved with to help the firm, and someone mentioned the inclusivity and diversity committee. I replied that I wasn't really what they needed.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,860
    The only bit I don't get about Cake Stop is people thinking they can engage the occasional troll without it dragging threads down. Other than that, it's remarkably civilised, given the range of topics covered and the intelligence and width of experiences of (most) contributors.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    It could be worse....

That our local lib dem member is painted as the living embodiment of the marxist red scare suggests that the forum skews rather right, but I occasionally dip into a US based ski forum and that is a whole box of....

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • DeVlaeminck

secretsam said:

Stevo_666 said:

Identity politics innit.

Referring to a BLM thread a while ago, and the thread about women's safety on p1 at the moment.

Yes I just disagree we shouldn't have strong opinions in things we don't experience directly.

Plus white people and men are not totally irrelevant to those debates.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    ddraver said:

It could be worse....

That our local lib dem member is painted as the living embodiment of the marxist red scare suggests that the forum skews rather right, but I occasionally dip into a US based ski forum and that is a whole box of....

Cakestop skews right? Really? I think there's only Stevo who admits to voting Tory and have you seen the hate the Conservatives get across a number of threads? Not to mention the bile aimed at GB News before it's even launched. Where are all the right wing posters? There's me I suppose, but I'm one of the few to be concerned with liberty and the increasing authoritarian actions of the government, and I also support nationalised railways, I'm not a free markets hawk and I've been against most of the foreign wars and interventions in recent memory from Iraq, to Afghanistan, to Lybia.