Recommendations for a reasonably-priced smart trainer

Hi all

I’ve been using an Elite Volare magnetic turbo trainer for about 10 years now. It’s finally succumbed to my power (weight) and beginning to damage my bike as it keeps slipping out.

So, I’m in the market for a new turbo trainer and it feels like I should join the world of smart training. However, whilst I have switched my old training DVDs for Zwift, I’ve never really needed to pay much attention to turbo trainer tech.

Does anyone have anything they would recommend?

I’m currently looking at the Wahoo KIKR as I’m keen not to buy anything rubbish. However £700 feels like a lot to spend for the usage I’d make of it.

Comments

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,502
    It's supply and demand, so there's not many deals about on turbos - however, there are other "good" options for less than £700.

I had an elite direct drive unit (not a current model) and had no issues with it.
    You can currently get an elite Zumo or Tacx Flux S for about £530 - £550.
  • I have a Tacx Bushido smart turbo for sale on the bay. £350 one careful owner. PM me if interested.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    I bought a Diretto a couple of months ago as I couldn't find anythibg else so wasn't sure but tbh its been mega - plugged right into Zwift without having anything, really simple to build up out of the box (3 bolts), silent, really nice to ride on, looks good.

Can't be faulted and cheaper than a KickR
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.