2021 Scott Addict RC30 V 2012 Scott CR1 SL (Kind of)

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,577
edited March 2021 in Road buying advice
Morning all,

after some advice of sorts.

I have a Westbrooks 2012 CR1 SL, built up exactly as I wanted it, Ultegra 6800, 1350g Mavic wheels, carbon everything pretty much tht can be, and she weighs in at about 7kg.
Changed to 25mm GP5000 tyres last year (Biggest I am happy to fit, well at the back anyway) and that has helped the comfort a little bit.
To be fair, it's generally very comfortable, only on longer rides I might feel it a little bit towards the end.

I also am fortunate enough to have a disc brake Foil RC - this is pretty much my dream bike, and I love it to bits, it's outrageously comfy, and stupidly fast, a proper grin inducing bike.

I also have a 2016 Ultegra Di2 Synapse , which is pretty much new - others have been ridden to it's detriment.

My eye has been caught by the 2021 Addict RC30, in a rather lovely yellow and black colour, and I'm also conscious that bike prices only seem to be going in one direction.
This is effectively the same spec as my CR1, all be it with disc brakes, and heavy wheels.
It weighs in at 8kg.
I suspect with some prudent wheel choice (38 Winspace hypers perhaps) and a carbon cockpit/lighter saddle (I have a Berk on the CR1 currently i could transfer over) this could be bought down to closer to 7.2kg.

The matte black top tube with the yellow RC keeps calling to me.

To add to the decision pot is the fact that my brother lives in Italy, and they have been suffering pretty badly over lockdown - they are seasonal workers who live there all year round, and their summer work, and most importantly 80% of their winter work has gone up in dust, and I don't think the Italian government are bailing such people out to the best of my knowledge.

He's a very keen cyclist, and I sent him a turbo trainer last year which he used during lockdown, and also when the weather is bad. His only road bike is an aging, but still lovely, Cannondale Caad 3, that we put a new groupset on a few years back, and put some new wheels on too.

I'd like to give him a bike.
Common sense says to give him the Synapse - he's in the mountains, and it has disc brakes, he's older than me, so the slightly more relaxed geometry (Though saying that, we know the CR1 SL doesn't exactly have out and out race bike geometry, so perhaps a non argument) might suit him well also.
However I know he prefers basic mechanical bikes, and this is both disc braked AND Di2, which he will have to remember to charge, and the bike will likely also be sat idle for long periods of time, so I wonder if the battery will deteriorate - and a new one iirc is around £100.

Option 2 is to indulge myself in an Addict RC30, and give him the CR1 SL.

What's holding me back is the weight aspect of the RC30 versus my CR1 SL.
Additional plus points for the RC30 are the fact is the disc brakes - I'm keen to head into the alps, dolomites etc when we are allowed to travel, and presumably a disc braked bike is ideal for handing the braking on the descents.

What would you do in this situation?
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    daniel_b said:

What would you do in this situation?

Morning Daniel,

I would do a bit of consolidating (if required) and have something custom made, then painted in yellow and matte black.

For all intents and purposes, the bike you posted will feel like what you already own.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • daniel_b
    edited March 2021
    Thanks Ben, I was led to believe that the latest Addict would offer more comfort than the CR1, partly due to dropped rear stays, and the fact you can fit wider tyres.

The bonus with this one is I can get it on the C2W scheme, which is much more palatable.

*Can you get custom made carbon frames....?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I was thinking steel, to be honest.

Comfort, within reason whatever tyre clearance you want, and a bike for life.

C2W scheme might be an issue, but you could use the scheme to buy something and then flip it in the classifieds here...
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • daniel_b
    Ben6899 said:

I was thinking steel, to be honest.

Comfort, within reason whatever tyre clearance you want, and a bike for life.

C2W scheme might be an issue, but you could use the scheme to buy something and then flip it in the classifieds here...

Hadn't considered that I have to be honest.

I also meant to mention that I'll sell the Synapse if I buy the RC30, and give the CR1 to my brother - I was planning to set it up as a 'nice' commuter, but with the infrequency I'll be visiting the office it seems overkill to have 2 bikes for that task.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Buy the Addict RC30 and give the CR1 to your brother. The CR1 has had its day and you probably won't notice the difference in weight during a ride anyway.
  • daniel_b
    bobones said:

Buy the Addict RC30 and give the CR1 to your brother. The CR1 has had its day and you probably won't notice the difference in weight during a ride anyway.

Don't beat around the bush @bobones :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 606
    edited March 2021
    Based on the colour of the Addict alone I can tell you're going to buy it anyway. It'll take wider tyres than the CR1 ever will so you can give the CR1 to your brother. He'll appreciate the mechanical simplicity.

I also have a CR1-SL and the limit on rear tyre width is the only thing I wish I could change
  • daniel_b
    Munsford0 said:

Based on the colour of the Addict alone I can tell you're going to buy it anyway. It'll take wider tyres than the CR1 ever will so you can give the CR1 to your brother. He'll appreciate the mechanical simplicity.

I also have a CR1-SL and the limit on rear tyre width is the only thing I wish I could change

lol, I don't know what you mean!

And yes I would agree with you there, the front could likely accomodate a 28, but the tightness on those rear stays is a source of irritation - even with the 25mm 5000s on there (They measure up at 24mm) I'm still nervous and have frame protection tape around the stays where it would contact should there be a fairy visit.
    Aside from that, stunning bike, and I think for my brother it will feel radically different - the Ultegra 6800 is ratchet precision shifting, virtually needs zero adjustments, just keeps working.

Frustratingly, Start Fitness this morning put the price up by £350, and won't entertain the idea of selling it to me at yesterday's price despite me contacting them yesterday to ask about it. I've spent a decent chunk of cash with them in the past as well.

So I've written them off as an avenue, and if I do go the Addict RC route, I think I have found an LBS who will accomodate me and my C2W voucher which is good, so just have to hope there are some decent colourways in the RC30 next year, and surely they won't jack the prices up yet again?
    Looks like the 202 version was £3200, 2021 initially was £3400, and not cranked up to £3749 :-(

Even if it goes up to £4000, with the voucher that will bring it down to around £3300, which I what I was looking to spend on this sans voucher before they jacked the price up - it's the last one they have too!

I won't be able to get the CR1 to my brother until next year anyway, so in hindsight I think this is the right way, and gives me more time to sell my Synapse.

What are the odds that the RC30 colours next year are 2 of these 4:
    Red, White, Grey, Black :#

Did some more digging on the frame dimensions etc, and it's pretty darned close to my Foil, which is good. I'm taking the non integrated cockpit as a good thing, as I can ride it for a year, and decide what width and length stem I want before upgrading, though I suspect the stock setup will be fine as it is on the Foil.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18