Sticky 105 Shifter

My Shimano 105 shifter for the rear derailleur has become slightly sticky so that when changing gear the lever doesn't fully return. Shifting seems to be fine, any ideas on how to free it up?

Comments

• edward.s
    edward.s Posts: 219
    I'd guess at cables. Disconnect the cable at the derallieur and pull it out of the shifter a few cm, then try the lever. If it functions OK then its new cable time, and probably outers too while you are in there.

I had similar with the polymer coating from a cable wearing off and building up at the exit from the inner causing friction - I've come to the conclusion the polymer coated ones are more trouble than they are worth and gone back to carefully lubricated stainless steel ones.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    flush out everything in the shifterwith gt85, lube shifter as necessary, get new inners and outers from the big box on the shelf at the LBS.

Carefully lube cables if you want but hey, they are perfect straight from the box.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle said:

flush out everything in the shifterwith gt85, lube shifter as necessary, get new inners and outers from the big box on the shelf at the LBS.

Carefully lube cables if you want but hey, they are perfect straight from the box.

What would you lube a shifter with?
  • edward.s
    edward.s Posts: 219
    MattFalle said:

I just like lube :smile:
  • MattFalle
    samfailed said:

MattFalle said:

What would you lube a shifter with?
    lube
  • MattFalle
    nothing too ganky just something nice and light.
  • mr_eddy
    mr_eddy Posts: 830
    Is it the new R7000 series by any chance?

If so then I think its a known issue (along with a rattling right shifter). Flushing with GT85 helped me but within a few rides the sticking came back - I ended up replacing cables / Outer cable / lots of lubrication on the shifter etc but it ultimately kept happening (only the right shifter)

Not the answer you probably wanted but just worth mentioning.
  • MattFalle
    If they are the same design as Ultegra 8000 then unfortunately its only a matter of time before they break.

Sorry.
  • jlloyd
    jlloyd Posts: 131
    I'd be checking for any bits of frayed cable in there too.