Replacing hydraulic hoses

slowmart
slowmart Posts: 4,481
edited March 2021 in Workshop
I’m upgrading to aero bars with internal routing so I thought I’d take the opportunity to swap my gear cables and hydraulic hoses as they are 6 years old.

I’ve ordered the wrong metal connectors which sit inside the end of the hose.

I’ve cut all the old hose away from the old connectors and then inserted this into the new hose .

I’ve connected the brake hose and gear cable at the front brake at the lever and need to reuse the old connectors to connect the hose to the calliper.

Am I ok using the old connectors?

“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu

Comments

• pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Depends what fitment they are I would guess. I have straight connectors, not Banjo connectors. If yours are the same as mine (Shimano) you will probably need new compression rings - you can get away with removing and refitting an existing hose, but if you have swapped the hose you cannot transfer the compression ring as it has been compressed onto the old hose.

By the sounds of it you have the wrong hose inserts and have salvaged the old ones, but I suspect the compression rings are different as well as the inserts. This chart shows which kit you need.

https://epicbleedsolutions.com/blogs/articles/bh59-or-bh90-which-insert-do-i-need

PP