2021 races and COVID

124»

Comments

• gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,550
    Lovely. Will seek out the usual suspects
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • We are live!
    82kms to go. Kirby and Smith doing the UK commentary.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,550
    edited January 2021
    LOL at the ‘he has hit the KFC bucket’ commentary
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • A pity about the helicopter shots being stuck in blurry monochrome.

The boys are excited to be back which is having the usual effect on our Carlton
  • Valencianna's loss may be Etoile's gain if L'Equipe has it right.
    With Covid causing calendar disruption, top riders are forced to adapt their schedules.
    As a result, they report that Egan Bernal will be joining Geraint Thomas and Michal Kwiatkowski at the French race.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Lads this is top quality content.
  • Lads this is top quality content.

I'm being thick - is this his bogey hill or something?
  • rick_chasey

Lads this is top quality content.

I'm being thick - is this his bogey hill or something?
    Yes
  • The Sagan's win the world booby prize.

• sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    They arent the first pros to get it and wont be the last. Least it's in pre season although looks like they will lose 10 valuable days training
  • sherer said:

They arent the first pros to get it and wont be the last. Least it's in pre season although looks like they will lose 10 valuable days training

I'm sure Sagan can afford a Turbo trainer. Whether he's got one out in G Canaria is a different matter.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Giro wildcards

Alpecin-Fenix (BEL)
    BARDIANI CSF FAIZANE’ (ITA)
    EOLO-KOMETA CYCLING TEAM (ITA)
    VINI ZABU’ (ITA)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    Is vdP riding the Giro then?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137

Is vdP riding the Giro then?

Unlikely. Alpecin were the highest ranked Pro Conti team so get automatic invites to all WT races. It's a dumb rule, I know
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    The big race for MvdP next year is the Olympics XCO / Nolympics XCnO .

I wouldn't expect anything concrete from him until we find out what's happening with that
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • UAE on the red list for the bad boy variant.Anyone else got any restrictions that might have any impact on the UAE tour?
  • Case numbers rising in France and Italy. If Paris Roubaix is cancelled again I might cry
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    edited March 2021
    Oh dear, not so much the Amstel Gold Race as the Amstel Grand Prix.

After being first postponed and then cancelled in 2020 because of the coronavirus pandemic, the Amstel Gold Race men's and women's WorldTour events will go on as planned on April 18 but on a 17-kilometre circuit that will be closed to the public, the race organisers announced on Monday.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/amstel-gold-race-to-go-ahead-on-closed-circuit/

Whole race coverage?
    You have got to be kidding me.
  • ddraver
    Yeah well...

Sucks, but if it's the worst that happens this season I'll be happy with it.

For lolz they should make finally Fleche Wallone just once up the Cauberg. Red Bull Hill Chasers style...
    - @ddraver
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    edited March 2021
    ddraver said:

Yeah well...

Sucks, but if it's the worst that happens this season I'll be happy with it.

For lolz they should make finally Fleche Wallone just once up the Cauberg. Red Bull Hill Chasers style...

Think the locals in Belgium will be peeved if they hold the Fleche in the Netherlands ;-)
  • ddraver
    Getting my Muurs mixed up.

They could do both on the same day...
    - @ddraver
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    Schools and shops are closing in areas of Northern Italy from Monday, including Milan.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    gsk82 said:

Schools and shops are closing in areas of Northern Italy from Monday, including Milan.

Sounds like Italy is repeating 2020.
    Let's just hope we don't.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    pblakeney said:

gsk82 said:

Sounds like Italy is repeating 2020.
    Let's just hope we don't.
    They had their big second spike last October. Things had been in a slow steady decline, but just recently that trend has been in reverse.
    Think they are trying early to head off a third.

Bit of a contrast to France who have seen a constant flow of cases since November, but are starting to lift restrictions, despite being bottom of the vaccination league.
  • Most stakeholders seem confident that races can go ahead because of cycling's bubble model.

Unlikely there will be many fans at events before the Giro, if not later, though