Front Derailleur Chain Rub

Hello. I haven't had a road bike in a while so please forgive me if my query is stupid (my last bike has Alfine internal hub gears)

I noticed when checking over my new bike that the front derailleur starts to rub on the chain when I I'm on the small front ring and i change to the 3rd smallest ring on the rear. I dare not use the 2nd smallest and smallest on a ride as the rubbing is quite significant. I'm aware of the rule of not using opposite extremes but should there be this amount of rubbing or does the front derailleur need adjusting? If so, wear would it involve?

My chainset is campagnolo veloce 10speed

Thankyou in advance

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    Is the rest of the drivetrain Veloce 10 speed as well? If so, if I remember correctly, the left shifter isn't indexed, and has a few clicks instead. You can shift it by one or two clicks to stop it rubbing.
  • Is the rest of the drivetrain Veloce 10 speed as well? If so, if I remember correctly, the left shifter isn't indexed, and has a few clicks instead. You can shift it by one or two clicks to stop it rubbing.

Yes the whole drivechain is veloce 10s. I'm not entirely sure what you mean but I'm guessing that you're saying that the left shifter, if I push it a couple of clicks (but not enough to make it go onto big ring) that will move the derailleur over to the right to make extra room for the gears that are rubbing?
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700

Is the rest of the drivetrain Veloce 10 speed as well? If so, if I remember correctly, the left shifter isn't indexed, and has a few clicks instead. You can shift it by one or two clicks to stop it rubbing.

Yes the whole drivechain is veloce 10s. I'm not entirely sure what you mean but I'm guessing that you're saying that the left shifter, if I push it a couple of clicks (but not enough to make it go onto big ring) that will move the derailleur over to the right to make extra room for the gears that are rubbing?
    Yes, exactly. Press the shift lever so that it clicks once or twice and it will (if it's set up correctly) move the front mech slightly to eliminate the rub.
  • Thankyou mate. I will give that a go 👍🍻
  • Just an update on this. I tried following a tutorial on how to adjust the derailleur and the limit screw on the outside doesn't seem to do anything. The one near the frame works in moving the derailleur in and out but the other one doesn't.