Power Meters?

I'm looking for a power meter for the bike but undecided on what to go for.

I'm tempted by powermeter pedals but have read some pretty poor reviews of both Garmin and Powertap pedals. Are the Favero pedals any better?

I've used a Quarq unit in the past and it's been bombproof but it seems they don't do them with GXP BB's any more which is what I'm after.

Any advice?

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    Favero Assiomas have pretty much universally good reviews. I have a few sets, they're great. If you're happy using Look cleats, there's basically nothing better.

Power2Max NG/NG Eco are very good too, and they have lots of fitment options, including the 3 bolt direct mount used on most GXP granks.
  • I’ve been using dual sided power tap pedals for a couple of years. The only issue they’ve given me is the odd spurious message from the H.U. telling me that one of them has lost signal. A quick check on the graphics screen showed that to be a spurious message. They are also quite hungry on the batteries. However, the convenience of being able to use them on all my bikes, regardless of Chain set, makes them more useful than crank or hub based systems for me.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    It's worth noting that the Powertap pedals have been discontinued, so support may prove to be a problem if you did buy them.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,510
    Favero.
  • crossed
    crossed Posts: 237
    I'd forgotten about Power2Max, I'll take a look at their offerings.
    The Favero look to be good for the price but I'm wondering whether to go with a crank system as it'll allow me the option of using SPD's as one of the bikes is a CX/gravel bike.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    i have a 4iiii left sided crank power meter and love it so much i just ordered another one this time direct from 4iiii in Canada using their send us your crank and they fit the meter and ship back, for $255 plus $32 fedex shipping and hopeful a small import tax from UK GOV.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    Favero.
  • prcody
    prcody Posts: 67
    I was told by a pro to look at Power2Max and their NGeco is coming in at a very good price. He warned me to avoid 4iii as he didnt rate them at all.
    I doubt I would notice much difference between 4iii and Power2Max compared to a pro but the NGeco is looking like good value in my eyes if I was to ever go that route.
  • Have had a P2M for years, and have never had a single problem with it.
  • crossed
    The P2M offerings look good but once Ive factored in the customs issues due to the cluster**** that is Brexit then they seem to be the best part of £600.
    I might have to look for something that I can get from a UK supplier as I'd imagine that any warranty issues with P2M could be a nightmare!
  • prcody
    prcody Posts: 67
    Look at Avio in the UK for their pm offering. Its a cheap starter pm and UK based.
  • crossed
    prcody said:

Look at Avio in the UK for their pm offering. Its a cheap starter pm and UK based.

Looks interesting. I'll have to see if I've got enough clearance between the crank and stay though.
  • I've got a 4iiii left arm crank only and unless you're really taking your training seriously it's more than accurate enough. I've never had a problem with mine, callibration is really easy with a Garmin Edge or the 4iiii android/ios app. For the money they're really good.... I honestly don't think I'd get any value in having L & R data vs just L, for me, an accurate power number from one side is more than good enough.... I've tested it alongside my Wahoo Kickr and the numbers are pretty much identical.
  • itboffin
    my 4iiii arrived back safely today with no additional import taxes which was a bonus
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    on the subject of left/right balance i would like to know what my L/R offset is but not really concerned about having both, for me its about repeatable measurable data