Bike Lock Recommendations

HELLO!

Looking for a bike lock, too many to choose from!

Need something that will protect my Kraken, any advice would be amazing.

Thanks!

Comments

• mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    If you leave your bike somewhere that needs a lock then one day your bike won't be there.

For insurance purposes anything with a gold secure rating is pretty good. It will withstand attack for around 5 minutes.
  • mully79 said:

If you leave your bike somewhere that needs a lock then one day your bike won't be there.

For insurance purposes anything with a gold secure rating is pretty good. It will withstand attack for around 5 minutes.

I'd say I wouldn't leave it anywhere, for a long period of time anyway.

In the future it will b in a bike shed, so I need something secure.. obviously anything can get cut with a angle grinder.

Any recommendationa tho
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    edited March 2021
    As Mully said, make sure it's gold rated so that if the bike is stolen then the insurance company will pay out.

Otherwise get the lock that suits your budget and circumstances the best.
  • abishek_l
    abishek_l Posts: 45
    Used Onguard for my bike after hearing good things about it. Heavy to carry around but well made.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    Get as small a lock as will do the job. It obviously needs to be big enough to go through the frame and lock it to something, but you want the least amount of excess possible. A big space makes it easier to get tools in there. Hope that makes sense.
    A D lock to lock the frame and possibly one wheel plus a good cable for the other wheel. Two locks are better than a cable with loops going through the D as there are two things that need cutting.
    Look for a D lock that has a mechanism on both sides like Abus do, they would need to be cut twice. Many others only lock on one side with a hook on the other. One cut and it can be removed.
    Plus gold ratings as mentioned above. Main thing is to make it harder to take than any other bikes around.
  • so8
    so8 Posts: 1
    edited March 2021
    I've ended up with about 8-10 locks for 3 bikes and can never decide which to use !

FWIW I have a decent big D lock which was from my old scooter ... an Abus Extreme 59 - this, or a Kryptonite M18 .... and a chain lock from Pragmasis 11mm or 13mm if I am feeling strong. If they can get past these two they can have it ! I hope the fact they are two decent locks will make them. walk past. The locks and chains are heavy but that is necessary to protect it. Sad we have to this like this but that is life :(
  • wisepatrick09rl3KxQh1
    edited June 2021
    I think the ABUS Granite X Plus 540 is a great option. I saw a lot of people using them too, so I decided to buy one. I feel it's very safe when using this u-lock. The size is just enough to get it around the rear tire of my bike to the seat post and secure it in a bike rack.
  • daltonbourne07jrS36RCG
    edited July 2021
    Locking your bike in a bike rack is easy, but it is still possible to lock a bike without a bike rack: You can detach the front wheel and tie it along with the rear wheel, put the two wheels together to deter thieves from stealing them. Another option is taking the chain off the rear gears or have the choice to remove the quick-release off the front wheel. A good way to make your bike more unrideable is by taking the front off of the frame,... These can essentially reduce the risk of your bike being stolen.
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    oxoman said:

Decent gold secure lock and knowing how to use it properly. Surprising how many people just lock the frame or just a wheel to a rack. Needs to cover minimum a wheel and frame and whatever your locking to. Mate has a couple of locks to do back and front wheels and frame, he also has a quick release clamp for his saddle and takes it off when leaving it. His bike also looks rough and cheap which it isn't. He reckons on average the public racks he uses lose a couple of bikes a week and always the decent easy to sell one's.

Many moons ago when I was a uni student, I locked my bike (properly) to one of those upside-down U posts that was near the universitys rowing club.... After my trainin session I came back to find the U post was removed from the ground, laying flat on the floor and no bike or lock to be seen!!!

Since that time, every time I lock my bike up to a U post, I make sure to check the U Post is itself secure!!!