Cassette "over-run"

Hi, I have a 2016 Saracen Mantra Trail.
I've just had to replace the bottom bracket, chain and cassette due to wear and tear.
Whilst doing so I decided to try a 1x set up, so replaced the Deore 2x10 with a Deore 1x11 set up. 11-51 Cassette.
All seemed well, but I noticed that on the first long ride, that if I stop pedalling suddenly, whilst at speed, it feels, and looks like the inertia of the cassette causes it to keep turning a little, the top chain goes slightly slack, then the Derailleur takes up the tension, and pulls the chain back tight, and there's a noticeable "jolt" when that happens.
Turning the rear clutch on seems to improve it.
Is there a setting to increase the tension in the derailleur, or something else I should be doing?
Or is this simply a side effect of a large range, heavy cassette?
Or an effect of a freewheel on its way out?
Appreciate any help, pleade.

Thanks

Rich

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    That's generally indicative of a draggy freehub, which can mean it needs some maintenance or that it's nearing the end of its life, depending on whether it's a serviceable hub.
  • That's generally indicative of a draggy freehub, which can mean it needs some maintenance or that it's nearing the end of its life, depending on whether it's a serviceable hub.

Thanks @whyamihere , I've just been cleaning down the bike and lubing before putting it away. Spinning the back wheel, there is a noticeable rough spot/noise at a certain point if rotation. That point moves, if I rotate the hub/cassette, and spin the wheel again, so I suspect you may well be right!
    I think it may well be a non serviceable Shimano free hub. Should have paid attention to that when swapping the cassette.
    Thanks.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313

That's generally indicative of a draggy freehub, which can mean it needs some maintenance or that it's nearing the end of its life, depending on whether it's a serviceable hub.

Thanks @whyamihere , I've just been cleaning down the bike and lubing before putting it away. Spinning the back wheel, there is a noticeable rough spot/noise at a certain point if rotation. That point moves, if I rotate the hub/cassette, and spin the wheel again, so I suspect you may well be right!
    I think it may well be a non serviceable Shimano free hub. Should have paid attention to that when swapping the cassette.
    Thanks.
    most of those non serviceable hubs are serviceable if you have the inclination........ and the tools and a free evening. which is good because they're brutally expensive.