S3 or Tarmac

Hi Guys,

Help required, which way would you go?

The tarmac is very top end of budget but wondered if the Cervelo is better value for money?

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Cervelo/S-Series-Ultegra-Disc-Road-Bike-2021/RKUV

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Specialized/Tarmac-SL7-Expert-Disc-Road-Bike-2021/RE0A

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Out of those 2, I’d go with the Spesh.
  • dangardner27
    dangardner27 Posts: 118
    edited February 2021
    I'd not go with either - there are some bargains out there. So much depends on what type of riding you do.

If it's mixed riding then with some decent climbs then take a look at this, if you are in the size range.

https://www.merlincycles.com/argon-18-gallium-pro-ultegra-road-bike-193721.html

Gives you loads of cash left to stick on a fantastic set of Mid / Deep Carbon wheels. (Not Hunts)...World tour bike for a lot less than the 2 you are thinking of.
  • dormer88
    dormer88 Posts: 110
    Thanks Dan.

I’m open to other options for sure however I do prefer the aero look of the Cervelo/specialized
  • The Cervelo is lovely...and a couple weeks ago was £600 cheaper...:(
  • dormer88

The Cervelo is lovely...and a couple weeks ago was £600 cheaper...:(

Really? Guessing the added value against Brexit?

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I think they're both about a grand over priced for what they are.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    edited February 2021
    @OP https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/bikes/road-racing-bikes/merida-reacto-disc-8000-e-road-bike-2021-light-blue-black__355125

Merida own 49% of Specialized and don’t sell/ compete with Specialized in North America, which tells you something.

@elbowloh more like £2k overpriced, both companies are ripping the arse out of the covid situation with elevated and unsustainable pricing.

I own a Tarmac SL5 and was considering moving up to the SL7, while the pro disc in blue is Lycra stretching beautiful it’s simply not worth the asking price, more so since the last price increase.

The Reacto has the same tech and development behind the bike but at a more palatable price. Plenty of rave reviews and I’m thinking of going the same route.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • I had an SL5 & SL6 and just in terms of performance, I could not really fault either bike. They are very stiff and will transfer power pretty smoothly. They are also very comfortable and the handling, particularly on descents, is very good.

I would agree though that spesh and all the major brands are taking the proverbial with pricing these days. Over £5k for what is basically a 'mid level' build is ridiculous. I had a conversation with a guy from a bike shop recently and he referred to the £6k bracket as 'mid range' which made me both laugh and also hacked me off. If the industry are now viewing that price point as mid level (I appreciate this is one person and probably does not reflect a lot of bike shops), then I am worried for the future direction of bike manufacture.
  • When the SL7 Expert Disc was released it was 4750 everywhere. These prices are getting stupid tbf.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Yeah they don't look cheap. Are we going to be paying 3k plus for 105 from now on. It's one way to reduce demand to meet limited supply I suppose.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    £4,339 is a total joke for an S3. They are having a total laugh at that price.

Its, at the very, very most, a £3k bike. Discs will de-value it from that price point.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    edited February 2021
    I'd get an Orca.

Only problem Orbea have joined the "We don't sell rim braked bikes club"
  • dormer88
    Jeez, thanks guys, no idea where to go now 😂.

The budget is £5k, something 56 and in stock. I like the cannondale aero, however I just prefer the look of the tarmac.

Open to ideas thanks.
  • MattFalle
    Don't get me wrong, the S3 is a mega bike, but just not at that price and you don't need discs.
  • MattFalle
  • dormer88
    MattFalle said:
    Cheers Matt, that's alot of bike, however now out of stock annoyingly.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    edited February 2021
    Yellow cezrvelo is in stock ^
    But if you really "just prefer the look of the tarmac", and if that's where your heart is, then I'd advise you to get one.
    The problem is timing - there probably won't be too many deals about until later this year.

Either of these float your boat?
    https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Trek/Madone-SL-6-Disc-Road-Bike-2020/N72Z (56 stock in about a week)
    https://www.sigmasports.com/item/BMC/Teammachine-SLR02-One-Force-eTap-AXS-Disc-Road-Bike-2020/N8SX
    https://www.balfesbikes.co.uk/bikes/road-bikes/giant-propel-advanced-1-disc-carbon-road-bike-2021-in-carbon__23214?currency=GBP&chosenAttribute=2110088105
  • OP, are you open to second hand?

If so, there are a couple of Tarmac SL6 available as complete bikes (one disc, one rim) in a size 56 on ebay. Well within your budget and worth a look perhaps.
  • I was also looking at these 2 bikes. Was speaking with a friend that has a bike shop and he said manufacturers are considering releasing "2022" bike ranges shortly and they will come with SRAM because Shimano not available. I'm going to wait for a few months and see what happens.
  • DeVlaeminck
    singleton said:

But if you really "just prefer the look of the tarmac", and if that's where your heart is, then I'd advise you to get one.
    The problem is timing - there probably won't be too many deals about until later this year.

What do people think the long term outlook is? It's hard to see the big brands actually dropping prices - I'm hoping for some return to discounting to make them a bit more palatable but if 2021 stock is already selling out it's hard to see that happening until Autumn 2022 or perhaps 2023.

It could mean a lot of riders start looking more at PlanetX and some of the other more keenly priced brands - after all we all know it's really about a rider's legs not the grade of carbon used to manufacture their frame - it's nice to have a bike you want rather than just a bike you need but not at any cost.
  • MattFalle
    a few Cervelo framesets on deal here - build it up as your budget sees fit and you could be on a winner....

Prime Primavera bars and stem, Prime deep rim tubulars, Force or Chorus groupset....

has a lot of potential.....

https://www.racycles.com/searchresults/?keyword=cervelo+frameset&pagenum=1
  • MattFalle
    R&A are bang on tidy to deal with as well.
  • MattFalle

singleton said:

What do people think the long term outlook is? It's hard to see the big brands actually dropping prices - I'm hoping for some return to discounting to make them a bit more palatable but if 2021 stock is already selling out it's hard to see that happening until Autumn 2022 or perhaps 2023.

It could mean a lot of riders start looking more at PlanetX and some of the other more keenly priced brands - after all we all know it's really about a rider's legs not the grade of carbon used to manufacture their frame - it's nice to have a bike you want rather than just a bike you need but not at any cost.
    They aren't going to drop prices at all and why should they?

Its all about supply and demand and demand isn't going to drop tbh.....

PX and similar will also raise prices because, well, why shouldn't they? Its making hay while the sun shines.
  • What do people think the long term outlook is?

It depends what is driving the current shortage. Are manufacturers still producing the same output and covid has seen a huge increase in consumer demand or has covid cut output and demand levels are consistent but there is limited supply to meet it?

My guess with the kind of bikes we are all discussing is that output/supply has dried up and cannot meet the usual demand, so manufacturers are putting prices up to account for the lack of volume. Hard to see there is suddenly a europe/world wide demand for mid to high end road bikes but I could well be wrong.

If it is a supply issue then manufacturers either get back up to capacity and prices realign, or they could decide to continue to limit supply and take advantage of the price increases the demand for bikes attracts. A return to normal capacity is perhaps our best bet for prices returning to normal short to medium term, if that is indeed the issue.

If it is a genuine demand for bikes at all levels, then expect long term price hikes as people seem willing to pay extra to get hold of a bike.

• DeVlaeminck
    PX will raise prices but they will still be cheaper than say Trek or Cervelo for a carbon Ultegra equipped bike.

I think the current shortage is largely supply driven with a bit of extra demand created by Covid lockdown. But even if and when supply returns to normal and lock down is over there must be a degree of suppressed demand from the last 12 months that will take some time to work through the system. The people who didn't buy that new bike because racing/sportives were cancelled, prices were high, their preferred model was sold out etc.
  • MattFalle
    Agree re PX prices but why would you buy Ultegra if you had the choice?
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,817
    MattFalle said:

Agree re PX prices but why would you buy Ultegra if you had the choice?

To annoy some people?
    Also it maybe comes on the bike as opposed to a choice when building up from the frameset?
  • MattFalle
    well choose a different bike then.
  • It's not going to change until the cost of a container drops from $20k back to $2k to ship stuff. That's why there is a supply chain issue causing lack of stock. It's happening in other sectors too.

I bet there is tons (literally) of Dura ace sitting in a warehouse in Japan awaiting a reasonably priced container.