Wiggles Prime Primavera Carbon Handlebar

redvision
redvision Posts: 2,958
edited February 2020 in Road buying advice
Anyone got a set of these?
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/prime-primavera-carbon-handlebar/

The reviews on wiggle are pretty impressive and they do seem very well priced.

Curious how aero they are and how they compare to more expensive aero bars.

Ta

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    I've got a couple of them. They're pretty good. They're light and they look aero (I have no way of knowing if they actually are or not). The cable routing holes are decently sized as well, so getting the cabled through is pretty easy. The tops are pretty comfy too, but this is likely because I have large hands. If your hands are smaller, you may struggle to grip the tops as they are quite wide.

Onto the negatives... I run with Sram levers. The bar has a bit of shaping to it through the clamp area. It's not fully round, it has a kind of oval section to it. That makes it so the Sram levers only fit in a specific position, so it can be difficult to get the levers into a good position. I assume that the bar was created with Shimano levers in mind, but I don't have any so can't test this. The area where the bar drops down behind the hoods is slightly odd too. I find it very comfortable with Etap HRD levers, less so with standard all cable ones. Again, this may have been designed with Shimano levers in mind.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Got a pair and they're great. Light, look the business, great value and nice to use. The drops allow a good range of hand positions and I particularly like the little flat dimples just behind the hoods for resting your wrists if you are in a flat-forearm aero position. Running Campagnolo and have no issues with lever positioning.
  • neeb
    One thing to note is that compared to a lot of other aero profiled bars the aero profiled bit stops quite a long way before the centre of the bars. This provides plenty of clamping space for computers, lights etc (I can even fit clip-on TT bars to mine although not all models will work), but it probably makes them less aero than bars that have longer flat sections.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Thanks for the comments.
    Sounds like the bars are really decent value.

I have di2 and was looking for a bar with internal routing and able to take a bar end di2 plug/port, which apparently these can.

I was very close to buying the aerofly 2 bar but it's almost double the price of the primavera.

What is the top of the bars like for grip and feel? The aerofly is textured on top to make it grippy and negate any need for bar tape (apart from on the drops). Does the primavera have a similar surface?

Thanks

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    The top isn't textured, but for me feels good, even though I only run bar tape up to just past the hoods. I do always wear gloves though, and have large hands which can wrap around the tops.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I've got them on my Reacto. The flat tops are a bit more forgiving and comfortable than the ones on the 3T Aeronova bars I had before. They're nice looking and the only downside for me, is the wiring for the bar end Di2 junction has to come down the outside rather than fully internal.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    They look pretty but don't kid yourself you'd notice any aero benefits over normal bars.
  • neeb
    fenix said:

They look pretty but don't kid yourself you'd notice any aero benefits over normal bars.

Shh... if you manage to kid yourself they're a significant benefit you'll push harder and go faster.. ;)
  • I've got a couple of them. They're pretty good. They're light and they look aero (I have no way of knowing if they actually are or not). The cable routing holes are decently sized as well, so getting the cabled through is pretty easy. The tops are pretty comfy too, but this is likely because I have large hands. If your hands are smaller, you may struggle to grip the tops as they are quite wide.

Onto the negatives... I run with Sram levers. The bar has a bit of shaping to it through the clamp area. It's not fully round, it has a kind of oval section to it. That makes it so the Sram levers only fit in a specific position, so it can be difficult to get the levers into a good position. I assume that the bar was created with Shimano levers in mind, but I don't have any so can't test this. The area where the bar drops down behind the hoods is slightly odd too. I find it very comfortable with Etap HRD levers, less so with standard all cable ones. Again, this may have been designed with Shimano levers in mind.

How did you manage to find a solution for the hood clamps? I’ve got the same problem and want my hoods much higher up on the bars but clamps won’t go any higher because of that strange oval shape. Running SRAM Red. Is it possible to buy wonder clamps that will have clearance for these bars? Any tips appreciated x

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Got them on the S3 with Red.

Look really good, comfy, love the shape and absolutely no problem with lever positioning. V stiff.

Tape just up to where the levers are, leave the flat and corners untaped as they are meant to be.

Very recommended.

Also running the ali version on the Soloist winter bike with a mediocre winter groupset and again, bob on. Superzero stem, looks mega. Finish scratches really easily tough so will probably end up getting powdercoated in a couple of winters time.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle

I've got a couple of them. They're pretty good. They're light and they look aero (I have no way of knowing if they actually are or not). The cable routing holes are decently sized as well, so getting the cabled through is pretty easy. The tops are pretty comfy too, but this is likely because I have large hands. If your hands are smaller, you may struggle to grip the tops as they are quite wide.

How did you manage to find a solution for the hood clamps? I’ve got the same problem and want my hoods much higher up on the bars but clamps won’t go any higher because of that strange oval shape. Running SRAM Red. Is it possible to buy wonder clamps that will have clearance for these bars? Any tips appreciated x

How do you mean? can you post a piccie?

My Red shifters are bob on with the 'bars....
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    edited February 2021
    Just had a quick look at these bars. They might not be suitable, if you want the shifter clamp higher than the etched markings.

It's all personal preference, of course.

Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    I was considering these bars but managed to acquire a aerofly 2 via EBay .

Unfortunately the internal routing isn’t great and I wish I had opted for my original choice of Primaeva.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Been eyeing them up for a while, but the 38cm I wanted to try is out of stock again, pondering getting a set of 38cm Doyenne (alloy aero version) to tide me over.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • MattFalle
    The Doyennes are really nice as well but as per above, the anodising scratches v easily - do you want a piccie of them in situ?
  • MattFalle said:

The Doyennes are really nice as well but as per above, the anodising scratches v easily - do you want a piccie of them in situ?

Maybe the two bikes with the alloy/carbon versions side by side would be good.

Stupid thing is I've kind of known since around Xmas I wanted the 38cm carbon Primaveras (having thought about buying a set of the carbon Selcof bars from PX which have now gone up to ~£130 from ~£100), but because I don't take the road bike out in the winter unless we have exceptionally good weather, I held back on the purchase and have them sitting in the box for several months... I'm often a purchase ditherer and I've paid for it this time for now.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • MattFalle
    Piccies below - S3 with a proper groupset and carbon' bars, Soloist with a winter training meh groupset that no one minds smashing up as its meh and grey and, well, tbh, heavyandshit with ali bars and superzero stem.
  • MattFalle

• MattFalle

• MattFalle

• MattFalle

• MattFalle

• MattFalle

• MattFalle
    edited February 2021
    hope that all looks ok
  • Cheers for that MF.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • MattFalle
    No worries dude - pleasure to help anytime.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    MF....

Is that an Ultegra groupset?
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,282
    johngti said:

MF....

He's carefully avoided showing off the hunt wheels :D
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • MattFalle
    johngti said:

MF....

it is, yes. 8000 series.

Came off the S3 as standard, replaced by Red, now its on the Soloist as the Soloist is the winter bike.

Its as I've said - Ultegra is perfect as a winter or training groupset, its just not good enough to be a "best bike" groupset. I just can't understand why people get a stiffie about it.

Its when you jump off tbe Red onto the Ultegra that you go "oh. thisisshit".
  • MattFalle
    pangolin said:

johngti said:

MF....

He's carefully avoided showing off the hunt wheels :D
    i slapped Zipp stickers on them to disguise them B)