Shimano 105 shifter problem

Hi, wondering if anyone can help me?

I have shimano 105 shifters on my 2 year old road bike. I've been having a problem with the left shifter. When I'm in the big front cog and shift down, the shifter works fine but when I try to change back up, the change occurs no problem but the down shift lever and little metal down shift trigger don't spring back inline and so I have to push them in manually to enable the next shift into the smaller cog.
ive attached a couple of photos as my explanation probably isn't very good.
the image show what it looks like after I've change up from the small front cog to the large.

any help would be massively appreciated :-)

Comments

• rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    It’s broken, and probably not mendable. Buy a replacement.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    what fletcher said unless there's something stopping it moving properly. If there is I'd hazard a guess at the bar tape
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    I'd have a go at working it back and forth whilst squirting some spray lube in the workings in the faint hope that it might save it. Probably won't but you've got nothing to lose
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Even if you do have to flick it back in with your hand, its no biggie - I have a Rival shifter that does that and its no inconvenience at all tbh.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    MattFalle said:

Even if you do have to flick it back in with your hand, its no biggie - I have a Rival shifter that does that and its no inconvenience at all tbh.

SRAM is rubbish. you should swap it for ultegra
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    Had a similar issue with a right handed shifter if you look under the shifter there should be a small plastic part which can fall off.
    This is the right hand side one Shimano Dura-Ace ST-9000 Main Lever Support - Right - Y63X80000
  • edward.s
    edward.s Posts: 219
    Disconnect the cable and inner and clear the cable route of any debris then test the lever. If it works then it was just cable friction preventing it returning. I've seen this a bit with the polymer coated inner cables where the coating wears off and blocks things up. I've gone back to normal stainless cables now, the coating is more trouble than its worth.

Also check the hood isn't preventing the lever move.

if it still doesn't work then a good clean and flush with IPA or carb cleaner and re-grease might work. Some shifters can be partially disassembled to aid this - I'd recommend looking at the exploded diagram on the Shimano site.
  • nibnob21
    nibnob21 Posts: 207
    Happened on one of mine a year or two ago after a few years of use. Small lever went floppy and wouldn't 'spring' back. Surprised it's happened to your chainring shifter and not rear, as that sees a lot more use.

Broken and unrepairable as Shimano don't sell the internal bits and bobs separately so I ended up having to buy a new shifter. Think it's a common(ish) problem with them that they can fail after a few years.