Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,383
    ....and they all stop
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,811
    Now they are toodling quietly down the descent.
    What an awful race.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,533
    Winning move that
  • rick_chasey

Winning move that

Or not haha
  • ddraver
    edited March 2021
    Big names all watching each other.

Small names come out to play
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Sagan on MvdPs wheel...??
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey

Winning move that

Or not haha
    Ignore me
  • ddraver
    That is an epic win for Jasper Stuyven...
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,552
    Some quick editing could help here.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    ddraver said:

That is an epic win for Jasper Stuyven...

Wow.

Nice finish that. Stuyven had one way to win and he played a blinder
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,811
    Shambles of a race.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    Great effort by Stuyven. He deserved that. I though Caleb might do a Cavendish on him.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    ddraver said:

Sagan on MvdPs wheel...??

He was charging at the end but just a little too far back. Glad to see him on the mend
    - @ddraver
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    Fortune favoured the brave. Well done. I don't think there's been a multiple winner since Oscar Freire so no surprise that a new name got the win.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,444
    Always a chance in this race if you aren't a "big name" and get to the top of the Poggio in a group. Great ride by Ewan but I think his presence had an impact on the chasing. Ineos did some excellent work but just no-one there for that sort of finish. Sagan shows he's not finished.
  • RichN95.
    Sagan fourth after being laid low with Covid. Let's not bury his career just yet.
  • rick_chasey
    Phew
  • ddraver
    edited March 2021
    He owes Soren a beer or two...

Thoughts for Not a Doc at this difficult time.🤏
    - @ddraver
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Nice win for Stuyven. Caleb Ewan being there stopped a proper chase
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,283
    I don't think Ineos actually drilled it that hard up the Poggio, but everyone was waiting for the MvdP attack that never came, so it kicked off too late and too many came over the top together
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.

I don't think Ineos actually drilled it that hard up the Poggio, but everyone was waiting for the MvdP attack that never came, so it kicked off too late and too many came over the top together

In retrospect they should have tried to place Ganna in the select group as he could do what Stuyven did (and maybe better). Neither Pidcock or Kwiato was going to win.
  • Pross

Yeah, I think Ganna had to push a bit on the approach to get to the front. It felt like Rowe did more damage on the Cipressa, it also felt like he got left on the front too long after the Cipressa possibly as Ganna had got caught behind. I'm quite sure what van Baarle's role was either. They certainly had numbers at the pointy end though which bodes well for races that might suit their leaders a bit more.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,461
    Pross said:

Yeah, I think Ganna had to push a bit on the approach to get to the front. It felt like Rowe did more damage on the Cipressa, it also felt like he got left on the front too long after the Cipressa possibly as Ganna had got caught behind. I'm quite sure what van Baarle's role was either. They certainly had numbers at the pointy end though which bodes well for races that might suit their leaders a bit more.
    Unfortunately for Ineos they've only ever had one real top class classics leader (kwiatkowski), but they turned him in to a tour de France domestique and he's now on the decline. They've always had plenty of guys who'll be in the top 20, but no one else to contest for the win.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    gsk82 said:

Pross said:

Unfortunately for Ineos they've only ever had one real top class classics leader (kwiatkowski), but they turned him in to a tour de France domestique and he's now on the decline. They've always had plenty of guys who'll be in the top 20, but no one else to contest for the win.
    Pidcock might get there eventually but Skineos' return in the big one-dayers is borderline scandalous given their resources.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Pross
    gsk82 said:

Pross said:

They had Thomas too but turned him into a Tour winner plus Stannard. I think Pidcock could be a contender although it's hard to know what direction his career will go. I also think Ganna has the ability to be a Cancellara style rider if allowed.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,336
    edited March 2021

gsk82 said:

Pross said:

Pidcock might get there eventually but Skineos' return in the big one-dayers is borderline scandalous given their resources.
    Think it can only ever happen in the very hilly stuff. Pidcock is too light and thus lacks the power compared to the others.

Both Ganna' and MvdP's (especially last season) road careers are being hampered by their Olympic ambitions. Due to Covid delaying the Olympics mainly.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,564
    Anyone will GvA will ever win another big race?
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,461
    gweeds said:

Anyone will GvA will ever win another big race?

Not a single day race. Maybe some grand tour stages
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,916
    edited March 2021
    MvdP has uploaded his mere 306 kms to Strava https://strava.com/activities/4979121895
    Only 307 watts (or 293 w depending on method) weighted average power, and 241 w average power, for 6 hrs 50 mins!
    44.9 kmh average speed!
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313

MvdP has uploaded his mere 306 kms to Strava https://strava.com/activities/4979121895
    Only 307 watts (or 293 w depending on method) weighted average power, and 241 w average power, for 6 hrs 50 mins!
    44.9 kmh average speed!

BEAST