Halfords free money

david37
david37 Posts: 1,313
Well as a slap in the face for those small independents, Halfords home of the clueless mechanic and low end crud are offering £50 off vouchers paid for by you on their website.

I believe this is an absolutely cruel waste of money that discriminates against LBS with skilled mechanics. epic fail

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-maintenance/fix-your-bike-scheme-439790.html

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Doesn't seem so to me.

Just a way to manage bookings. You still need to get your voucher the normal way.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    No worse or better than any mechanics found in other bike shops.

and yeah, I'd have a Boardman from Halfords over an over priced Spesh from some shop who pretends they ate friends with you.

Come on D, you know better than what you posted......
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    Is it just Halfords? I guessed it was the government scheme back as I had a similar email from Evans as well. I'd rather have a bit of cash as I'll be doing any work myself, sorry Mr 37.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    You still need to enter your voucher code which you've applied for through the normal channels.

Nothing really to see here except large multinational looking to manage bookings so they don't get overrun, deliver poor service, get poor reviews.
  • david37
    well maybe im not being kind to the likes of Halfords and Evans. I would p[ersonally have preferred to see this kind of scheme done in such a way that the smaller businesss could make more of it.

This scheme definitely favours the much larger organisations at the expense of the smaller ones. £50 doesn't get much of a service at Evans and they'll sell product at massive margins on top.

• ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    david37 said:

well maybe im not being kind to the likes of Halfords and Evans. I would p[ersonally have preferred to see this kind of scheme done in such a way that the smaller businesss could make more of it.

This scheme definitely favours the much larger organisations at the expense of the smaller ones. £50 doesn't get much of a service at Evans and they'll sell product at massive margins on top.

How does the scheme favour larger organisations?

My local mechanic who is a 1 man band & really knows his stuff will accept vouchers for servicing so I can’t see how he’s being penalised.
  • david37
    ibr17xvii said:

david37 said:

My local mechanic who is a 1 man band & really knows his stuff will accept vouchers for servicing so I can’t see how he’s being penalised.
    What is the cost of administrating this kind of web implementation? How well does your one man band do with buying product compared to the buying power of Halfords? What is the administrative overhead of the scheme? how long does it take to get paid?

• ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    edited March 2021
    david37 said:

ibr17xvii said:

david37 said:

What is the cost of administrating this kind of web implementation? How well does your one man band do with buying product compared to the buying power of Halfords? What is the administrative overhead of the scheme? how long does it take to get paid?

No idea.

I don’t get what your driving at if I’m honest.

At the end of the day the scheme is designed to get more people on bikes & surely that’s a good thing?
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    david37 said:

Evans price matches, the one in the Wharf even used his own computer to check popular sites for you.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    MattFalle said:

No worse or better than any mechanics found in other bike shops.

and yeah, I'd have a Boardman from Halfords over an over priced Spesh from some shop who pretends they ate friends with you.

Come on D, you know better than what you posted......

Oh no, I bought a (reduced) Spesh from Sigma who were really nice.
    What a gullible fool.

It's just a hill. Get over it.