Best way to fill a chip in a carbon frame?

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,538
Afternoon all,

I am fortunate enough to have a 2018 Foil RC HMX frame, and not that long after I bought it, I managed to chip some paint out of the rear non drive side rear stay :'(

It's not an area that has a decal on it, and I have simply wrapped some black electrical tape around it.

I'd like to do something a bit more permament to cover it, so am considering something to fill it with more effectively, and then maybe put a decal over it to try and hide it, but also match it up on the other side.

Any recommendations for a small repair such as this?

Either in terms of the material to use, and or methods to make it smoothish - would something like sugru be viable?

I can post a pic in due course if that would help.

Thankyou in advance!
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    nail varnish or touch up paint will do the job.

but post a pic up anyway so we can see.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • daniel_b
    Will get a pic tomorrow in the daylight and post up - nail varnish looking favourite, just need to check it is in a place where I can then cover/disguise it with a small decal - thinking either Enve decals on both stays, in a fairly small font, or a Scott mobius either side.

Or failing that I could just put some clear frame protector over it I guess.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Unless it's a 'deep' chip which exposes the raw weave underneath, I'd personally leave it. Wear it with pride - it shows it's being ridden...
  • daniel_b
    Ok, couple of pics - chip was not where I remember it, nor as big, BUT it is right under the Scott stay logo, so no possibility of disguising it via another decal.

So looking like nail varnish dabbed in, and then some clear frame protector over the top.
    Would I be best to use some acetone to clean the area do you reckon?
    I have a large bottle that I use for cleaning up wheel rims where I have taken the decals off.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • MattFalle
    Oh, blimmin' tiny that there be, see..

Yup, clean with what you want, spaff some black nail varnish on, no need for frame protector but it won't do any harm.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    @daniel_b did you do anything to fix this? My R5 has two chips as does my CAAD12
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • daniel_b
    edited March 2021
    itboffin said:

@daniel_b did you do anything to fix this? My R5 has two chips as does my CAAD12

Hey ITB, someone on the Foil & Addict FB page recommended this paint pen thing.
    Only picked it up today, not sure when I will get to use it, likely by the end of this month, as I have some time off, and want to spend time on it.
    Also have some Enve's to re-decal and fit to it.

https://halfords.com/motoring/paints-and-body-repair/scratch-repair-and-paint-restorers/halfords-chip%2Fscratch-repair-pen-gloss-black-386789.html

That's gloss black, so depends on what colour you are trying to patch up I guess.
    I'm planning to apply it, and then will put some frame protection tape over it I think.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • itboffin
    I’ve got something similar it was useless
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    daniel_b said:

itboffin said:

Hey ITB, someone on the Foil & Addict FB page recommended this paint pen thing.
    Only picked it up today, not sure when I will get to use it, likely by the end of this month, as I have some time off, and want to spend time on it.
    Also have some Enve's to re-decal and fit to it.

https://halfords.com/motoring/paints-and-body-repair/scratch-repair-and-paint-restorers/halfords-chip%2Fscratch-repair-pen-gloss-black-386789.html

That's gloss black, so depends on what colour you are trying to patch up I guess.
    I'm planning to apply it, and then will put some frame protection tape over it I think.
    So annoying as one is from a chain drop the other a stone chip
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    edited March 2021
    Just put some tape back on. I mean, has anyone pointed at the stay and asked why there is a small strip of electrical tape on the underside?
    Then you can spend your time off dreaming of your power pedals....
  • daniel_b
    itboffin said:

I’ve got something similar it was useless

Oh balls, well I'll see how it goes I guess, but won't expect too much!

Just put some tape back on. I mean, has anyone pointed at the stay and asked why there is a small strip of electrical tape on the underside?
    Then you can spend your time off dreaming of your power pedals....

It has tape on currently, and has for nearly two years I guess, and no one has mentioned it, and I wouldn't care if they did, but this is my dream bike, and likely to be the best bike I own for quite a long time, so I'd like to just keep it in as good condition as I can, purely for myself.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • MattFalle
    nail varnish
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,175
    MattFalle said:

nail varnish

oh stop it, you drag queen...
    left the forum March 2023
  • MattFalle
    love a bit of nail varnish. black shiny nail varnish....