Do you watch tv?

- Genesis Croix de Fer
- Dolan Tuono

Comments

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,312
    I'm curious as to whether a right wing "news" channel is just the market providing what the (generally older, generally more conservative) audience of live TV wants.

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,717
    Your poll is flawed.
    I watch live sport. I mostly watch streaming. I occasionally watch Youtube.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,843
    There's no 'no' option. Or 'only DVDs' (if that counts as TV).
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    pangolin said:

I'm curious as to whether a right wing "news" channel is just the market providing what the (generally older, generally more conservative) audience of live TV wants.

it'll go down a storm and will be viewed by millions.

just look at the british general demographic - Tory govt, Brexit, condolence of the last budget, condolence of massive Govt corruption and incompetence re PPE and Track n Trace, the existence if the daily heil and the express.

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • pangolin
    pblakeney said:

Your poll is flawed.
    I watch live sport. I mostly watch streaming. I occasionally watch Youtube.

I agree. I tried to edit it but couldn't.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,450
    It's usually on in the background but increasingly Netflix / Disney + that my wife and daughter are watching while I'm reading or browsing the Internet.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    Same as Pross above, although things like MasterChef will make me leave the room. The MFs are dead right, GB News will be loved by millions, don't think I'll be one of them.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,902
    Live sport, occasionally Saturday kitchen but the rest of the time netflix.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,415
    MattFalle said:

pangolin said:

just look at the british general demographic - Tory govt, Brexit, condolence of the last budget, condolence of massive Govt corruption and incompetence re PPE and Track n Trace, the existence if the daily heil and the express.

The attention it's getting on here before it has even aired, from people who don't appear to like the idea is making me curious about the new channel.

All publicity is good publicity and all that. Keep it up Pango :smile:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,731
    I watch lots of sport but with cycling that on its own is a fair bit, and then a few quiz shows like Mastermind, University Challenge, news, the odd documentary and my other half watches a lot of detective/murder type dramas. Then I watch some stuff off Netflix too - the odd film or series but it's more my kids or wife watch a lot of that kind of stuff.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Stevo_666 said:

MattFalle said:

pangolin said:

The attention it's getting on here before it has even aired, from people who don't appear to like the idea is making me curious about the new channel.

Nobody launches a channel to lose money, they must think they have an audience.
    Wouldn't be the first time Cakestoppers found themselves out of step with the rest of the country would it?
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    I watch the odd programme, 3 or 4 a week perhaps.
    Missus watches any old sh1t.
  • pangolin
    edited March 2021

Stevo_666 said:

MattFalle said:

pangolin said:

Wouldn't be the first time Cakestoppers found themselves out of step with the rest of the country would it?
    I don't think anyone has suggested there isn't a market for it. In fact people on both sides have said the opposite.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    The missus and I watch lots of crap. Deceives stuff and quiz shows. She likes gardening stuff and things like the sowing bee. Quite a fan of Grayson Perry’s art club thing.
    I watch the sport on my iPad.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

Stevo_666 said:

MattFalle said:

pangolin said:

For fear of sounding like a snob, this statement doesn’t really mean much.

I don’t really like football which puts me out of step with the majority view of the rest of the country. It doesn’t really mean much or change the arguments if we are out of step.

I don’t watch soaps or reality TV either. Doesn’t mean I can’t lament their place on TV schedules.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    If the question is "do you watch scheduled programming", the answer is almost exclusively "no", except for live sport and the odd major news item. Otherwise, why would you? I'm looking forward to "Line of Duty" coming back*, but I'll watch it when it suits me.

*Unless it's as rotten as the last series, the whole "H" thing is ridiculous.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,208
    morstar said:

Stevo_666 said:

MattFalle said:

pangolin said:

For fear of sounding like a snob, this statement doesn’t really mean much.

I don’t really like football which puts me out of step with the majority view of the rest of the country. It doesn’t really mean much or change the arguments if we are out of step.

I don’t watch soaps or reality TV either. Doesn’t mean I can’t lament their place on TV schedules.
    Most people don't know much about football. A majority of people do not watch any football at all, and pick up a small amount of knowledge by osmosis.

The minority that do watch is a lot of people though, and is much more than any other sport, which explains the blanket coverage.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098

Stevo_666 said:

MattFalle said:

pangolin said:

There's a couple of regulars on here who will be exactly within their target audience.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    secretsam said:

Stevo_666 said:

MattFalle said:

pangolin said:

There's a couple of regulars on here who will be exactly within their target audience.

Let's pretend that those regulars make up 2% of the catestop universe. Most channels would be very pleased with 2% of the population watching them
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    It’s a pity tv is going down hill, Saturday night tv has to be the worst
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    Streaming services and live sport for me and that tends to be at weekends only, during the week I have the radio on or do some reading. In fact the TV aerial feed hasn't worked for a few years now after a storm and I've not felt inclined to do anything about it.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,208
    Watch quite a lot on Iplayer or recorded, but nothing as it's being broadcast except sport. Why would I watch an advert if I don't have to?