Sub £30 trail shorts

My current baggy shorts have shrunk in the wash considerably over Christmas and I need some new ones.
Need to be cheap (Sub £30), tough enough to laugh in the face of brambles (within reason) and not too long, stop above the knee as I have big quads.

Riding is mostly in good weather and commuting, just occasional wet/fithly. Don't want anything 10000% waterproof or with a click in liner, just want some basic sho

I've currently got some Madison ones, quite old and I think they were just called "trail shorts" but they've done me well.
Something like the Madison freewheel shorts, but I think that's discontinued.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    thistle_ said:

My current baggy shorts have shrunk in the wash considerably over Christmas and I need some new ones.

"shrunk in the wash..." I'll have to use that. :D
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    I managed to pick some sub £30 Altura baggies from go outdoors off the sale rail and it was still a gamble as you cant try them on.
    Sub £30 is a tough ask. Perhaps accepting they'll forever be shrunk and you will never wear them again will allow you to increase the budget.
    My endura shorts shrunk in my cupboard so i do feel your pain.
  • ToneC
    ToneC Posts: 33
    Decathlon?
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    ToneC said:

Decathlon?

POssibly - their £15 quid basics are tolerable for short rides, but the 900 series which are much better are £35 - although i'd recommend that extra £5!
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    edited April 2021

ToneC said:

Decathlon?

POssibly - their £15 quid basics are tolerable for short rides, but the 900 series which are much better are £35 - although i'd recommend that extra £5!
    Might have a look now they're open and can travel there.

I've picked up a set of More Mile baggies for £20, but they're 2 in 1 (i.e. a pair of lycra shorts with normal shorts over the top). I'm willing to give them a try but not sure how I'll get on with them. The outer short material is very thin.