Seatpost Help Please

Looking for advice on an issue I've had for a while but it's only started to irritate me recently.

I have a Canyon with seatpost that has 25mm layback. The way I've always measured my fore / aft (rightly or wrongly) is take a measurement from the rear of the saddle to the gap on the top of the stem & that's always worked for me within a mm or two here & there..

However on this bike when I've done that the saddle is clamped as far back as it can go & past the STOP marker:

I'm only a lightweight (less than 70kg) but having recently got a new Selle Italia Flite Boost saddle although it may be my imagination I'm feeling a bit more flex when I'm riding which I'm putting down to there being less support than there should be as it's clamped so far back. I've only had 3 rides so just getting used to it so I might need a bit more time on it, I'm just not sure.

My question is how can I get the saddle more in the centre of the rails whilst still keeping the measurements the same? Or would you just ride it as is?

I've been looking at inline seatposts but I'm not gonna lie I can't work out whether that would solve the problem or not? I've been looking for an excuse to get a new seapost anyway TBH as I've always hated the clamp on the Canyon, it's too fiddly to set up.

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    Your measurement system is flawed, as it is dependent on the length of the stem and also the saddle to bar drop. What you should be doing is setting the saddle position relative to the bottom bracket, as that is what's important for your legs. You can then adjust the length stem/height to suit your upper body and arms.

If the saddle is in the correct position for you there (and it's probably not), then you need a seatpost with more layback. That doesn't look like a 25mm layback post, the centre of the cradle is still above the actual post, which would make it no more than 15mm as the post will be around 30mm. If it's a round post (it looks like it is), then just find a replacement with the same diameter. An inline seatpost would make this even worse.
  • brundonbianchi
    brundonbianchi Posts: 689
    edited February 2021
    It looks as though you’ve tried to adjust your reach with the saddle position. You should only do that with stem length, then adjust saddle to bar drop using seat post and stem spacer position and heights. As was said that really doesn’t look like a 25mm lay back, it looks less than that. If you went with a zero lay back seat, it would make it worse.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    I was fully expecting my measurement system to be flawed TBH but as I say it’s always been there or thereabouts.

I have the same stem length on both my bikes (110mm) & I guess it’s always been a case of Off out ain’t broke don’t fix it.

This is the seatpost I have:

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/gear/components/posts-and-clamps/seatposts/canyon-s23-vcls-cf-seatpost/148288.html

I would need something with more layback than that presuming I’m happy with the position?
  • ibr17xvii
    "It looks as though you’ve tried to adjust your reach with the saddle position. You should only do that with stem length, then adjust saddle to bar drop using seat post and stem spacer position and heights. As was said that really doesn’t look like a 25mm lay back, it looks less than that. If you went with a zero lay back seat, it would make it worse.
    That’s probably it in a nutshell however for whatever reason it’s a always worked. Maybe by more luck than judgement but there you go.

If I’ve never had a problem with where it’s been positioned perhaps I’m best just to leave it as it is.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    Your layback looks smaller than on the post in the link. Look at the amount of metal in front of the cradle and the angle of the front bolt. It may be that Canyon do a version with smaller layback for their full builds. It may just be the photo, but I would estimate the actual layback on that post at 15mm. You can measure this, it's the distance between the centreline of the post and the centre of the cradle.

If you do want to keep the same position, then you will need a larger setback post, it looks like you'd need at least another 20mm, but again you can measure this by looking at the distance between the front of the clamp and the 'Stop' line on the rails. You'll find though that you may be looking for a much larger layback than usually exists, as most posts only go up to 25mm layback. I really would advise looking again at the position, especially if you haven't had this issue before on other bikes.
  • ibr17xvii

Your layback looks smaller than on the post in the link. Look at the amount of metal in front of the cradle and the angle of the front bolt. It may be that Canyon do a version with smaller layback for their full builds. It may just be the photo, but I would estimate the actual layback on that post at 15mm. You can measure this, it's the distance between the centreline of the post and the centre of the cradle.

If you do want to keep the same position, then you will need a larger setback post, it looks like you'd need at least another 20mm, but again you can measure this by looking at the distance between the front of the clamp and the 'Stop' line on the rails. You'll find though that you may be looking for a much larger layback than usually exists, as most posts only go up to 25mm layback. I really would advise looking again at the position, especially if you haven't had this issue before on other bikes.

Thanks for your help mate, really appreciate it.

I’m pretty sure that link is the one I have, I don’t think Canyon do anything different in terms of aftermarket stuff & what you get on full bikes. I will measure it though.

I will absolutely revisit my position but I think I’m fairly happy with it so I’ll probably have a look at a post with more layback & see how I go with that.

Thanks again for the advice. Although it’s not a major problem it’s been irritating me.