Milan - San Remo 2021 ***Spoilers***

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    phreak said:

Can we have a moment for Kwiato, whose season is going so badly he's not even mentioned as a super-duper outside bet?

He's bluffing!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    phreak said:

Do we have a view if MvdP is good going downhill? I know we think JA will commit and WvA can go down faster than him - how does MvdP stack up?

Really poor choice of phrasing there @rick_chasey Can we avoid the stack word re Poggio descents please?
    It's hard to tell how people's legs will fare after such a long way. A lot of riders could really hit the wall in that finale.
    is Froome on the start list?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Pity Pog isn't riding
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    Friebe on the Podcast suggests Ganna is in with a shout... TTing to the finish from the bottom of the Poggio.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    phreak said:

Can we have a moment for Kwiato, whose season is going so badly he's not even mentioned as a super-duper outside bet?

I think his winning days are mostly over. The new crop of riders are just better than him at everything. Even at his very best he wasn't consistently great. Just popped up every now and again to take a great win before falling off again.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • ddraver
    Slightly harsh, He was Sagan's bete-noir for a good few years...
    - @ddraver
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    Yeah I agree and he still is one of my favourite riders, but he was nowhere as consistent a threat to bet on for example as Alaphilippe has been, let alone MvdP or WVA. He is tremendous and has had amazing and memorable wins, but I feel that those days are mostly over now and he never burned bright for extended periods, but rather lit up for brief moments before fading back again.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    edited March 2021
    mrb123 said:

Alaphilippe (the nag) outside the top 3...

(Tony) Galopin de Champs romped home in the 4.15 though and made me some money. We'll ignore ASO at 200/1 in the Gold Cup.

He joins Numbersixvalverde and Pineau de Re in the cycling/horse racing Hall of Fame
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

Pity Pog isn't riding

4 Cheese Pogacar
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    Could MvDP's Spring classics campaign be in jeopardy?

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/alpecin-fenix-pull-out-of-volta-a-catalunya-after-three-staff-members-test-positive-for-covid-19/

(hopefully, it's only WVA or JA who might burst his bubble)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • david37

Could MvDP's Spring classics campaign be in jeopardy?

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/alpecin-fenix-pull-out-of-volta-a-catalunya-after-three-staff-members-test-positive-for-covid-19/

(hopefully, it's only WVA or JA who might burst his bubble)

That would be a shame, the gladiators need to meet each other. There can be only one.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    Break of the day have 7.30 The usual Italians plus a Dutchman, a Frenchman and a young viking.

TAGLIANI Filippo
    VIEL Mattia
    TONELLI Alessandro
    VAN DER HOORN Taco
    NORSGAARD Mathias
    PERON Andrea
    PLANET Charles
    CONCI Nicola

I might check in to see which sprinters look rough on Colle del Giovo, but otherwise see you on the Cipressa
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • david37
    only 248K to go, glad ive tuned in on time
  • david37
    my kind of riding, down hill with a tailwind
  • david37
    242 km remaining for the camera team to get its act together
  • david37
    comfort break filming is better quality
    than the race
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Heart says Sagan, head says not to put money on that. Would love it if we get attacks from a long way out .

JA surely has to hope he can stick with the two cyclocross boys and then play the card that he has two sprinters coming up behind and just sit on from the top of the Poggio.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • blazing_saddles
    Ah the joys of the Po valley.
    Something for the connoisseur apparently.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    All the riders in short sleeves but leg warmers should be removed from the race.
  • Pross
    Looking at this and thinking I could probably sit in quite comfortably for the time being then Ballerini's power data comes up showing him ticking over at 200w plus to make me realise I wouldn't survive much more than an hour at most.
  • ddraver
    Have we got an idea on finish time?

My morning ride has been disrupted by a rather lively exploding radiator...
    - @ddraver
  • blazing_saddles
    ddraver said:

Have we got an idea on finish time?

My morning ride has been disrupted by a rather lively exploding radiator...

4 hours from now would be a 44kph average.
    So tune back in around 3 hours and 45 minutes from now. ;):D
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    Andrii Ponomar is 18 years old, and has this as his first day of racing since September.
  • Pross
    edited March 2021
    Something seeing the early stages of a long race makes me ponder. How do the riders get their leg warmers off? You see riders ditching jackets and gilets as they warm up but I've never seen anyone taking off leg warmers. I assume they mainly stop to do it but sometimes you see riders still wearing them late in the race where stopping is likely to be difficult.

Edit - also is there a rule limiting races to less than 300k? If not I would have found an extra km if I was the course designer!
  • Pross
    Surprised how strung out the bunch has been since I switched on. They seem to be working much harder than I'd assumed they would in this race. It looks like a team could cause mischief with the wind if they felt like it but doubt it would put them in the good books.
  • Pross

Andrii Ponomar is 18 years old, and has this as his first day of racing since September.

That feels irresponsible but then I guess his job will be over and he'll be able to drop out well before the finish.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Pross said:

That feels irresponsible but then I guess his job will be over and he'll be able to drop out well before the finish.

The pros always say that it's quite an easy race to ride and finish despite it's length.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    RichN95. said:

Pross said:

The pros always say that it's quite an easy race to ride and finish despite it's length.
    If the finale was after 200km it’d be a sprint finish every single time.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Pross said:

Surprised how strung out the bunch has been since I switched on. They seem to be working much harder than I'd assumed they would in this race.

I was surprised at that too, was expecting a TDF week 2 transition stage feel.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    Pross said:

He's an Androni rider who's not in the break - I don't think much is expected of him. Be a great day out, I reckon.