New Bike Build (never done before!)

So decided after much deliberation about potentially buying a completely built new bike, to throw myself in at the deep end and do it myself just for the satisfaction of doing it myself.

Never done more than limited tinkering but hey, what could go wrong?

I don't have endless amounts of cash, but I figure my plan is to base it on the following:

Steel frame, as I already own carbon and fancy something with old school stability, and look. At the moment a condor frame is in my thinking open to other suggestions.

Campagnolo groupset, rim brakes only

Decent mid depth rims, like farsports, prime, or if budget will stretch handbuilts from Malcolm or similar

Try to keep weight under 9kg

So, basically gonna start out by asking where is good to view videos to learn from, or any other advice (other than buying fully built and don't bother!)

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Oh, and looking to buy framset and wheels from new, groupset (mechanical) possibly second hand. (Not sure if that makes sense)
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    edited March 2021
    What size frame? Buy one of these if your size is available. I’ve just built up a 55 with 105 and it looks and rides lovely. Easily under 9kg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Am-1-64KG-CLR6200-Reynolds-Materials/dp/B07HHT1CG1
  • bobones
    Lots of good instruction on youtube. You’ll need a workstand and a good selection of tools: hex keys, wire cutters, grease, copperslip etc. You might not need fancy bearing presses if the headset is the drop in type and the BB is threaded, but you might need to buy some tools you don’t already have to install BB bearings. Cables and bar tape are probably the most time consuming parts.
  • Ha! Cheers Bobones, it was viewing your post on yours that got my thinking this. Yours looks absolutely mint!

I checked that frame but I reckon a 53 (the biggest they have left) might be too small for me at 5'10 to 11 as I normally go for a 54 and that's pushing it. However, I have short legs, long body so maybe a long stem might work...

I've got most of the tools I think I need from messing about with my current bikes, so I'll check out the vids on YouTube to see what else might be required.

How tall are you for the 55 frame?
  • bobones
    I’m about 5’11-6’ with long legs and short body. I usually ride 54-56 bikes so 55 is about right for me. If you’ve got short legs the 53 might be ok with a long stem, but the short head tube will make it a very racy fit.

Definitely give the building a go. It’s not at all difficult if you take your time and watch a few how-to videos.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    building bikes is ridiculously simple and anyone who says different is lying.

watch the vids but don't get sucked up by them - remember the dudes doing them are trying to make themselves look pro when this isn't a tricky thing.

on my first build i popped the forks in, wheels on and stood it next to a complete bike - if you get stuck just look across and see how its done on that.

tbh, you can't go wrong - seat post clamp goes on, seat post goes in.

Rear mech can only bolt in one place.

front mech can only go in one place.

stem is two bolts, handlebars just pop onto stem.

b/b threads double check direction.

moly grease from motor factor for things that move, coppoper slip for things that don't, carbon paste on seat post and bars if they are carbon.

Ritchey torque key everything.

only tricky bit is chain sizing but even that isn't that bad. if you are using the same gearing as the exhibit bike just cut it the same length as that one.

any problems, post on here
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Cheers guys, really appreciate the advice, gonna take the plunge over the next few days, already found a frame, groupset and decided on wheels, so hopefully will be making a start soon in time to be ready in a few weeks!
  • MattFalle
    sweeeet! remember to post piccies here.
  • alwaystimetotorque
    alwaystimetotorque Posts: 226
    edited March 2021
    What's your budget?

Campagnolo online video tech manuals are very good as are park tools so worth a look at both especially if you're going for Campaganolo groupset.
    Avoid power torque chainsets unless you're planning on buying the required crank/bearing puller. Ultra torque is much better for maintenance although a bearing puller is still required for replacing bearings.

Building up your own bike is great fun and gives you the skills (and usually means you buy the tools) to tinker away on anything and everything.
  • Thanks again, for further advice!

I was figuring somewhere around 2.5k but can go up a bit.

I fancied a steel frame set, so far all I have really found is a condor fratello, rim version. Was thinking of getting campagnolo potenza in silver, and then other bits like bars, stem etc in silver to match. Brown saddle and bar tape so it all looks a bit retro but throw on some 50mm wheels the Malcolm has recommended.

If anyone has any other frameset suggestions I'd be glad to hear them!
  • MattFalle
    Depending on size you need the same as the dude in the Rims Brake thread that everyone is drooling over and spend the difference on upgrading the groupset.
  • MattFalle said:

Depending on size you need the same as the dude in the Rims Brake thread that everyone is drooling over and spend the difference on upgrading the groupset.

Thats what got me started MF, that ride is schweeeet. However, the only size left is a 53 and at around 5'10" to 5'11" it might be a bit of a squeeze (although I had considered a longer stem, much like my Mrs does often)
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Maybe worth looking out for second hand Holdsworth Competitions.

BTW, this would fit you nicely although not a frameset but a near complete build:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Holdsworth-Competition-Planet-X-Modern-Day-Steel-Frame/274712340257?hash=item3ff621a721:g:ZWUAAOSwE1pgBGbH
  • Cheers Joe, definitely worth a consideration!
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    Dont buy a frame and make it fit, it’s a recipe for pain and dissatisfaction
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Buy the 55 direct from China
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    OP, I have just built my first bike from scratch, yes a bit of trepidation and a new BB tool later it's done and I am as happy as Larry with it (whoever Larry is)

• Buy the 55 direct from China

It's a possibility, but I worry that I would order the wrong thing, and returning it would be pretty impossible. At least with a UK supply I feel a bit more comfortable.
  • I've pretty much decided in this:

Going with silver headset and seat clamp, silver campag potenza, silver zipp course finishing kit, brown saddle and bar tape, and either campag bora hoops (for £800 second hand) a set of malcoms 50s brand new, or prime black edition 50s.

Hopefully should have a bit of an old school look when it's done. Sure I'll need some more help along the way!
  • MattFalle
    Looks sweet but brown and silver bits with black forks and black deep rims will look a mish mash.

black everything to make the frame pop out and tan walls.
  • Hmmm. Could be right.

More choice in black too...
  • MattFalle
    Trust Aesthetic MF - he's pretty good at this stuff.
  • Can't find potenza in black though.

May have to step up to chorus instead. Shame....

From what I can tell potenza is in the way out so Chorus might be best anyway....
  • MattFalle

Can't find potenza in black though.

May have to step up to chorus instead. Shame....

From what I can tell potenza is in the way out so Chorus might be best anyway....

Chorus. Please.

Its flippin' gorgeous and works perfect in every way.

You need to keep us updated re this - it has sooo much potential.
  • Now trying to find Chorus for under a grand. Seems everyone has sold out, other than Slane who are just over £1k.

Also, quick question, front derailleur on the Condor is band-on rather than braze, this won't be an issue with the Chorus with an adapter?
  • MattFalle
    Do Slane do BC discount? If so that may push it under.

Totes alts, I think Merlin has 80% of it in stock, so some from there, some from elsewhere?

Mech will work fine.

Do it do it do it do it now.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Now trying to find Chorus for under a grand. Seems everyone has sold out, other than Slane who are just over £1k.

Also, quick question, front derailleur on the Condor is band-on rather than braze, this won't be an issue with the Chorus with an adapter?

Now trying to find Chorus for under a grand. Seems everyone has sold out, other than Slane who are just over £1k.

Got Chorus 12 from Merlin end of last year for about £800
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Cheers for the heads up on merlin, they do seem to have everything other than the cassette so might go that route.
  • MattFalle
    High on Bikes have cassettes and were really good to deal with a few weeks ago when I bought a Dura Ace cassette from them.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    bobones said:

What size frame? Buy one of these if your size is available. I’ve just built up a 55 with 105 and it looks and rides lovely. Easily under 9kg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Am-1-64KG-CLR6200-Reynolds-Materials/dp/B07HHT1CG1

That frame and fork weight is over 2kg i.e. porky what did you build it up with to keep it under 9kg?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.