A bit of time on my hands

Given our current situation I've decided to finally rebuild the frame in the garage as a single speed.

I think I know what I need but I'm not sure of what I need in terms of actual kit. Anyone with any suggestions?

Needed:
1. A 'narrow wide' chain ring. Has to be five arm to fit on to my existing Shimano 105 gear. From what I've read it should be around 44 tooth. But, what brand, words etc. do I actually need to search for?
2. Will I need some new, shorter bolts to attach it to the crank now there isn't two rings? Where do I get those from?!
3. A chain tensioner. Erm...seems to be a variety of these out and about. Any suggestions?
4. A rear cog and some spacers (as I don't have a single speed wheel). About 16 tooth maybe?

Anything else that I've forgotten? I'll post pictures pre and post build!

Cheers

James
Giant Defy Advanced 0 - Best
Planet X London Road - Wet
Montague Fit - Foldy thing that rarely gets used these days

Comments

• Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,559
    Might struggle to find narrow wide rings to suit 130 BCD Shimano cranks, if that’s what yours are. I think that’s mainly an MTB and ‘cross thing. With a chain tensioner you may not need it anyway.

Yes you will need shorter chainring bolts. Any LBS should have them (if still open). CRC and the like sell them, just not always easy to figure out which are which!

You can get singlespeed kits with the tensioner and spacers needed, plus a cog all in one pack. Usually listed under category “chain tensioners”. Lots of options, but some simpler than others. Surly did a good one, which could run either over or under the chain, with a sprung arm instead of fixed like the DMR one for example.

I ran a Wheels Manufacturing spacer kit and Surly Singleator on my SS converted roadie just fine.

Beware of sprinting. 😀
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    You don't need a narrow-wide ring for singlespeed, they're to keep the chain on when there's some lateral force due to changing gear. As long as you set it up with a straight chain line, you can use a standard singlespeed/track chainring.
  • j_mcd
    j_mcd Posts: 473

Well, it took a year but finally...
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    Excellent! A unique ride! Do you use its folding ability?
  • j_mcd
    j_mcd Posts: 473
    Not in ages. Montagues tend to seize up around the pivot joint and I can't figure out how to take it all to bits to sort it out.

It will fold but it's hard work.