2021 Giro/Vuelta Routes Announced

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,811
edited February 2021 in Pro race
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/vuelta-a-espana/vuelta-a-espana-route-2-442583

Top and tailed by the chrono kms, staying with Spain's borders, so covering more regions.
It manages to look slightly different, even when using a number of familiar finishes.
All profiles can be viewed through the link provided.
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    It surprisingly sprinter friendly for a Vuelta. And I see they've found another lunatic climb with El Gamonitieru
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,451
    Stage 6, classic Vuelta. Spend the first half of the stage going downhill then pan flat for the second half but as it's the Vuelta they then stick a sharp climb in to the finish line.
  • The Giro route has just been announced.
    17 of the 21 stages will be covered from start to finish.

So far only CN have a write up, although few of the profiles.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/giro-ditalia-2021-route-revealed/

More to follow.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    There's a nasty 0.2% climb for the last 10km of this one

Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,383
    edited February 2021
    ^ It broke me that one did... 😔

This looks like it was supposed to be Dumolin/Viviani (/?Froome) bait
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    Nice to see the Giau towards the sharp end of the race as it's usually more towards the middle. Shame they're finishing in Cortina though rather than either on the Giau itself or either the Tre Croci or Tre Cime the other side of Cortina.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited February 2021
    Giro goes past the front door (as in across where I park my car) and is one of the training routes I use to go from L'Aquila to Rocca di Cambio and Rocca di Mezzo for coffee.

And I'm stuck here due to bloody covid.

bloody bloody bloody covid.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • phreak said:

Nice to see the Giau towards the sharp end of the race as it's usually more towards the middle. Shame they're finishing in Cortina though rather than either on the Giau itself or either the Tre Croci or Tre Cime the other side of Cortina.

On that stage, the straight 3km at 12% on that side of Fedaia (before it gets steeper through the hairpins) is the most soul destroying piece of road I have ever ridden. Shame it's so early in the stage.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905

phreak said:

On that stage, the straight 3km at 12% on that side of Fedaia (before it gets steeper through the hairpins) is the most soul destroying piece of road I have ever ridden. Shame it's so early in the stage.
    Aye, that bit of the Fedaia is horrible. I wonder if they will make it through the Sottoguda? I know there was some terrible flooding that made a mess of the road, but not sure if it's been mended or whether Covid has delayed things a bit.

Regarding the route, obviously it was a bit later on (I think they went over the Sella and finished at val Gardena), but Pantani famously used the Fedaia to blow the race up in 98 so if someone is feeling bold...
  • phreak said:

phreak said:

Aye, that bit of the Fedaia is horrible. I wonder if they will make it through the Sottoguda? I know there was some terrible flooding that made a mess of the road, but not sure if it's been mended or whether Covid has delayed things a bit.

Regarding the route, obviously it was a bit later on (I think they went over the Sella and finished at val Gardena), but Pantani famously used the Fedaia to blow the race up in 98 so if someone is feeling bold...
    They'll go up the main road, surely, not through the gorge. Was it the gorge that was in a state?
  • phreak said:

phreak said:

They'll go up the main road, surely, not through the gorge. Was it the gorge that was in a state?
    Yup.
    Fedaia is by the new road (as expected) and not via Serrai di Sottoguda.
  • I like the longish TT one the final day of the Giro, that could be really interesting
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,720

I like the longish TT one the final day of the Giro, that could be really interesting

Go Ganna!
    He's proved that he can climb. The potential to become the new Big Mig is there.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.