Very unfit and out of shape

I came out the army in 2010 and was diagnosed with ptsd and anxiety and stress, been a battle ever since, not worked for last 4 years and very unfit and out of shape could do with loosing a stone in weight and my mental health doctor told me to take up a sport and exercise so I got a second hand specialized allez elite and took up cycling but I'm not sure how far I should be cycling at first and feel really deflated at how unfit I am as I used to be so fit and active I could run 5 miles no problem not even out of breath, but I'm struggling on the bike my legs burn and my ass hurts is this because I'm new to cycling and not used to it

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    If your legs are burning try spinning faster in an easier gear.
    Start with small distances and build up from there.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,510
    I'm also an ex-serviceman, likewise I took up (rediscovered) cycling to improve my mental and physical fitness.
    1. Well done.
    2. 10 miles per ride max until you're ready for further.
    3. as pblakeney suggests regarding gearing.
    4. enjoy.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    edited February 2021
    Writing from personal experience, when starting to cycle for fitness, it's very easy to be guilty of riding too frequently involving hard efforts. You can end up "overtraining" and have sore legs that feel very weak when you get on the bike.

It's certainly possible to ride 5+ days a week, but the key is making a vast majority of those days keeping you in your easy power/heart zones.

Being able to judge your effort by using a heart rate monitor and a device you can see your heart rate in real time will make things much easier while you get a good feel for your overall typical effort range.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

I came out the army in 2010 and was diagnosed with ptsd and anxiety and stress, been a battle ever since, not worked for last 4 years and very unfit and out of shape could do with loosing a stone in weight and my mental health doctor told me to take up a sport and exercise so I got a second hand specialized allez elite and took up cycling but I'm not sure how far I should be cycling at first and feel really deflated at how unfit I am as I used to be so fit and active I could run 5 miles no problem not even out of breath, but I'm struggling on the bike my legs burn and my censored hurts is this because I'm new to cycling and not used to it

Just try and enjoy being out and about and don't worry too much at the moment about distance. Try and pick some places to actually go to, so you have a destination in mind (a local beauty spot or something). Cycle there, sit down, admire the view, have a drink and then cycle home.

See if you've got any mates who fancy a ride, it's always easier with a buddy,
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Amazing to hear you have the courage to start getting back in shape, that's the biggest milestone! Everything is going to suck when you start out, the faster you come to terms with that the better. Set low expectations and keep working at it. Consitency is king, and if you just compound a little bit over a long time it will add up
  • If you haven't already , make sure you have adjusted your bike to fit as much as possible, can often make a big difference to your legs!
    Also padded shorts if you haven't got them!
  • brundonbianchi
    brundonbianchi Posts: 689
    edited February 2021
    You’ll be using muscles that you wouldn’t normally be using so much, or in the way you are when you ride a bike. Get the bike set up professionally to start with ( when it’s possible again ). That’s a big part of it sorted. Then make sure you have a decent pair of padded bibs / shorts / whatever, to take the blows, and some decent minty arse cream ( otherwise known as chamois creme) to help with any chafing. Make sure your saddle is the right size and shape and composition for your preferences ( a lot of decent bike shops will allow you to try a few different ones / give you a decent saddle fitting ). Then make sure your gearing is suitable for the riding you do. Then it’s pretty much a case of conditioning yourself, by riding about. There’s no hard and fast rules, but start with low distances, and don’t push yourself too hard, then do the same distances, but with more effort, then increase the distances and chuck in some terrain. Then repeat the cycle, increasing distance, then the effort. Allow yourself a bit of recovery time after the rides, and you’ll soon get ‘bike fit’. Fair play to you for getting out there and going for it, good luck. If you want a bit of structure look on the British cycling ‘let’s ride’ website. www.Letsride.co.uk.
    They have a lot of superb routes, led by fantastic ( and very very handsome) trained and qualified, experienced ride leaders, at various levels. Choose your level, join the rides, you’ll be getting the riding in, and hardly notice the effort.
  • Thanks for everyone's advice, think I expect to much to soon, as I was super fit in the army wouldn't have thought twice about banging out 2or3 5 mile runs in a week as well as all the other training. It just gets me a bit down that I have let myself get this much out of shape,spent the last 3 years a couch potato couldn't leave the house with my anxiety and ptsd plus all the meds I was on was making me put weight on I was 15st 5 and I've got down to 13.4 by not taking meds and dieting and exercise I feel better off the meds then on them they make you feel sluggish and not want to do anything but I must remember that I'm not 21 anymore and it takes time to get in shape again
    Thanks again for your time and help 😀
  • Thanks for everyone's advice, think I expect to much to soon, as I was super fit in the army wouldn't have thought twice about banging out 2or3 5 mile runs in a week as well as all the other training. It just gets me a bit down that I have let myself get this much out of shape,spent the last 3 years a couch potato couldn't leave the house with my anxiety and ptsd plus all the meds I was on was making me put weight on I was 15st 5 and I've got down to 13.4 by not taking meds and dieting and exercise I feel better off the meds then on them they make you feel sluggish and not want to do anything but I must remember that I'm not 21 anymore and it takes time to get in shape again

Positive mental attitude counts for a lot. The feel good factor you’ll get from the endorphins and dopamine released naturally when you exercise will help as well. Keep at it, take it steady, you’ll get your fitness back before you know it.
  • motogull
    motogull Posts: 325
    It'll come fella, be patient.

When I started riding after many years, I decided that my goal was to beat the toughest hill on my manor. I went out every weekend noting where I made it to before stopping the week before and making sure I went past it by 10m each time. Sounds weedy now, but when I made it, I was well chuffed.
  • Be easy on yourself. I remember my first 40km ride this summer and my quads were sore and I couldn't move. I only started riding during the lockdown and ended up doing 2000 miles in 2020. Riding has been much more low impact than running ever was and I've been out and about and putting the miles in during ice, cold and cold weather.

I used to love cycling as a kid and that love is back after all these years. Sure you can compare against what others are doing but run your own race and let others run their own. If you want it to be a long term happiness then don't think about the short term. Keep at it and take it day by day. You used to be very fit and you know that it takes slow and steady steps to achieve that consistency so give yourself that time. There's plenty people who'll help you along the way so enjoy it every time you can and ask for help when you need.

Fitness will come back but be happy within yourself first. Not many will have lived a life that you've already laid to rest so get on your bike and keep telling us each time you push yourself a little further.
  • I'm 41 and was 40 when I started riding again. You'll get there fella and it'll hurt before it gets easy - but I bet you already know that.

Man it's great that you wanna start getting better, nobody expects you to come out like superman after that ordeal. Makes me feel bad about my excuses and complaints
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244

I came out the army in 2010 and was diagnosed with ptsd and anxiety and stress, been a battle ever since, not worked for last 4 years and very unfit and out of shape could do with loosing a stone in weight and my mental health doctor told me to take up a sport and exercise so I got a second hand specialized allez elite and took up cycling but I'm not sure how far I should be cycling at first and feel really deflated at how unfit I am as I used to be so fit and active I could run 5 miles no problem not even out of breath, but I'm struggling on the bike my legs burn and my censored hurts is this because I'm new to cycling and not used to it

Hi mate,

Not quite sure what's happened with the thread but, and I know everyone says it, keep your head down and just keep doing it, and you will get there.

For what it's worth, I've found my fitness tends to go up in steps - it will stay at a certain level and then suddenly I'll be a bit better.

I found that helps pushing through the plateaus - thinking that the next fitness step is just around the corner.

You will eventually find that, as you get fitter, it becomes more fun as you have more fitness to play with to do things on the bike.

I ended up having two years off for boring reasons and in lockdown I just tried to do a bit on the turbo every day. It wasn't particularly fun but it was short enough that I could bare it and it was every day. I would feel better having done it in the evening and after a month I went from being properly knackered after very little riding to being able to smash it twice a day and do the same again.

Basically, chin up, keep at it. We all started at some point.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    Back on topic...

Well done, great start. Just have a ride around, fitness will come. Enjoy the wind in your hair. Look over the hedges.

I'm a decent cyclist now, but the first ride out I had (10 years ago) I almost didn't make it to 10 miles. I was dead. Just keep pedaling, enjoy the process.

Well done.
    Insert bike here:
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    edited February 2021
    @neilhoughton2020

Like someone said, cycling uses different muscle groups to running and it will take time.
    Mix it up, cycle to a pub (when they're open) or a café, be a tourist. Don't worry about the guy who hammers past you at silly speed - he's been doing it for a while and he sped up when he saw you just to assert himself.

Get lost in the sticks (it takes you to a different place) and pedal at a good cadence (pedal speed). Don't worry about anything else. Aim for 70 - 75 rpm.
    Most of all, don't make it a chore - have fun. I'm a kid again every time I get on the bike.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • studlygf
    studlygf Posts: 12

Hi Mate
    I feel your pain ! I was I the same boat years ago I left in 96 ! Went straight into Fire Service, stayed for mostly but left with depression etc, I’ve only just started back and totally agree about thinking we’re fit forever, I was the same as you could run forever but now reality has crept up !! I’ve just purchased a road bike and after reading your post I’m basically going to start as if I’ve never trained before ! Keep us updated on your progress!🇬🇧👍💪🤘
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
  • ed1973
    ed1973 Posts: 284
    @neilhoughton2020
    Firstly massive congratulations on getting out there. I wish you all the best.
    Getting fitter and losing weight is 10% physical and 90% mental. The front door challenge (getting ready and out the front door) is the toughest challenge to anyone who trains, plays sport etc at any level from beginner to elite. Once you have got out of that door the rest is easier. Set yourself little targets even as small as ‘I’m going to ride my bike 3 times this week’. Getting fitter is like eating an elephant with a teaspoon, just keep at it!
    Never, ever be put off by what other people do and what they say they do each week, they aren’t you and aren’t going through the challenges you go through. I’ve been on this forum for a while and can honestly say there are loads of people who will help and support you on this journey! Oh and look into joining your local cycling club, I can guarantee they will have people of completely similar ability to you and riding with others is way better than on your own.
    Go for it Neil!!
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Doesn't look like @neilhoughton2020 has been on here since April, hopefully all is going well :)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Kaiser Sose
    Kaiser Sose Posts: 90
    edited June 2021
    Lots of steady and relatively flat 10 - 15 milers is what you need to be doing. You need to be spending time in the saddle and getting used to the riding position and getting your pelvic area used to being in the saddle. There are lots of minor muscles involved in cycling, in the neck, shoulders, back and ribcage that all ache like crazy until you get familiar with it.

After doing that for a few weeks, five to six I suggest to build a solid foundation, start to add 5 miles to the distance to each ride, and maybe the odd steady hill. You will soon be up to 40 to 50 mile rides.

Ignore all the speed demons who overtake you. They are them, you are you. It is what YOU are doing that matters.

Well done, it will come eventually. It is not easy mate, nothing worthwhile ever is.
  • Well done for what you have achieved so far.

Patience is key. Don't do too much, start off really easy, increase distance/effort gradually. Buy a heart rate monitor and stick to Zones 2 or 3 .

I didn't do any exercise for over 20years (raced a lot of MTB in the 90's). Started with running and it took me 3 months to run 1km - no joke! Bought a bike and despite running a lot it still hurt (different muscles), and it still took a few weeks to get up to speed (literally).

Stick with it, but as I said, patience is key.
  • Well done for what you have achieved so far.

Patience is key. Don't do too much, start off really easy, increase distance/effort gradually. Buy a heart rate monitor and stick to Zones 2 or 3 .

I didn't do any exercise for over 20years (raced a lot of MTB in the 90's). Started with running and it took me 3 months to run 1km - no joke! Bought a bike and despite running a lot it still hurt (different muscles), and it still took a few weeks to get up to speed (literally).

Genuine question but really? A heart rate device? I would leave that stuff for competition. If I wanted to get fitter, I would like a simpler way of doing so. Its like this dieting stuff to lose weight. Stuff about carbs, proteins etc. To me the numbers on the food packaging mean the same as the language you might find on the internal walls of a pyramid.

Lets just say I have a potato in my hand. How do I tell how many carbs are in it? What does a protein look like? Surely being healthy doesn't require a science degree. But that's the way it's made out to be. No wonder so many people are
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    ...hanging?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

To me the numbers on the food packaging mean the same as the language you might find on the internal walls of a pyramid.

"I don't understand it = therefore it's not useful" Cracking logic...

• big.bream83SGjmJv
    big.bream83SGjmJv Posts: 53
    edited August 2021

Well done for what you have achieved so far.

Genuine question but really? A heart rate device? I would leave that stuff for competition. If I wanted to get fitter, I would like a simpler way of doing so. Its like this dieting stuff to lose weight. Stuff about carbs, proteins etc. To me the numbers on the food packaging mean the same as the language you might find on the internal walls of a pyramid.

Lets just say I have a potato in my hand. How do I tell how many carbs are in it? What does a protein look like? Surely being healthy doesn't require a science degree. But that's the way it's made out to be. No wonder so many people are
    Yes, a Heart Rate device will let you know what Zones you are in. Therefore, you know what Zone to stay in to burn more Fat for example....

It's quite simple really, no Science Degree needed.

As I found out when I restarted after 20years away, it's far too easy to go off at a million miles an hour, burn out, get an injury and you are worse off then when you started and potentially give up - I've seen it lots of times.

Being able to track effort based on your Heart Rate allows you to tailor your rides accordingly. So... if I want to ride in Heart Rate Zone 2, I know I am not overdoing it, I am using Fat stores and I am way less likely to get an injury - something that is important when you are getting back into exercise.

Nothing complicated about it, you just need half a brain cell to understand it.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I thought the idea of exercising at a lowish heart rate to burn off fat had been proved to be a myth.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,512
    edited August 2021
    webboo said:

I thought the idea of exercising at a lowish heart rate to burn off fat had been proved to be a myth.

Kind of true, it depends on how long you exercise for and critically how much you reward yourself afterwards (food).
    High intensity/resistance exercise does have an advantage in that you carry on losing fat long after you have stopped exercising. ie it raises resting metabolic rate.

During lockdown, my wisdom teeth decided to rot (painful!). As I couldn't visit the dentist, I decided to remove all sugar and sugary foods (like jam, ice-cream and all the nice stuff) from my diet to slow down the rot. As a result, I've ended up with a bmi of 20, and I'm at my lightest for 30 years. So (for me) removing sugar seems to be key to ridding fat. I don't think the weight loss was due to eating less calories as I was still eating as many-just with healthier foods.
  • webboo said:

Not sure to be honest, you might be right.

I went to a seminar ran by Polar, the guy there was a Running Coach for Team GB. It was him that I learnt about the Low Heart rate training from.

I figured if Team GB were doing it, then it must hold some weight (no pun intended).
    This was 3 years ago now, maybe things are different now?

I went away, ran/cycled a lot in Zone 2/3 and lost around 4 stone in 12 months. Diet didn't really change in that time, so I put it down to training at a low heart rate.

Look at almost any Marathon training plan for example, there is a significant amount of Zone 2 (slow) running. This is to build up muscle strength (knees, Calves), build endurance, stamina and reduce body fat.

I'm no expert (obviously), but I guess if you "think" it's working then that is half the battle.

It's just my opinion, but if you want to get fit, lose weight, etc then tracking Heart Rate is important. But that's just me, others may operate differently.

The OP wanted to lose a Stone in weight and was unfit, I just wanted to pass on my experiences as it may help.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    As Masjer says above the higher your heart rate the longer it is elevated so you burn more calories. The thing with low intensity is you need to do it for a reasonable duration, it’s not doing much if you only do it for an hours cycling.