Planetx dropout repair

Loaned my son my PlanetX xls and it came back with the inboard metal part of the dropout missing. Any suggestions on how to replace or is a trip to the LBS?? Photo isn’t my bike , just to show the bit that is missing.

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Have you contacted Planet X?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • 5amSaint
    5amSaint Posts: 4
    Yes I did that first but they said it’s not listed as a spare part as they buy the frames with them already fitted.
  • Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,698
    LBS is one solution, very much depends how good they are at problem solving. £££?

Otherwise you could purchase a part if you can find one, this might be good (not sure this link will work as expected) carbon

You could make one, starting with a suitable sized aluminum washer then perhaps bond it in place, that's what I would do
    Sorry I can't be more positiive, they look like nice bikes
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    david37 said:
    I think you missed the point the OP made. It’s not the hanger but the actual metal dropout. No idea where you’d source one of these and it will need some epoxy bonding into the stays. I’m sure a good frame repairer could do this. It would need to be accurate else the wheel might be skewed.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    edited March 2021

david37 said:
    I think you missed the point the OP made. It’s not the hanger but the actual metal dropout. No idea where you’d source one of these and it will need some epoxy bonding into the stays. I’m sure a good frame repairer could do this. It would need to be accurate else the wheel might be skewed.
    I did miss it!

but then again doesn't he say that Planet X buy them fitted? that would indicate a removable replaceable part. you may well be right but also, there may be a description error here.

Im not overly invested either way but if the dropout has fallen out the frame is farked. and I would have thought a warranty claim.
  • 5amSaint
    5amSaint Posts: 4
    Thanks for the feed back everyone. I decided to bite the bullet and send it to Carbon Bike Repair in Leatherhead.
    Quoted me £150 to make as new. I’ll post results when it returns.