Fake News in cycling

Whilst watching the rerun of the 2009 Paris Roubaix, David Harmon was corrected when incorrectly asserting that Bernard Hinault rode the race once, won it, and never rode again.

In actual fact, he rode it 5 times in total, winning it on his 4th attempt, then defending his title before never riding again.

This is one of many tall tales that permeate throughout cycling history so I thought it'd be a nice thread to recount your favourite ones.

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    C+P from Wikipedia

Rene Vietto lost a toe to sepsis in 1947. Legend has it that Vietto insisted his domestique, Apo Lazarides, cut off one of his own toes to match. According to legend, Vietto's toe is in formaldehyde in a bar in Marseilles.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    That there was no Tour de France from 1999 to 2005.....

More seriously:

That Greg LeMond debuted the Tri-bars only in the final TT in the '89 Tour.

In a similar vein, that Boardman turned up to Barcelona with the Lotus bike that had never been used in Competition previously.

• Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091

Correction: there were Tours de France, but everybody lost. That's... actually pretty accurate.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    RichN95. said:

C+P from Wikipedia

Rene Vietto lost a toe to sepsis in 1947. Legend has it that Vietto insisted his domestique, Apo Lazarides, cut off one of his own toes to match. According to legend, Vietto's toe is in formaldehyde in a bar in Marseilles.

Yes I heard this exact one as a 10 year old from my grandfather, whilst I was watching Pantani rip it up on Les Deux Alp.
  • diplodicus
    diplodicus Posts: 711

Whilst watching the rerun of the 2009 Paris Roubaix, David Harmon was corrected when incorrectly asserting that Bernard Hinault rode the race once, won it, and never rode again.

In actual fact, he rode it 5 times in total, winning it on his 4th attempt, then defending his title before never riding again.

This is one of many tall tales that permeate throughout cycling history so I thought it'd be a nice thread to recount your favourite ones.

Is this linked to the "it's a race for dickheads" (mis)quote?
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892
    The famous photo of Coppi and Bartali exchanging a water bottle was in fact staged by the photographer rather than a spontaneous act of sportsmanship, as is the popular myth surrounding it.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224

Correction: there were Tours de France, but everybody lost. That's... actually pretty accurate.
    Correction correction: George Hincapie, Viatcheslav Ekimov, Trek bikes, Coca Cola, Michelle Ferrari, etc. were all winners.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    That Sky/Ineos race/d clean
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    yawn
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • RichN95.
    edited March 2021
    There's this self-created fake news in a twitter profile

• davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    edited March 2021
    phreak said:

The famous photo of Coppi and Bartali exchanging a water bottle was in fact staged by the photographer rather than a spontaneous act of sportsmanship, as is the popular myth surrounding it.

and it wasn't in the Giro

just fancy that : http://pistehors.com/8LCO7XQByuHDGsGAnXHb/that-bottle
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    One that recurs is the story that Eugène Christophe was disqualified for using child labour to pump the bellows as he welded his own forks back together, whereas the truth is that he was given a three minute penalty.

In some ways the token three minutes (when he'd already taken three hours to mend them) only highlights the absurd level of pedantry from all involved.
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    That was David Duffield’s favourite story so it must have been true.
  • RichN95.
    edited March 2021
    There's a book by a Dutchman called Benjo Maso that examines the relationship between the media and cycling throughout the ages and the legends that arise called "The Sweat of the Gods".

Aside form that, there's a lot of nonsense about the 'unwritten rules', such as waiting for a star who crashed. No-one waited before Armstrong waited for Ullrich, probably to patronise him.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,513
    RichN95. said:

Aside form that, there's a lot of nonsense about the 'unwritten rules', such as waiting for a star who crashed. No-one waited before Armstrong waited for Ullrich, probably to patronise him.

That's not true. I have a memory of Indurain being told it wasn't the done thing to attack when his opponent crashed/punctured.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217

RichN95. said:

That's not true. I have a memory of Indurain being told it wasn't the done thing to attack when his opponent crashed/punctured.
    There's a difference between not attacking and waiting though.
  • rick_chasey
    edited March 2021
    Maybe this is not quite in the spirit of the thread, but the idea that Lance was an absolute donkey and was turned into a race horse with drugs isn't really true.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

Maybe this is not quite in the spirit of the thread, but the idea that Lance was an absolute donkey and was turned into a race horse with drugs isn't really true.

I agree. He was a phenomenal athlete, anyway. And he knew how to win (not like that).
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • TheBigBean
    Pross said:

RichN95. said:

Same unwritten rule that clearly had been around a while.
  • RichN95.
    Pross said:

RichN95. said:

Indeed. It got to its worst when Dumoulin stopped for his poo and they waited for ages for him to catch up before deciding enough was enough.
  • yorkshireraw

Agree to an extent- he was clearly a very good athlete as a kid - the issue with all those guys is they were using some type of stuff from very early on - do we think he was clean as a whistle when he won the 93 worlds?
    Same with all the Pantani love 'greatest ever climber' and all that - he was juiced as a junior in all likelihood.

Equally, the idea that if no one had been using EPO Lance would still have still won the tour, isn't true either. His natural HCT was around 38-40, so he could boost it by up to 25% and still be inside the UCI 'health' limit. If you have a HCT of near 50 naturally, without Armstrong's other physical elements, you're losing out.
  • yorkshireraw
    RichN95. said:

Pross said:

RichN95. said:

Indeed. It got to its worst when Dumoulin stopped for his poo and they waited for ages for him to catch up before deciding enough was enough.
    I don't think they should have waited for TD on that occasion - managing your
    physical state and food / fluid intake is part of racing, esp in a GT.

It's different if there's a general agreement among the leaders that it's pee stop time and then one or two jump the rest.
  • yorkshireraw
    Back to Fake News -

Sky, or sometimes USPS, invented mountain trains / controlling the race for their leader.
  • RichN95.

Back to Fake News -

Sky, or sometimes USPS, invented mountain trains / controlling the race for their leader.

Or that they (and BC) invented 'Marginal gains'. They may have invented the phrase, but not the concept.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597

Back to Fake News -

I can almost hear Hinault saying "Où penses-tu aller?"
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • RichN95.
    Another bit of fake news is the idea that Bernard Hinault, when winning the Tour, was an attacking rider. The results suggest that he was actually a dominant TTer who minimised his loses (usually to Zoetemelk) in the mountains. When he came up against a decent TTer (Fignon/LeMond) he lost
  • TheBigBean
    RichN95. said:

Back to Fake News -

Or that they (and BC) invented 'Marginal gains'. They may have invented the phrase, but not the concept.
    I was going to post the same. A lot of things supposedly invented by Sky could be posted in this thread.

I might give them credit for the sprint train that delivers a team's GC rider to the 3km flag though.
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408

RichN95. said:

Back to Fake News -

I was going to post the same. A lot of things supposedly invented by Sky could be posted in this thread.

I might give them credit for the sprint train that delivers a team's GC rider to the 3km flag though.
    They didn't invent them, but they did them better than everyone else, and every team is now following their lead.
  • rick_chasey
    USP did it better....
  • yorkshireraw

USP did it better....

It was literally their USP.....