Real crack, yay/nay?

2»

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,623

dj58 said:

It's a Giant and your wife is the original purchaser, so making a warranty claim should be straightforward. The potential problem will be dependent on the person/s in the LBS doing the inspection/assesment and their level of competance/expertise. Or are they going to send it to Giant UK? Then as you say do Giant UK have any service frames in stock.

The other person in the shop was happy to proceed with photos only... they have now submitted a warranty claim... let's see what happens. It should be straightforward, they must see cracks day in day out.
    More to the point, the failure modes on these frames will be well known. You won't be the only ones.
    The interesting thing is that carbon frames of the 1990s were pretty much bulletproof... the C40, those Specialized and Trek frames are for the most still around
    They also weighed twice as much.
    They did, but they were still lighter than steel frames.
    There needs to be a sweet spot somewhere... maybe 1 kg for a M frame is light enough and robust enough
    Get a titanium frame if that's your target.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,240

dj58 said:

It's a Giant and your wife is the original purchaser, so making a warranty claim should be straightforward. The potential problem will be dependent on the person/s in the LBS doing the inspection/assesment and their level of competance/expertise. Or are they going to send it to Giant UK? Then as you say do Giant UK have any service frames in stock.

The other person in the shop was happy to proceed with photos only... they have now submitted a warranty claim... let's see what happens. It should be straightforward, they must see cracks day in day out.
    More to the point, the failure modes on these frames will be well known. You won't be the only ones.
    The interesting thing is that carbon frames of the 1990s were pretty much bulletproof... the C40, those Specialized and Trek frames are for the most still around
    There needs to be a sweet spot somewhere... maybe 1 kg for a M frame is light enough and robust enough
    Litespeed use to make good ones, but other brands just make lumps... they're all in the 1.5 kg plus range. For example, a Van Nicholas Astraeus in 54 weighs 1.77 kg and it's wayyyyy beyond my budget
    left the forum March 2023
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,623

dj58 said:

Litespeed use to make good ones, but other brands just make lumps... they're all in the 1.5 kg plus range. For example, a Van Nicholas Astraeus in 54 weighs 1.77 kg and it's wayyyyy beyond my budget
    Tbh 1300 is about par.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

It’s better than what it’s replacing, Ugo.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • ugo.santalucia
    Ben6899 said:

It’s better than what it’s replacing, Ugo.
    It's not necessarily going to replace that one, but yes, I totally agree.

I decided to buy a spare frame, which is a size in between mine and my wife's, so it can serve us both as an emergency fix... last thing I want is having to spend 2 grand to avoid staying without a bike for prolonged time.
    If everything goes well with the warranty claim, I might turn it into a winter bike for myself, I have most components already... that would also prolong the life of the Dual by quite some margin.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Frame replaced under warranty... there is a bit of a wait to get the bike rebuilt and I can't do it myself for obvious reasons... in the meantime she can ride the bike on the turbo, the crack hasn't grown since...
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958

Frame replaced under warranty... there is a bit of a wait to get the bike rebuilt and I can't do it myself for obvious reasons... in the meantime she can ride the bike on the turbo, the crack hasn't grown since...

Good result. Glad you've got it sorted.
  • ugo.santalucia
    redvision said:

Good result. Glad you've got it sorted.
    It was straightforward, after the first odd phone conversation...
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,734
    Good to see decent customer service.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]