Di2 on a non di2 canyon frame

2»

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,623
    MattFalle said:

its just consistently surprising that people will pay so much for something that doesn't operate that much better - if any at all - than a decent mechanical set up but is heavier, more complicated more error prone, more restrictive on frame choice, impossible to repair, less transferable across ranges and, some might say, uglier.

but its horses for courses i suppose: so long as people are happy thats all that matters in the crazy post Tony times.

Says mr dura ace carbon chain rings.... Hahaha..hahha... breathe... ha haha hahaha... chuckle.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    MattFalle said:

its just consistently surprising that people will pay so much for something that doesn't operate that much better - if any at all - than a decent mechanical set up but is heavier, more complicated more error prone, more restrictive on frame choice, impossible to repair, less transferable across ranges and, some might say, uglier.

but its horses for courses i suppose: so long as people are happy thats all that matters in the crazy post Tony times.

If you have Di2 (or any electronic groupset for that matter) & you need a new mech you either pay it it do without. I’m not saying it is or isn’t worth it, that’s just the way it is.

No one “needs” Di2 but if you want it & can afford it why not?

I’ll be getting it in the near future, will it make me any faster? No. Do I care? Not in the slightest.

I’ve saved up for it & bought the bits all separately over time so it was cheaper rather than cheap.

I wanted it, it’s worth it to me & TBH that’s all that matters.

As you say horses for courses.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

MattFalle said:

Says mr dura ace carbon chain rings.... Hahaha..hahha... breathe... ha haha hahaha... chuckle.
    i haven't got dura ace carbon chain rings. i wasn't aware they made them, however, if they do and they are the right price i may buy some.

do you have any links please?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Re: the rear mech - I had a minor off and Di2 stopped working. Oddly it worked fine to get me home, then when I charged it before a ride the next day - kaput.

Left it with the shop for a couple of days to fiddle with the wires and still zilch. And as you say - when you need a new mech, you need a new mech or you don't ride your bike.

Just checked the receipt and you're quite right I paid £200.

FYI: The sexiest chainset of all time is the rare and expensive 7800 series with carbon cranks. That and the cannondale SiSL2

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Dura-Ace-Fc-7800-C-Carbon-Crankset-172-5-53T-Dura-Ace-/353412237949
  • MattFalle

Re: the rear mech - I had a minor off and Di2 stopped working. Oddly it worked fine to get me home, then when I charged it before a ride the next day - kaput.

Left it with the shop for a couple of days to fiddle with the wires and still zilch. And as you say - when you need a new mech, you need a new mech or you don't ride your bike.

FYI: The sexiest chainset of all time is the rare and expensive 7800 series with carbon cranks. That and the cannondale SiSL2

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Dura-Ace-Fc-7800-C-Carbon-Crankset-172-5-53T-Dura-Ace-/353412237949

oh - thats rather tasty. very very very tasty.
  • MattFalle
    As an aside, if FA is questioning the dura ace cassette from a few weeks ago - it ended up costing me £57. Ultegra starts at 60 and is heavier and not as nicely made.

Seems an alright deal to me.

Am still well intrigued by these dura ace carbon cranks and chain rings he's going on about though.
  • MattFalle
    The FibreLytes are also cheaper, lighter, last as long and look a squillion times better than Ultegra chain rings.

Seems an alright deal as well if ypu're building a weightweenie climbing bike.
  • First.Aspect
    MattFalle said:

The FibreLytes are also cheaper, lighter, last as long and look a squillion times better than Ultegra chain rings.

Knock yourself out. If they were any good, you would see people using them. It seems inevitable to me that they will suffer from issues at the interface between the teeth and the carbon, in which case the best bet would be the aero ones.

TA Specialities make the best chain rings, imo, if you want durability.
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

Knock yourself out. If they were any good, you would see people using them. It seems inevitable to me that they will suffer from issues at the interface between the teeth and the carbon, in which case the best bet would be the aero ones.

cool - i will, thank you. loads of people do use them, so thats cool as well. Perhaps FibreLyte also had the same thought/feedback as you and sorted their design.

its going to be used once every couple of months, if that, so no need for max durability. but thank you for the recommendation re TA.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,560

My LBS had a set of those on display in the bling cabinet, which he flatly refused to sell at any price.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • First.Aspect
    MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

cool - i will, thank you. loads of people do use them, so thats cool as well. Perhaps FibreLyte also had the same thought/feedback as you and sorted their design.

its going to be used once every couple of months, if that, so no need for max durability. but thank you for the recommendation re TA.
    They will look nice, that's for sure. But if you think the fact you can buy them is any indication of engineering quality, you've not been paying attention to the bike industry for the past 50 years.

Personally I prefer the cobweb ones that KCNC do, if form over function is your thing.