Changing bike stem

Total novice here but the above is what my current bike stem / handledars look like. The issue I'm having is lack of stogare space in my hallway! Looking to change it for one of these but appreciate my current set up is completely different.

https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/satori-ahead-handle-stem/137642404/p?utm_source=google_products&utm_medium=merchant&id_producte=11140337&country=uk

Not at all good with bike terminology but pretty handy at doing these things myself.
Can the full handlebar stem be replaced on my bike to fit the above? If so are these things universal and what other "bits" would I need to get?

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,001
    Yours has a quill stem, which are different fit to the (now much more common) AHead type that fit onto the steerer (the tube that links the forks to the stem). Your ad looks like ahead type.
    Adapters do exist to convert quill to Ahead, but
    I would be VERY wary of using an adapter plus a third-party quick release mechanism. Failure here could have nasty consequences.
  • Thanks. So forgive my innoconce, but can't I just remove the full quill stem and add an ahead type stem?
  • So for example, installing something like this
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/brand-x-quill-adaptor-alloy
  • Mad_Malx
    Yes, that's the adaptor I think (would need to check your existing tube diameter). The potential problem is that you would then be using an adaptor and then your quick release thingy, neither if which are likely to be as secure as your original setup.
    Folding bike people use QR stems all the time and the proper brands pass safety standards so they are not necessarily bad, but their design is a bit different.

I'm maybe being over cautious, but it definitely isn't something you want to go wrong. I don't know anything about the brand you are linking to.
  • Mad_Malx
    The quill design incorporates both the stem and the vertical tube that fits into the steerer. But the steerer tube for an ahead stem is different from one designed for a quill, do it's not a straight swap and hence the adaptor needed.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I think somebody is being over cautions here.
    IMHO the wiggle adaptor will work fine with your bike and new stem.
  • Mad_Malx
    Probably, yes. If checked it myself I’d be likely happy enough.

I don’t know the Sartori brand but if the stem is well constructed and you make sure the qr is tensioned properly, it should be fine.
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    If there is one advantage to quill stems then it is you wont mess up the headset preload if you undo the centre bolt.
    Undo bolt, turn 90 degrees then retighten.

Its a minor pain to straighten it up especially if your fussy about those things.
  • Just wanted to post an update incase this helps anyone looking to do the same. I've made the changes as posted above and could not be happier. All works well and is such a game changer in terms of storage.
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    Fair do's, not seen one of those before, will save you banging your hip every time you walk past a protruding handlebar!