Damaged paint or damaged frame?

Harrys91
Harrys91 Posts: 5
edited August 2021 in Workshop
Just got delivery of my new bike that I've been waiting months for. However it fell over in my flat and has damage, see attached image.

Is the dented frame a problem and is the circled area cracked paint or a cracked frame?

Comments

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    What's the frame made from? Alu?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Harrys91
    elbowloh said:

What's the frame made from? Alu?

Yeah.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Difficult to see those pics clearly. Presumably that's the top tube? Probably not a crack, but there appears to be a crease there, which is not a good sign.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,434
    as above, can't tell from the pics

if it's not deep/cracked, i'd guess you could ride it without issue for a long time, just check for any signs of crack developing, but there're no guarantees with the guess

have you checked if home insurance, credit card purchase protection etc. would cover it?

worst case, ask a repair company if wrapping the area with carbon fibre would be practical, shouldn't add much weight
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Harrys91

Difficult to see those pics clearly. Presumably that's the top tube? Probably not a crack, but there appears to be a crease there, which is not a good sign.

I sure hope you're right. Surprised it dented so easily. I appreciate its not designed to take impact on that edge of the top rail but I guess it goes to show how thin the material is. Can't have it all can you 😂
  • Harrys91
    sungod said:

if it's not deep/cracked, i'd guess you could ride it without issue for a long time, just check for any signs of crack developing, but there're no guarantees with the guess

have you checked if home insurance, credit card purchase protection etc. would cover it?

worst case, ask a repair company if wrapping the area with carbon fibre would be practical, shouldn't add much weight

I was thinking of a carbon wrap. I imagine that'd be costly though. Hard to see if it is a crack under the paint, and if it'll get worse. I guess just ride it and hope for the best.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Tubes of aluminium bikes can be incredibly thin sometimes to keep the weight down.

I recall reading on Weight Weenies that someone had an acorn fall onto the top tube of their CAAD 12 that caused a massive crater and the frame was a write off.
  • sungod

sungod said:

I was thinking of a carbon wrap. I imagine that'd be costly though. Hard to see if it is a crack under the paint, and if it'll get worse. I guess just ride it and hope for the best.
    might not be costly, bear in mind it hasn't failed, i'd think adding a strengthening layer to protect it should be straightforward

try contacting https://carbonbikerepair.co.uk/ they'll be able to give you an estimate
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    sorry - why are you thinking of putting a carbon wrap on?

that'll be like putting a plaster on a cut - undernwath its still stuffed, it just looks pretty on top.

what frame is it?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • elbowloh
    edited March 2021
    It's aluminium!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • MattFalle
    elbowloh said:

It's aluminium!

i know that E dude but what make?
  • sungod
    MattFalle said:

that'll be like putting a plaster on a cut - undernwath its still stuffed, it just looks pretty on top.

what frame is it?

if the dent is minor, ride it

otherwise the longterm choice is wrap it or scrap it...

a dented al section isn't cost effective to repair, reshaping hardened al is asking for trouble and welding would mean having to repeat heat treatment then repaint, may as well buy a new frame

cf wrap on al is simple, relatively cheap, it'll end up stronger than the original
  • MattFalle
    unless its a mega brilliant frame I'd get the area blasted, checked out by someone rather than posting some blurred pics on the internet then, if deemed safe, sort out the looks in a myriad of ways and ride it.

actually - no, i wouldn't and you know i wouldn't. I'd just ride it as is and keep an eye on it.

if its not a whizzy frame then just sell it and byy a new whizzy frame to replace.
  • elbowloh
    MattFalle said:

elbowloh said:

It's aluminium!

That wasn't aimed at you, but rather some of the comments about carbon repair.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • sungod
    elbowloh said:

It's aluminium!

elbowloh said:

MattFalle said:

elbowloh said:

It's aluminium!

That wasn't aimed at you, but rather some of the comments about carbon repair.
    why?

a cf wrap is a practical repair option for an al section, what others are there?
  • Harrys91
    MattFalle said:

what frame is it?

Specialized allez elite.