Anyone Used Bike-discount.de?

Proutster
Proutster Posts: 785
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Wondered if anyone had bought anything from these guys?

I've done a search and found reference to them a few times but nobody saying if they've used them or not.

I'm asking because I've just priced up an SLX drivetrain (bouble & bash crankset, double front mech, GS rear mech, cassette & shifters) for about £70 cheaper (using €1.10/£ & including postage) than from UK websites. Total cost with these guys is £220ish vs. £290ish from UK sites.

Opinions please....

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Do a forum search there have been a few people raving about savings on German sites over the past month
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    I've never had any problems with them
  • Proutster
    cooldad wrote:
    Do a forum search there have been a few people raving about savings on German sites over the past month

As in my post, I did a search on the forum and yes, found people talking about savings but no one that would "vouch" for them - hence the question.
    schweiz wrote:
    I've never had any problems with them

Thanks - that was what I was after.
  • They are pretty good. Have been using them for a long time now (with deliveries to UK and Denmark after moving) and never encountered any problems. Always fast and usually cheaper than other sites.
  • Proutster
    grandbleu wrote:
    They are pretty good. Have been using them for a long time now (with deliveries to UK and Denmark after moving) and never encountered any problems. Always fast and usually cheaper than other sites.

Thanks, I think I'll take the plunge and go for it - will post up my findings later.
  • Proutster
    anjs wrote:

Thanks - Not what I'm looking for as I want a 2x9 + bash set-up but they're even cheaper on the component costs for what I want (total cost is now down to £210ish @ €1.10/£), so will probably go with them and wait and see.

Unfortunately they don't do a 2x9 groupset offer, pity as (from the above) that would probably be even cheaper than buying the components.
  • anjs
    anjs Posts: 486
    It is also worth looking at rosebikes.co.uk although the dont have the 2 ring +bash chainset
  • thecremeegg
    thecremeegg Posts: 284
    Ordered an SLX crankset last week, arrived fine so yea I'd recommend them
  • hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    anjs wrote:

Yup - can recommend here also (albiet not what your after) 10sp SLX groupset for £170ish - arrived within 3 days
  • Proutster
    Just took the plunge and ordered the SLX stuff from bike-discount.de. As I was ordering I spotted that they do a price match on some products, so on 2 out of the 3 items where actionsports.de was cheaper, they've matched the price.

So the whole lot has cost (incl P&P) €227.64 - not sure what XR my bank will give, but assuming they give €1.10/£, + the £1 for foreign transactions (Lloyds TSB - robbing B*stards :evil: ), it should work out at £208 all in. Saving £81 odd over UK web prices - that's the same as getting the shifters & cassette for free!! Obviously it's only a saving if it all arrives :)

Now to see how long it takes to arrive - will post up to let everyone know when it arrives.

Then it's time to fit it all to the Trance and to transfer the old stuff to the Ex[alt] new build.
  • bank XR are different at times to the real XR listed on internet.

i think also if you use credit card they also add tax and custom exsport charges sometimes, so allways check when ordering if so.

useally debit card is best for oversea buys so you dont get all those extra costs.

let us know though how the price comes out and the goods turn up:)
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • manxshred
    manxshred Posts: 295
    I tried them, they couldn't get the components in as the suppier were out of stock and they refunded when I requested a refund. No goods, but good service none the less.
  • Proutster
    bank XR are different at times to the real XR listed on internet.

i think also if you use credit card they also add tax and custom exsport charges sometimes, so allways check when ordering if so.

useally debit card is best for oversea buys so you dont get all those extra costs.

let us know though how the price comes out and the goods turn up:)

Agree about XR's - that's why I assumed €1.10/£ when today's headline rate is €1.135/£, also used my debit card :)

Let's see....
  • Proutster
    ManxShred wrote:
    I tried them, they couldn't get the components in as the suppier were out of stock and they refunded when I requested a refund. No goods, but good service none the less.

It'll be interesting to see then - because their site said that all of the bits were in stock!!
  • markp2
    markp2 Posts: 162
    I have used bike24.de and bike-componants.de a number of times. Takes 3-5 days to get your bits, but they are quite a bit cheaper.
    Genesis Croix de Fer - my new commuting mount
    Saracen Hytrail - the workhorse - now pensioned off
    Kinetic-One FK1 roadie - the fast one - hairy legs though!
    Cannondale Jekyll Lefty MTB - the muddy one which keeps tipping me into gorse bushes!
  • Proutster
    It all seems to be going OK with bike-discount.de so far, DHL tracking says the stuff got to Koln airport last night - so it'll hopefully arrive with me tomorrow or Monday :lol:
  • dan1502
    dan1502 Posts: 568
    Retailer is fine. Regarding exchange rates, it is possible to get the mastercard and visa exchange rates online. The problem is that most card charge about 2.75% (some are less) and some use their own exchange rate which can be as much difference as the charge. I complained to Tesco Mastercard as their T&Cs were clear about the charge but not about the underlying excahnge rate. Their response was basically that they didn't give a **** but they did compensate me as I had phone them to check beforehand and they'd misinformed me.

I now have a postoffice credit card as they don't charge (they'll be making a turn somehow but not as much) and debit cards also charge. Moneysavingexpert.com has a guide on this and a blacklist of cards to avoid. To me this whole area is scandalous. Not so much what they charge but how opaque the whole thing is. If it's clear what I'm going to be charged and I choose to use the card that's fair enough but it's often far from clear. In this particular example the difference was about 10% compared to wholesale rates on xe.com etc.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
  • TowerRider
    TowerRider Posts: 430
    Proutster wrote:
    grandbleu wrote:
    They are pretty good. Have been using them for a long time now (with deliveries to UK and Denmark after moving) and never encountered any problems. Always fast and usually cheaper than other sites.

Thanks, I think I'll take the plunge and go for it - will post up my findings later.

Just a bit of advice, if you come on a forum and look for positives on whether to buy from somewhere it may be best to ignore posters with just 3 posts! You could just have asked the owner if he would buy from himself!
    I know someone who bought tons of stuff from a German site but I can't remember the link... presume that is also how some eBay sellers get their stuff.
  • i trying to find how much it going to cost to buy a motion control damper from the USA, bloody hard to find out the hidden charges and if i might get a surge charge on customs :cry:

s far its a pain..
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • Proutster
    Well, it's all arrived!!

Mmmmmm shiney, shiney!!

Ordered at mid-day Tuesday and it arrived at 12:15pm today (Friday).

Well packaged and all the right bits in the box.

Bank statement shows a total cost (including the Lloyds rip-off £1.00 charge for a foreign transaction) of £207.21 - approximate saving of £81 over UK web-sites.

Couldn't recommend them highly enough - good service & great prices.

Now, where's that hammer and monkey wrench to fit it all :lol:
  • tofu21
    tofu21 Posts: 359
    Proutster wrote:
    Well, it's all arrived!!

Mmmmmm shiney, shiney!!

Ordered at mid-day Tuesday and it arrived at 12:15pm today (Friday).

Well packaged and all the right bits in the box.

Bank statement shows a total cost (including the Lloyds rip-off £1.00 charge for a foreign transaction) of £207.21 - approximate saving of £81 over UK web-sites.

Couldn't recommend them highly enough - good service & great prices.

Now, where's that hammer and monkey wrench to fit it all :lol:

I totally agree. A couple of orders from them and will use them again without hesitation.
  • Ordered my Radon Slide AM 7.0 from them, took 1,5weeks to arrive. Amazing service and fast delivery 8)
  • Rob801
    Rob801 Posts: 43
    j0nttu wrote:
    Ordered my Radon Slide AM 7.0 from them, took 1,5weeks to arrive. Amazing service and fast delivery 8)
    I'm ready to order a bike from them as well (was looking at biker-boarder because of free shipping but stock wasn't so great and then I noticed that Bike-discount has free shipping on the bike I want plus it's in stock).

Anyway, I was just wondering if you ordered the "Bike Box" for shipping and also "how" prepped it was... They say the bike is "ready to ride" so does that mean that it is basically tuned and checked by them before they disassemble the front end for shipping (pretty sure I can handle the reassembly... don't have a lot of experience working on bikes yet but I am fairly mechanically inclined).

I'm going to be ordering the new Cube LTD CC, Bike Box, Shimano PD-T780 pedals, and a T3025 spider work stand to make caring for my new bike a bit easier (I'll be practicing on an old mosquito I need to fix up for a commuting, as well as my kids bikes before I attempt anything other than routine maintenance on my Cube ;))
  • I did not order my bike with the "bike Box" it was nicely packed in a cardboard box even without that option.
    I think it adds some extra protection for the bike(and it might be sturdy enough to re-use if needed).

Bike was nicely prepped, just attach front wheel, handlebar, pedals and seatpost and add some air to fork/rear shock if needed and its ready to ride.
  • Rob801
    Rob801 Posts: 43
    Great! Thanks for the fast response. I won't need the bike box again but for the price I think I'll get it anyway just to be on the safe side.
  • Hi everyone.
    My experience with bike-discount.de has been the worst online purchase in life and I have been buying online since 2003 including China or Ebay

They have been tricking me from all ways possible, delays, damaged product and the ice on the cake, the last one. Instead of giving my money back, they send a replacement supposed by mistake, to postpone even more to return the money.
    Im living a nightmare
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    You revived a 9 year old thread with your first post to accuse a retailer of tricking you but haven’t provided any details to back up your claim.
    Well done. 🙄
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    I would not buy anything from the EU right now until it all settles down. There are all sorts of new rules about what VAT to pay, who pays it, and at what money amount the liability shifts. The end result is confusion.