• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,314

pangolin said:

pangolin said:

pblakeney said:

elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

So is it not needed for reasonable stuff that nobody could argue with, or is it?

Its whole point is to stifle protest. It's worded in a way that means the police can legally stop almost any protest from going ahead.

No, not at all.
    The police can process someone for the offence of nuisance under the new statute, the same as they could process someone under common law.
    The difference in the way the offences are prosecuted will now be dependant on the result of the nuisance behaviour and not the behaviour itself.

An analogy could be the throwing of fireworks in the street. If you do it, you could get a fixed penalty of £80 or a fine of up to £5000.
    If you were to throw a firework in the High St at 4 am you may expect a different result than throwing the same firework in the High Street at 2pm on a Saturday afternoon . You would reasonably therefore expect a different punishment would you not?

Not a perfect analogy, I grant you. But trying to show how the level of punishment can be dependant more on the consequence of the act than the act itself.
    There are other parts of the bill, designed to stifle protest, above the extension of the nuisance.

"This measure will broaden the range of circumstances in which the police can impose conditions on protests, including a single person protest, to include where noise causes a significant impact on those in the vicinity or serious disruption to the running of an organisation. The Home Secretary will have the power, through secondary legislation, to define and give examples of “serious disruption to the life of the community” and “serious disruption to the activities of an organisation which are carried out in the vicinity of the procession/assembly/one-person protest”."

That's the government's description, by the way, so the most sympathetic view of it.
    So it basically gives the HS the power to say, that person's pissing me off, i'll silence them (through an SI)?

The bit about activities of an organisation would have prevented the anti-fracking protests i assume.

It's a serious erosion of the right to protest. You can protest, so long as to do it quietly and invisibly...and therefore ineffectively.
    Parliament can reject or accept SIs btw
    How would you go about mitigating the impact ot the demonstrations that gridlocked London or do you see any restrictions as being an erosion of your liberty? Are liberties being infringed already, enough for you to want to scrap existing powers?
    How about the liberty of millions of people to go about their lives rather than being prevented by a tiny minority?
    How do you balance that?
    You could have just policed them properly.

Pretty sure the police can remove people obstructing a highway as it is and they can certainly remove people from train stations that are causing a disturbance.

This is much greater than stopping gridlock. It's to curb the right to protest

Protesters superglue themselves to objects, link hands through wastepipes, padlock themselves or fill the pipe with concrete so that they have to be cut free.
    It's not always a case of just carting them away.
    Will this law stop that? As the justice minister admitted, harsher sentencing is not a deterrent, the way you police is.
    Context.

"Chris Philp, the minister responsible for sentencing, said that detailed research had found that the likelihood of being caught and punished was much more important in discouraging people from committing crime than the length of jail sentences."

Of course. The length of sentence is meaningless if you don't get caught.
    If you superglue yourself to the road, causing gridlock, I think even the Met stand a chance of catching you.
    Has this happened to many of us?
    What? getting caught or gluing ourselves to the road?????
    Sorry no, have you been caught in gridlock because of a protest?

Occasionally cycling through parliament square was slow because of one thing or another but I don't think I was ever trapped anywhere.

I don't live in London which is the chief target for protests, but I would suggest that if it was slow on a bike, it would be infinitely slower in a car.
    Well driving around London is a mugs game at the best of times.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,692

elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

So is it not needed for reasonable stuff that nobody could argue with, or is it?

Its whole point is to stifle protest. It's worded in a way that means the police can legally stop almost any protest from going ahead.

No, not at all.
    The police can process someone for the offence of nuisance under the new statute, the same as they could process someone under common law.
    The difference in the way the offences are prosecuted will now be dependant on the result of the nuisance behaviour and not the behaviour itself.

An analogy could be the throwing of fireworks in the street. If you do it, you could get a fixed penalty of £80 or a fine of up to £5000.
    If you were to throw a firework in the High St at 4 am you may expect a different result than throwing the same firework in the High Street at 2pm on a Saturday afternoon . You would reasonably therefore expect a different punishment would you not?

Not a perfect analogy, I grant you. But trying to show how the level of punishment can be dependant more on the consequence of the act than the act itself.
    There are other parts of the bill, designed to stifle protest, above the extension of the nuisance.

"This measure will broaden the range of circumstances in which the police can impose conditions on protests, including a single person protest, to include where noise causes a significant impact on those in the vicinity or serious disruption to the running of an organisation. The Home Secretary will have the power, through secondary legislation, to define and give examples of “serious disruption to the life of the community” and “serious disruption to the activities of an organisation which are carried out in the vicinity of the procession/assembly/one-person protest”."

That's the government's description, by the way, so the most sympathetic view of it.
    So it basically gives the HS the power to say, that person's pissing me off, i'll silence them (through an SI)?

The bit about activities of an organisation would have prevented the anti-fracking protests i assume.

It's a serious erosion of the right to protest. You can protest, so long as to do it quietly and invisibly...and therefore ineffectively.
    How would you go about mitigating the impact ot the demonstrations that gridlocked London or do you see any restrictions as being an erosion of your liberty? Are liberties being infringed already, enough for you to want to scrap existing powers?
    How about the liberty of millions of people to go about their lives rather than being prevented by a tiny minority?
    How do you balance that?

Pretty sure the police can remove people obstructing a highway as it is and they can certainly remove people from train stations that are causing a disturbance.

SOME Protesters superglue themselves to objects, link hands through wastepipes, padlock themselves or fill the pipe with concrete so that they have to be cut free.
    FTFY.
    Fair enough. Guess which protesters this legislation is aimed at.
    All of them, that's the point.

It is only the ones that cause serious harm that will find themselves tried by indictment. The low level nuisance cases will be tried summarily and will notice no difference than if they were being prosecuted under common law.
    That's not what the legal commentators are saying.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

pangolin said:

pangolin said:

pblakeney said:

elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

No, not at all.

How do you balance that?

Protesters superglue themselves to objects, link hands through wastepipes, padlock themselves or fill the pipe with concrete so that they have to be cut free.
    Will this law stop that? As the justice minister admitted, harsher sentencing is not a deterrent, the way you police is.
    Context.

"Chris Philp, the minister responsible for sentencing, said that detailed research had found that the likelihood of being caught and punished was much more important in discouraging people from committing crime than the length of jail sentences."

If you superglue yourself to the road, causing gridlock, I think even the Met stand a chance of catching you.

Occasionally cycling through parliament square was slow because of one thing or another but I don't think I was ever trapped anywhere.

I don't live in London
    which is the chief target for protests, but I would suggest that if it was slow on a bike, it would be infinitely slower in a car.
    Then what's the bloody problem?

I work/commute into London and was affected by the protests, in that I had to detour round them on my bike, but I fully supported their right to protest and climate change is a worthy cause.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh

pangolin said:

pangolin said:

pblakeney said:

elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

No, not at all.

How do you balance that?

Context.

I don't live in London which is the chief target for protests, but I would suggest that if it was slow on a bike, it would be infinitely slower in a car.
    On a normal day it's infinitely slower in a car than on a bike in London
    All this shows is that more people should cycle in London.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

No, not at all.

How do you balance that?

SOME Protesters superglue themselves to objects, link hands through wastepipes, padlock themselves or fill the pipe with concrete so that they have to be cut free.
    FTFY.
    Fair enough. Guess which protesters this legislation is aimed at.
    All of them, that's the point.

It is only the ones that cause serious harm that will find themselves tried by indictment. The low level nuisance cases will be tried summarily and will notice no difference than if they were being prosecuted under common law.
    I don't trust the government to implement this in that manner.

They seem intent on stamping out dissent and criticism (see attempts to strangle the BBC).

This is the epitome of cancel culture. Where is the outrage from the right?
    Most people accused of nuisance will probably never see court, they will either get a caution or simply released.
    Those that do, will go to Mags court and if the mags court decides the case is too serious for them to hear it will get bumped up to Crown court.
    The Home Sec is not going to be bumping up rubbish to the already busy Crown Court. Anyone thinking otherwise is wearing heavy duty tin foil. imo
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773

pblakeney said:

elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

No, not at all.

How do you balance that?

Context.

I have a genius method of not getting caught. 😉
    The context was not aimed at protesting though.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ballysmate
    elbowloh said:

pangolin said:

pangolin said:

pblakeney said:

elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

No, not at all.

How do you balance that?

Context.

I don't live in London
    which is the chief target for protests, but I would suggest that if it was slow on a bike, it would be infinitely slower in a car.

I work/commute into London and was affected by the protests, in that I had to detour round them on my bike, but I fully supported their right to protest and climate change is a worthy cause.
    I too support their right to protest, whatever the cause and whether I an sympathetic to it or not.
    I don't accept their conviction (not the criminal ones) to a cause give them the right to trump the rights of others to lead their normal lives.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,692
    edited March 2021

I too support their right to protest, whatever the cause and whether I an sympathetic to it or not.
    I don't accept their conviction (not the criminal ones) to a cause give them the right to trump the rights of others to lead their normal lives.

That's fine, but the law already covers this. Ultimately I'm of the view the law is fine for this and I think the new proposal is an attempt to give the gov't muscle to shut down protests it doesn't like.
  • elbowloh

elbowloh said:

pangolin said:

pangolin said:

pblakeney said:

elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

No, not at all.

How do you balance that?

Context.

I don't live in London

A normal life is a high polluting one that will inevitably lead to an increase in average temperatures to life as we know it. Living a normal life is the one sure fire way of the end of people leading a normal life.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ballysmate
    edited March 2021
    elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

pangolin said:

pangolin said:

pblakeney said:

elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

No, not at all.

How do you balance that?

Context.

I don't live in London

A normal life is a high polluting one that will inevitably lead to an increase in average temperatures to life as we know it. Living a normal life is the one sure fire way of the end of people leading a normal life.
    Well yes quite.
    But if you support their right to protest my life, do you support my right to lead it? :)
  • elbowloh

elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

pangolin said:

pangolin said:

pblakeney said:

elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

No, not at all.

How do you balance that?

Context.

I don't live in London

Well yes quite.
    But if you support their right to protest my life, do you support my right to lead it? :)
    Depends on how you live it.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ballysmate
    Life in the fast lane baby!

If you believe that, I have this bridge you may be interested in. :D
  • elbowloh

Life in the fast lane baby!

If you believe that, I have this bridge you may be interested in. :D

If it'll reach Belfast, Boris will buy it.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,248
    Don't worry, the demonstrations won't get organised in the first place.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,664

elbowloh said:

pangolin said:

pangolin said:

pblakeney said:

elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

No, not at all.

How do you balance that?

Context.

I don't live in London

If we all insisted on a right not to be inconvenienced on our way to work, London would cease to function. There are always traffic JAMS and delays on PT, even when most people are supposed to be furloughed or WFH.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pangolin
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pangolin
    edited March 2021
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • ballysmate
    pangolin said:
    :D:D
    See you never know who you're fcuking with do you?

Not wrong though are they?
  • kingstongraham

pangolin said:
    :D:D
    See you never know who you're fcuking with do you?

Not wrong though are they?
    As Ian Dunt says throughout his thread, it's a carefully orchestrated sin of omission.
  • kingstongraham
    If I'm seriously annoyed by Mrs Brown's Boys being on TV, can I ask for Brendan O'Carroll to be locked up?

The act says that an offence is committed if a person does an act that causes or carries a risk of causing serious annoyance to another person, and the maximum sentence is 10 years.
  • ballysmate
    :D
    If the shoe you chuck at the telly rebounds and hits you on the head, killing you, I will personally campaign to ensure he gets the max 10 years.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,345

If I'm seriously annoyed by Mrs Brown's Boys being on TV, can I ask for Brendan O'Carroll to be locked up?

He should be locked up. I'll start a petition.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • kingstongraham
    pinno said:

That might annoy him, though.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    If the new law annoys you does it go full circle?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,916
    Not trivial for anyone that lost money. But how did football index ever get off the ground.
  • ballysmate
    pinno said:

Transphobe!

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,548
    i live in london, protests are sometimes annoying

i do not want these measures passed into law

this government has already enacted the greatest removal of individual rights in the history of the uk

the level of state surveillance is unprecedented and increasing

bolstered by a rabid and increasingly fascist press, it is taking actions designed to suppress and punish dissent

q: how does a country become totalitarian?

a: one day at a time

may as well have let the soviets take over
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    I discovered that cisgender is a word today, how have I got through life without this knowledge?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,320
    I think sungod's post above is right, but can't click the 'like' button bacause I don't like it.