Gone tubeless - Do I need plugs?

Hi all,

As a recent convert to tubeless, am trying to organise my bag.

Normally, I carry
2 tubes
2 CO2
2 patches
1 boot
1 mulitool (with levers)
1 CO2 adapter
1 spare link
These just about fit in my saddle bag.

Is it worth swapping out a tube for a plug kit?

Cheers

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    Yes
  • jlloyd
    jlloyd Posts: 131
    Cheers - any recommendations on which kit to get?

Good shout on the levers - I snapped one trying to get them on in the first place. I've got a Topeak Hexus mulitool with intergrated levers, which are fine or regular tyres, but got me wondering if they are robust enough for tubeless.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,689
    Take a look on Malcolm OTP's website https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/

He has loads of useful info and links to detail from others e.g. sealant manufacturers
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,498
    I had tubeless for a year or two and used to carry a tube, but TBH I think a roadside tube fit will be a nigh-on impossible task. Getting the valve out can be very hard and then refitting a tubeless tyre using levers over a tube without wrecking the tube will be a real challenge.

So if the sealant isn't enough, then worms/plugs seem to be the way to go. If you get something catastrophic that these can't fix then you're into "phone a friend" territory I think.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    singleton said:

I had tubeless for a year or two and used to carry a tube, but TBH I think a roadside tube fit will be a nigh-on impossible task. Getting the valve out can be very hard and then refitting a tubeless tyre using levers over a tube without wrecking the tube will be a real challenge.

So if the sealant isn't enough, then worms/plugs seem to be the way to go. If you get something catastrophic that these can't fix then you're into "phone a friend" territory I think.

As usual it depend on the tyre. You've got no chance of getting a tube in there with a GP5000 but a Gravelking or Hutchinson Fusion 5 is no tighter than a regular clincher tyre and I've popped tubes in them in the past.

To the OP, yep, I'd replace a tube with a repair kit, once you get used to using them it's a quicker repair than changing a tube.
    I'd recommend a Dynaplug if money is no object, the Wiggle Lifeline kit is also very good and a much cheaper alternative.

• jlloyd
    jlloyd Posts: 131
    Cheers all.

That dynaplug looks a lovely bit of kit, but will prob go lifeline.

Also gonna get some tougher levers.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    (i still just take a tube, levers, CO2 to be honest....)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Keep the tube as well, you might need it, tubeless set up or not.
  • jlloyd said:

Cheers all.

That dynaplug looks a lovely bit of kit, but will prob go lifeline.

Also gonna get some tougher levers.

The lifeline tubeless kit is brilliant.
  • I have run road tubeless for a few years now [schwalbe g one speed] i used to carry two inner tubes, 2 types of levers, a multitool and a patch kit with a frame pump! However the zip of my Topeak wedge seized up through lack of use,
    I now carry a Stans DART with a magic link inside and my multitool in my jacket pocket (always the right hand one for some reason) Used the dart once for a sidewall puncture everything else has self sealed though I do put about 60ml of stans fluid in each tyre.
  • rwoofer
    rwoofer Posts: 222
    I carry some worms and a 60ml bottle of sealant instead of tubes. Tubeless are so tight on my wheels I just don't reckon I could get a tube in on the roadside.

MTBs are completely different as the pressures are lower and therefore they are a looser fit, so I carry extra sealant and an inner tube.
  • rwoofer
    rwoofer Posts: 222
    Just read the page highlighted above

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/pages/tech-page

Wish I had read that when first going tubeless as it basically endorses how I have chosen to go. Tubeless tyre are meant to be tight and getting a tube in will be difficult. Well worth a read for those that haven't.
  • In nearly 5 years of using road tubeless I've never had to take the tyre off at the roadside. Worms or Stan's Dart is really all you need. I don't bother taking tubes with me anymore.